Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 04:48 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,312,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I wonder if the gay liberals offended by the muslims realize that they are the same ones who laud the ACLU when they sue to protect the rights of the same Muslims who want to kill them simply because they are gay?

Muslims in the countries mentioned have zero tolerance for liberal ideology. Last time I checked there was not a single area in north america under sharia law.

I also not that the same liberals who take offense to the Islamic position on homosexuality are the same people who state "the US has no business meddling in Iraq or any other sovereign nation.". If that is their position not sure why they would try and legislate sanctions against a nation that has opposing viewpoints. If you don't want to get hanged for being gay, don't move to Iran.

I support equal rights for homos here, and have no problem granting them civil unions. Ironic that they demand respect here but take offense to a religion for their viewpoint.
It's the liberals who cannot condemn Islamic law in this thread without pointing out that Christianity is just as bad. Never mind that we most likely have the most liberal laws with regard to homosexuality in comparison to ANY muslim country the world wide. No, our laws are not perfect, but they certainly don't prescribe death for the act of sodomy.

Simply put, Islamic law promotes and institutionalizes human rights abuses across the board... whether it be women's rights, children's rights, or homosexual rights. It is a religion and political ideology that is based in exclusion and lack of tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 04:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
What can I say. If you are gay and want to live your life the way you see fit avoid Muslim dominated countries. Of the hundreds of countries only 48 are Muslim controled.
9 of which impose the death penalty.
7 impose life in prison.
Avoid those countries. Why make the big fuss about it?
As for the folks who live in these countries? Their choice, and none of our business.

Last edited by tinman01; 01-29-2010 at 05:09 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 04:55 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,068,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
It's the liberals who cannot condemn Islamic law in this thread without pointing out that Christianity is just as bad. Never mind that we most likely have the most liberal laws with regard to homosexuality in comparison to ANY muslim country the world wide. No, our laws are not perfect, but they certainly don't prescribe death for the act of sodomy.

Simply put, Islamic law promotes and institutionalizes human rights abuses across the board... whether it be women's rights, children's rights, or homosexual rights. It is a religion and political ideology that is based in exclusion and lack of tolerance.
As compared to American standards, it certainly might look that way to the uninformed. But we have GOT to stop judging the rest of the world by our standards. They are NOT US. They operate on a totally different premise. You cannot compare their culture to ours any more than you can compare a herd of goats! (no disrespect to Islam intended).

It is the most obscene act of hubris in the universe the way Americans think that everyone must live as we dictate. Shame on anyone who thinks this way.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2010, 05:03 PM

267 posts, read 1,359,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Countries where Homosexuality is punishable by death:

Yemen
United Arab Emirates
Saudi Arabia
Iran
Pakistan
Afghanistan
Sudan
Nigeria
Mauritania
Interesting list considering that my brother is gay and within the last year on Facebook and from what he has told me not only has he received "friend request" by gay men in many of the countries on this list..but oddly many of these same guys would often out of the blue send nude pics of themselves often having gay sex. If gay sex is punishable by death in these places one would think these guys would be scared to death to even consider sending some guy thousands of miles away graphic sexual emails not too mention sending pics of themselves having gay sex. Either they dont care or perhaps maybe not even know.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:05 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,455,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Countries where Homosexuality is punishable by death:

Yemen
United Arab Emirates
Saudi Arabia
Iran
Pakistan
Afghanistan
Sudan
Nigeria
Mauritania

Countries where Homosexuality is punishable by Life Imprisonment:

India (in the process of being legalized)
Uganda
Guyana
Bangladesh
Bhutan
Maldives
Nepal
Singapore
India? Uganda? Singapore? Guyana? Nepal? Those are now Muslim countries? Wow, how things change!

My information does not have Bhutan as having life imprisonment, but a one-year sentence. (And it's not Muslim either, for that matter.)

Taking the first nine, where there is a theoretical death penalty, you'd be hard pressed to find any other than Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia or Iran when any death penalty for homosexuality was actually enforced any time in the recent past.

BTW several states including liberal Michigan had a theoretical life sentence for homosexuality right up until the Supreme Court struck down this country's sodomy laws on June 26, 2003. I don't recall any right-wingers jumping for joy when that happened, but maybe it's just my memory at fault.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:13 PM

971 posts, read 1,292,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
India? Uganda? Singapore? Guyana? Nepal? Those are now Muslim countries? Wow, how things change!

My information does not have Bhutan as having life imprisonment, but a one-year sentence. (And it's not Muslim either, for that matter.)

Taking the first nine, where there is a theoretical death penalty, you'd be hard pressed to find any other than Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia or Iran when any death penalty for homosexuality was actually enforced any time in the recent past.

BTW several states including liberal Michigan had a theoretical life sentence for homosexuality right up until the Supreme Court struck down this country's sodomy laws on June 26, 2003. I don't recall any right-wingers jumping for joy when that happened, but maybe it's just my memory at fault.
Very true. It's like anywhere - maximum penalties are rarely handed out (hell, the average time served for murder in the US is something like 7 years). Very few people are executed for homosexuality anywhere. Very few are even arrested for it.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,455,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
It's the liberals who cannot condemn Islamic law in this thread without pointing out that Christianity is just as bad. Never mind that we most likely have the most liberal laws with regard to homosexuality in comparison to ANY muslim country the world wide.
Christianity and Islam are both pitifully stupid manifestations of the same perverted desert-religion. If one is nicer to gay people than the other, great for it, whoopie, and I'm glad, but what else are we supposed to say about it? It's still a superstition for dunces.

Maybe people who believe in astrology are really super-SUPER-nice to gay people. What would that prove about the validity of astrology? Not much.

The trendy exploitation of gay rights by the Christian right-wing--which almost uniformly opposed even the abolition of criminal sodomy laws in this country--would be comical if it weren't so infuriating.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
If a = b and b = c then a = c. Think about that.
Does not compute. Sorry.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What can I say. If you are gay and want to live your life the way you see fit avoid Muslim dominated countries. Of the hundreds of countries only 48 are Muslim controled.
9 of which impose the death penalty.
7 impose life in prison.
Avoid those countries. Why make the big fuss about it?
As for the folks who live in these countries? Their choice, and none of our business.
Yeah, actually it is our business if we believe that human rights are being violated. I do.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:50 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,312,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
As compared to American standards, it certainly might look that way to the uninformed. But we have GOT to stop judging the rest of the world by our standards. They are NOT US. They operate on a totally different premise. You cannot compare their culture to ours any more than you can compare a herd of goats! (no disrespect to Islam intended).

It is the most obscene act of hubris in the universe the way Americans think that everyone must live as we dictate. Shame on anyone who thinks this way.

20yrsinBranson
Beyond basic human rights, I don't care what any other country does with regard to social laws. I'm not judging the rest of the world by United States standards so please stop with that fallacy. I'm not advocating muslim countries adopt "Western" culture, but I do not have to personally agree with their culture of oppression either.

With regard to being "uninformed", I will take issue. Are you a self-professed expert on all things Islam? I don't recall ever proclaiming to be one, but I am far from uninformed. Do you know the history of Islam and the teachings of Muhammed? Have you studied his life history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies