U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:05 PM

621 posts, read 936,524 times

Advertisements

In an effort to learn about people's feelings about the labels they give themselves, I'd like this thread to include opinions on what it means to be a Liberal.

Don't reply if your just here to slam on the media outlets. But I'd love to see opinions from each ideology on what a Liberal stands for.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 02:06 PM

7,526 posts, read 7,210,674 times
Take from the haves and give to the have nots. That about sums it up.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 PM

17,722 posts, read 19,782,023 times
What does a liberal mean to me? It means being a SUPER-IDEOLOGUE and forcing your OPINIONS on others...... that's how they have been in the past, so that is what it means to me... until they start acting differently, my view will stay where it is...

Old 01-28-2010, 04:58 PM

19,121 posts, read 26,668,670 times
Well... I'm sorta liberal, so I'll give it a crack.

I believe that individuals have rights to do as they please as long as it doesn't harm anyone. Freedom to believe what you want, as long as you don't force it upon everyone else.

I also believe that we as a COMMUNITY should offer help as need be, but only in certain circumstances. Welfare aid should only be given to those most deserving, and only as temporary help. Drug testing and citizenship should be no brainer requirements to be eligible for aid. You should be thankful to get it, not feel entitled to it. But we should help out our community because we are only as strong as our weakest link.

I believe in free speech, even if you don't like it. Yes, even the KKK and the Westboro Baptist Church should have their own little soapboxes to complain on. Education will make the populace ultimately roll their collective eyes at them and ignore them.

I believe in education. ALL KINDS. From trade schools to advanced degrees, everyone that wants to be educated should be educated. I also think if you don't want to be educated, you should not be forced. BUT, you reap what you sow. I don't think college should be as expensive as it currently is. It's ridiculously overpriced. College benefits society as a whole

I left out my more 'middle of the road' beliefs in favor of my more 'liberal' ones. I do swing right on some issues as well, so I'm not ALL right wing or ALL left wing, which would be silly.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:02 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,238,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well... I'm sorta liberal, so I'll give it a crack.

I believe that individuals have rights to do as they please as long as it doesn't harm anyone. Freedom to believe what you want, as long as you don't force it upon everyone else.

I also believe that we as a COMMUNITY should offer help as need be, but only in certain circumstances. Welfare aid should only be given to those most deserving, and only as temporary help. Drug testing and citizenship should be no brainer requirements to be eligible for aid. You should be thankful to get it, not feel entitled to it. But we should help out our community because we are only as strong as our weakest link.

I believe in free speech, even if you don't like it. Yes, even the KKK and the Westboro Baptist Church should have their own little soapboxes to complain on. Education will make the populace ultimately roll their collective eyes at them and ignore them.

I believe in education. ALL KINDS. From trade schools to advanced degrees, everyone that wants to be educated should be educated. I also think if you don't want to be educated, you should not be forced. BUT, you reap what you sow. I don't think college should be as expensive as it currently is. It's ridiculously overpriced. College benefits society as a whole

I left out my more 'middle of the road' beliefs in favor of my more 'liberal' ones. I do swing right on some issues as well, so I'm not ALL right wing or ALL left wing, which would be silly.
A thumbs up for answering the OP truthfully and honestly.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,288,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
In an effort to learn about people's feelings about the labels they give themselves, I'd like this thread to include opinions on what it means to be a Liberal.

Don't reply if your just here to slam on the media outlets. But I'd love to see opinions from each ideology on what a Liberal stands for.

Thanks!
Liberal, means never having to say you're sorry.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:48 PM

12,358 posts, read 7,742,541 times
I agree with how JFK defined Liberal in his acceptance speech as quoted here:

.....But if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal."

Read the full definition here: A Liberal Definition by JFK (http://www.liberalparty.org/JFKLPAcceptance.html - broken link)

Old 01-28-2010, 09:53 PM

24,839 posts, read 30,066,225 times
I don't call myself a "liberal" but I lean left, so here you go...
I think people should have the freedom to live as they please as long as they aren't hurting anyone else. That is why I am pro gay marriage and pro choice. Actually, I'm in favor of civil unions for everyone. These are areas where the government does not belong. I believe individuals as well as society in general could benefit from some social programs like medicine, and maternity leave. It does make me angry to see people abuse the system. But I think programs that encourage people to work are worthwhile. I think law should be based in science, not religion. I'm in favor of stem cell research. Basically, I'm a leftie because I have the capacity to feel for other people, and realize that life is not fair, and sometimes people need a little help. As far as the economy, I'm no expert, but I compare Wall Street to a teenager. We gave them a credit card, and they abused the privilege. The discrepancy between the salaries of the CEO's and the worker bees pisses me off. We gave straight capitalism a chance, and the people in charge failed us. Now they need to be regulated. That pretty much sums it up. More than anything, I am a registered democrat because on the social issues, there is no way in hell I could ever align with the right.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:55 PM

5,856 posts, read 6,908,700 times
What does being a "liberal" mean to me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTv1Dmu5CYc

This is what it means...

Old 01-28-2010, 10:01 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,230,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
... We gave straight capitalism a chance, and the people in charge failed us. Now they need to be regulated.. .
Sounds like Chavez's way of thinking:

http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/cop15-chavez-150x150.jpg (broken link)

Green Blog Blog Archive Watch Hugo Chavez: Capitalism is the way to the destruction of the planet

Gateway Pundit (http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/2009/12/chavez-tells-copenhagen-summit-capitalism-is-the-road-to-hell-gets-rousing-ovation/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies