U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 01-29-2010, 08:37 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
7,215 posts, read 3,159,583 times
Reputation: 2307
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
If he had implied that a Black man wasn't capable of being President or delivering the State of the Union then I would agree that it was racist. But he didn't do that.

Last year when Obama delivered his inaugural address and addressed a joint session of Congress, part of the story line was that this was the first time a Black man had every done this. This year I hadn't heard anybody go with that story line, at least until Chris made his statement, destroying the very moment he was trying to praise. Which was a Black man as President delivering the State of the Union and no one is talking about race.
If no one is talking about race, why did Matthews even bring it up?

He must have had concerns, ie racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 01-29-2010, 08:49 AM
 
7,304 posts, read 9,759,704 times
Reputation: 2712
People, particularly, but not exclusively, those on the Left, should just get over Obama's race. It was only important in that he broke the final barrier. But he broke it. Its done. His race is now otherwise irrelevant and unimportant. He is just a man. His race will have no bearing on his successes or failures.

I repeat- Get over it and shut up about it. The Left is flaunting it both as a weapon to silence his critics and as evidence of some kind of faux moral superiority. And its failing on both accounts. The former just makes them sound stupid. The latter gets them into trouble with their big mouths- ask Biden, Jackson, Clinton, Reid, and Matthews.

If you on the Left or the Right truly believe RACE is unimportant, that is, its not a sign of some kind of inferior nature, then treat it as such. Treat it like the irrelevancy it is. Ignore it. Obama himself does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-29-2010, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Alameda, CA
3,950 posts, read 1,021,825 times
Reputation: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
If no one is talking about race, why did Matthews even bring it up?

He must have had concerns, ie racist.
That is simply not the definition of racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-29-2010, 09:26 AM
 
621 posts, read 475,066 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This was hilarious!! Thanks for the share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-29-2010, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
19,872 posts, read 7,412,800 times
Reputation: 3615
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
That is simply not the definition of racist.
Just as the definition of "friend" has changed recently (I "friended" him/her), the definition of racist is now changing. Since liberals are branding Obama opponents as racist, it's fair to assume the consensus agrees the old definition no longer applies. Thus, Chris Matthews is still a racist, more so than Obama opponents because he specifically brought up race as opposed to agreeing/disagreeing based on policy alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-29-2010, 09:34 AM
 
621 posts, read 475,066 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
That is simply not the definition of racist.
The reason I thought it was racist was in how he supported his statement. Basically stating that he forgot he was black because he did so well.

In an earlier post in this thread, I listed the particular items that bugged me.

But, upon learning more about this guy, and seeing that he really is a genuine personality on TV. I would say that though the statement may have indicated a past racism or prejudice, it is potentially him evolving to to seeing the light. I would never think him to be anything hateful like a klan member or anything, no matter what though.

So, I have to applaud his bravery at exposing himself openly to the world and am hoping that it was indeed an epiphany and not an indication that Obama was a rare exception to an otherwise racist regard toward blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-29-2010, 09:34 AM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
7,215 posts, read 3,159,583 times
Reputation: 2307
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
That is simply not the definition of racist.
Not what you claim as your definition, but it is a definition of racist. Like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Alameda, CA
3,950 posts, read 1,021,825 times
Reputation: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Not what you claim as your definition, but it is a definition of racist. Like it or not.
Well I think I will stick with the dictionary definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Alameda, CA
3,950 posts, read 1,021,825 times
Reputation: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
The reason I thought it was racist was in how he supported his statement. Basically stating that he forgot he was black because he did so well.
I saw your prior post. Where in Chris' statement did Chris claim he forgot Obama was black because he did so well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:26 AM
 
621 posts, read 475,066 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I saw your prior post. Where in Chris' statement did Chris claim he forgot Obama was black because he did so well?
The bolded amber color

"I was trying to think about who he was tonight. It's interesting: he is post-racial, by all appearances. I forgot he was black tonight for an hour. You know, he's gone a long way to become a leader of this country, and passed so much history, in just a year or two. I mean, it's something we don't even think about.

I was watching, I said, wait a minute, he's an African-American guy in front of a bunch of other white people. And here he is president of the United States and we've completely forgotten that tonight — completely forgotten it. I think it was in the scope of his discussion. It was so broad-ranging, so in tune with so many problems, of aspects, and aspects of American life that you don't think in terms of the old tribalism, the old ethnicity. It was astounding in that regard. A very subtle fact. It's so hard to talk about. Maybe I shouldn't talk about it, but I am. I thought it was profound that way."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top