Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
From the article:

"I was desperately hoping to receive the care I needed to save my baby," Burton wrote in her statement. "However, after a few days there, I did not feel I was receiving the care I needed, and instead of being allowed to leave or go to another hospital, I found myself being ordered by a judge to stay at Tallahassee Memorial and submit to all medical care from its hospital staff, whether I agreed or not."

Slap her? For what exactly?

For wanting freedom in the U.S.? Isn't this "legal" illegal imprisonment?

What's next ....FORCED sterilization? It's been done before in this country.

What if it wasn't pregnancy?

What if it was cancer?

You truly believe that WOMEN should not have a choice in who gives them medical care !!!!?????

Or if they get it?

How 19th century of you!!

What if was YOU?
To "slap upside the head" is a figure of speech, but you know that. Don't be so dramatic. Did you even read my other posts, or the thousands of other threads we have both been on about abortion. HINT - we're on the same side.

The advice the doctor gave her was appropriate, to stop smoking, and bedrest, and that is what I was referring to in the link you quoted. What was inappropriate, unethical, and in violation of her rights was to force her to comply, which is what I stated in all the other posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
One minute people don't want "the government" making medical decisions for them and then the next they want government telling women what to do with their bodies.
Pick a side, please.
That's an extremely good point ! And one the anti-choicers never have an answer for.

I think the key words are "PEOPLE" (don't want government interference) but it's OK if it's merely "WOMEN" who are controlled....the ultimate goal of anti-choicers..

Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Very true, but unfortunately this is an instance where one individual has to pay the price for the mistakes of someone else, FOR THEIR WHOLE LIFE!

I don't want your extreme worst case scenario of course. I do want women to own up to responsibility. If you wanna smoke/drink during pregnancy, just get an abortion. I never said anywhere I'm against that. I'm against damaging the fetus and then giving birth. Thats damage you can't undo. Make the choice, be a mother or don't, but don't be neglectful because you couldn't make the guy put on a condom and now you can't own up to the choice you made.

Again, I'm fine with a woman having the right to choose, whether or not to have a baby, but if you're going to have the baby you've made a choice to take on this responsibility, and your choices will impact what will become another human being for their entire life. If you can't be responsible, get the abortion.
She already has two kids too many. And was planning on having this one too.

Personally, abortion should be legal and easily accessible so that other measures don't have to be taken.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
While we know a lot about smoking what and could happen during pregnancy don't forget that millions of healthy babies have been born to smokers world-wide in the decades and decades before smoking fell out of favor. This is a very slippery slope to get into to court order a woman who isn't doing something that isn't advisable during pregnancy. What if her husband smokes and refuses to quit, are you going to order them to separate? Second-hand smoking is almost as bad. Where does it end?
Smoking also caused a lot of stillbirths and birth defects in the decades before.

If you want the abortion, fine. But no half-a$$ pregnancies. If you know something is an increased risk to the baby don't do it, or just get the abortion. There's still choice there, but it requires some responsibility.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Smoking also caused a lot of stillbirths and birth defects in the decades before.

If you want the abortion, fine. But no half-a$$ pregnancies. If you know something is an increased risk to the baby don't do it, or just get the abortion. There's still choice there, but it requires some responsibility.
That's pretty much the way I feel. On one hand, it should absolutely be the mothers choice to do what she wants with her body (and at that point, the fetus is part of her body). On the other hand, if you chose not to get an abortion and to go through with a pregnancy, why would you want to risk harming the fetus???

Old 01-28-2010, 12:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Pro life and this situation are totally different and yes, it is pro life not anti choice.

Mom didn't have an abortion, she just choose to use poor judgement. Do I want to see a law suit, absolutely not, should the doctor have a right to go to court to get her to do what is best for her baby, of course not. This whole story is totally out of wack.. As bad as smoking and drinking is for pregnant moms we all know heathly babies are often born to moms who do not take care of their bodies..It is time we are allowed to make our own decisions on these issues...

Nita

Old 01-28-2010, 05:35 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Pro life and this situation are totally different and yes, it is pro life not anti choice.

Mom didn't have an abortion, she just choose to use poor judgement. Do I want to see a law suit, absolutely not, should the doctor have a right to go to court to get her to do what is best for her baby, of course not. This whole story is totally out of wack.. As bad as smoking and drinking is for pregnant moms we all know heathly babies are often born to moms who do not take care of their bodies..It is time we are allowed to make our own decisions on these issues...

Nita
I love how people are all for freedom and not for responsibility. This woman made a choice to get pregnant and keep the baby, now she has a responsibility.

I've said it previously, yes babies are born to people that make bad choices and they come out healthy. Its a lot less likely though, and since the baby was a stillbirth, it seems like the doctor was right to want her to quit.

Lets argue this, if the woman continued to smoke and knew the risks, she wasn't competent to care for her child. You would call CPS if you saw a mother dumping a few shots of Jack Daniels into baby bottle. Same idea.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:44 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They don't. Children don't merit a "say" either.
Fetuses aren't children, they're parasites. Parasites don't get a say in what their hosts do, they just get to live off the resources they leech from the bodies.

Last edited by Sagran; 01-28-2010 at 05:54 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 05:46 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
While we know a lot about smoking what and could happen during pregnancy don't forget that millions of healthy babies have been born to smokers world-wide in the decades and decades before smoking fell out of favor. This is a very slippery slope to get into to court order a woman who isn't doing something that isn't advisable during pregnancy. What if her husband smokes and refuses to quit, are you going to order them to separate? Second-hand smoking is almost as bad. Where does it end?
LOL my midwife had no problem whatsoever with my smoking. None.

Easy pregnancy, easy delivery. Healthy baby.

And don't even get me started on the second-hand smoking hysteria.

Still, this patient had every right to refuse care. The issue at hand is having physicians who overstep their bounds and get court orders when they shouldn't.

Very different from a 72-hour hold for a patient who has overdosed on Xanax.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
Quote:
"The doctor said Burton's membranes had ruptured, that she was having early contractions and the fetus was in a breech position."
From the article, it wasn't just a matter of the smoking and that everything else was fine. This isn't really the place to give everyone here a crash course in obstetrics, but if these statements are true - to allow that mother to leave would have been malpractice. Also, with these conditions the mother's life was at risk as well (sepsis, severe bleeding, rupture of uterus are some things that come to mind). Obviously, many facts of the case are unavailable - so I'm just going by the article.

From me, (And some people don't believe there's such a thing as defensive medicine - ha! I guess the doc was trying to make an extra buck for himself and the hospital by keeping her longer and doing a c-section)

Last edited by tyanger; 01-28-2010 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies