Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:00 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Very true, it's amazing how many liberals will continue to believe in The Myth of the Clinton Surplus That's some good PR the dems did to get so many people to believe it though.
Oh good. Craig Steiner again. Another know-nothing internet whackjob who can't tell the difference between debt and deficit. Should have known that he'd make an appearance soon. But here...this is a speech given in late 2000 to the Bond Marketing Association in New York by an actual expert, then Treasury Under Secretary Gary Gensler. Let him explain what Craig Steiner can't -- i.e., what actually happened.

Remarks by Under Secretary Gensler.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:37 PM

58,944 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Where have you been for the last 8 years?
Come out of your gated community and speak to anyone on Main Street to find the answer.
You made a claim that I don't support. All I ask is for you to prove it. If you can't just say so.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wow, you went through a lot of keying to tell me something I already knew. The bill is written by members... Members at the table.. If you arent one of the ones at the table, then you get the AMEND the bill.. And since you admitted there was some 180+/- Republican amendments, this proves that these Republicans were not the ones to write the bill.
You know far too little of it. Else neither your earlier post nor this one would have appeared on my screen as I scrolled through this thread.

Quote:
Shall we compare this to the number of Democratic amendments? I'd be curious to hear those numbers.
I don't know and am not willing to go look up the exact number of amendments by either party. But here you can get a sense of things. In this 3-minute video, HELP Committee Chairman Dodd seeks consideration of a number of amendments to the bill...

Senate Republicans Block Own Amendments

Quote:
Wrong.. Its 100% accurate. If every Democrat voted yes on a bill, it CAN NOT BE STOPPED by Republicans.. THIS IS A FACT.
It has not been a fact except on those very few days since September 25 that Robert Byrd has been wheeled onto the Senate floor. It will again cease being a fact once Scott Brown's election is certified and he is sworn in, thus very likely becoming the first nude male model ever to serve in that august body.

Last edited by saganista; 01-29-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 03:54 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,240 times
There was never a surplus in the late 90s and early 00s if you include discretionary spending, which true to its nature appears off budget. In 2000, Gore and Bush ran on tax cuts claiming that there were huge surpluses as far as the eye could see. Glad that worked out so well....

Old 01-29-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
BS this whole thread is to blame Republicans..
I wouldn't know. I didn't start the thread. All I did was point out that your grossly inaccurate statement was grossly inaccurate.

Quote:
You guess... For someone who likes to pretend to be accurate, "I guess" doesnt count it, unless you can backup what multip bill dollar settlements took place.. More hyperbold exageration from liberals..
Real quick on the take-up, there. That was mere mockery of the absurd Republican notion that tort reform would make any noticeable bit of difference in the overall costs of health care.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Bait and switch much? You were originally speaking about the House bill, NOT the senate bill. Let's not forget to include all the federally unfunded STATE mandates in that bill that puts the bulk of the cost directly on the states. Simple manipulation of the figures, but that's par for your course.
No, I referred only to the majority bill. I don't care which bill you use, the pathetic Republican alternative does virtually nothing, and it STILL manages to be more expensive.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
There was never a surplus in the late 90s and early 00s if you include discretionary spending, which true to its nature appears off budget.
What??? The only programs that are currently off-budget are Social Security and the US Postal Service. The concept of discretionary spending has absolutely nothing to do with it. And there very well were budget surpluses from 1998 to 2001 and you could confirm that fact simply by looking it up in any reputable reference work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
In 2000, Gore and Bush ran on tax cuts claiming that there were huge surpluses as far as the eye could see. Glad that worked out so well....
The ten-year projections were for surpluses of more than $5 trillion when Clinton left office. A lot of work by a lot of people had gone into getting us to that point. Bush trashed all of it in a matter of weeks with his boneheaded tax cuts for the rich ideas...

Old 01-30-2010, 07:22 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,113,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Nice straw man whining. You have majorities in the House and Senate. Shut up and govern. If your side had any balls they'd do what they propose instead of begging token GOPers to join them to give them cover and the illusion of bi-partisanship. Man up you leftwing *******. Bring it on. Elections have consequences right? So go ahead and govern or get out of the way why don't you? Pass your pet legislation why don't you? You have the numbers. You asked for the job there Obama now one year in you want to **** and whine about it? Love him or hate him at least Dubya had balls. Obama's? They're in Pelosi's desk drawer.
No..Dubya had Cheney , Rumsfeld and Rove. If he had balls, they were in his head and should be referred to as marbles and I might add that most were missing.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:24 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,096,991 times
Lets be honest, pretty much all of the career politicians who have sunk the nation into debt are whiny babies who don't want to take responsibility for their spending, or giving away money via tax cuts that really shouldn't have been made.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:17 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,374,384 times
Default Republican politics are ruining this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
For 8 years, this country went through pure hell while Republicans made it clear that they haven't a clue on domestic issues. Line every domestic problem that faced this country, and the Republicans did not come up with any solutions. The result? The biggest mess since The Great Depression! George Bush really stunk up the place something fierce. Republicans absolutely pathetic.

Now, instead of doing what they can to help their superiors solve the nation's problems, all they do is try to obstruct. Nothing from them on national health care, THEY JUST DON'T WANT OBAMA TO SUCCEED. Not a clue on the economy, THEY JUST DON'T WANT OBAMA'S PLANS TO WORK.

It is quite clear here in the beginning of the 21st century that current crop of Republicans are the most backwards political group in the history of this country.
Over three years have passed since I posted this, and it still RINGS TRUE.

Republican politics are stagnating the living hell out of this country. This is a party which was unconcerned while Bush turned a SURPLUS to a record deficit, and decimated the economy. They don't understand that you don't focus on the deficit when the economy is trying to recover from 8 horrific years of Bush/Republican inept policies. You focus on the deficit when the economy is booming.

President Obama, as usual, holds the superior position. Republicans? An embarrassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.