Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,924,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Rental insurance is not $5 a month. It`s more like $30.
State farm has policies (as does USAA) that BEGIN at $5/mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,503,961 times
I don't see them very much because they moved to a real poor area here in Tennessee. All I know is they made it out of the shack just in time but still got burnt you can see. The fire was caused by a woodstove.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,344,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I am very sorry your friend was hurt in such a way. It's a very painful thing to be in the burn unit with a great deal of follow up care. Hopefully he can work something out with the patient advocate to reduce the charges, though even at contract rates it should be near $48,000.

It is part of the problem though; unless many people get to see the hospital billing systems from the inside or from being in the unit people don't really understand the costs associated with care. By the time people see it first hand, it's too late to help many people.
Yes, but by "working it out" the hospital will then claim the rest as a tax write off, which impacts the rest of Americans who have to pay higher taxes to make up for the difference in the end anyway.

To me, this is the number reason why we need a national healthcare plan, or we need to allow hospitals to turn people away.

We are already paying for health care for the poor, you are already taxed to pay for it. You are already charged more when you go to the doctor, to make up for some of his loses for caring for the uninsured.

So, we either should cover everyone, which we already are, in the worst possible way. Or, we can pass a law saying if you don't want insurance, thats fine, but don't expect hospitals and doctors to do anything for you. You're on your own.

Thats the cold hard truth. All of these people saying "I don't want government healthcare" either have there own, and don't want it to change, or they don't understand the tax structure, or they are plain dense.

I fully support a government healthcare option, for those below a certain income level. Tax breaks for those who already buy their own insurance, and tax breaks for companies that offer their employees with a certain level of insurance.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,974,137 times
what does $5 a month cover? My insurance doesn`t do $5 a month.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:38 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,075,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamOrbit View Post
read my entire post
Yeah, I'm not sure how they missed the sarcasm.

It even says "end sarcasm." Come on, people. lol

+1 for you

Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,717,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A friend of mine was in Vanderbilt Hospital for three days in the burn unit and the medical bill is 80,000 dollars and this person has no medical insurance. Now I see why everyone needs health insurance without question. And this friend's wife was in and out as a out patient and her bill is 20,000.

John
Burns are very expensive and our son was burned badly this summer and the bill was over $7,000. We do have insurance, but still paid out quite a chunk. No one on this forum I believe has ever suggested not having insurance. Some of us don't want to pay for others to have it when it strips us of our chances to retire or to even pay our own premiums. Your friends can work something out with the burn unit and I am sure they would settle for less or take small payments. Maybe you could help them? Start a fund raiser? Something you could do for them would be nice.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:40 AM

williamorbit, I thought you were serious. My apologies.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 AM

5,469 posts, read 12,219,806 times
THe administration makes it sound like people are dropping in the streets because they're not getting treated. Insurance doesn't guaranty treatment. It just means you don't pick up the bill. YOu will, however, get treated, in any emergency room in this country. IT cannot be denied. Just ask illegals.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:48 AM

8,598 posts, read 9,095,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
State farm has policies (as does USAA) that BEGIN at $5/mo.
For crying out loud, insurance costs are different across State lines. And what the hell would 5 bucks pay for a month anyway, a button missing off your TV set?

There are many people who are covered that get serious injuries and are still denied coverage of one form or the other. In many cases large costs are fought by the insurance company in denial claims. The patient then finds themselves fighting for their life and livelihood at the worst juncture of their lives.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 AM

Proverbs 19:17 NKJV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies