Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:54 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yeah, actually it is our business if we believe that human rights are being violated. I do.

So the war in Iraq is justified because we ousted a ruthless dictator who killed millions of his own citizens simply because they had opposing ideology? That is a human right violation, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
So the war in Iraq is justified because we ousted a ruthless dictator who killed millions of his own citizens simply because they had opposing ideology? That is a human right violation, right?
I think we have a right and moral obligation to address human rights violations world-wide. I'm not advocating war, and I don't profess to know the best route to accomplish this either. Perhaps through the framework of the UN, but to take a stance against human rights violators is well within our rights.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Where has hatred against gays for centuries come from, anyway? The Bible?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Beyond basic human rights, I don't care what any other country does with regard to social laws. I'm not judging the rest of the world by United States standards so please stop with that fallacy. I'm not advocating muslim countries adopt "Western" culture, but I do not have to personally agree with their culture of oppression either.

With regard to being "uninformed", I will take issue. Are you a self-professed expert on all things Islam? I don't recall ever proclaiming to be one, but I am far from uninformed. Do you know the history of Islam and the teachings of Muhammed? Have you studied his life history?
Personally I do not consider being allowed to vote as a "basic human right" so you have contradicted yourself with the statement that you do not care what another country does with regard to its social laws.

If you say that it is somehow wrong that a Muslim woman cannot drive a car, then you are advocating that they should adopt or at least consider Western culture, because you feel that the way they do things is somehow wrong.

As for Muhammed, I have not studied his life history yet. However, I do not believe that what he did before he received the prophecy from God is particularly important. Obviously, every aspect of his life would be forever altered and certainly he would not be the same man. So that part really is not important to me.

And no, I do not claim to be an expert in Islam. But I have studied it and am thinking about possibly converting one of these days when the time is right. Islam has the highest conversion rate in the world, by the way - especially from westerners and people in the United States and, WOMEN! lol Seems to me that if it was so awful, women wouldn't want so badly to be a part of it. I have studied many religions extensively and it is the only one I have ever considered becoming a part of.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2010, 09:01 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Is that the justification this week?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Sure, the Bible and religion have played large roles, but I think that human nature plays a bigger role. It's natural to react negatively with fear and distrust of people and ideas that seem foreign or threatening, and then those negative reactions become normalized in our culture. We're raised to believe that some things are inherently bad. One result is the ironic fact that many homosexuals go through life with mixed feelings of attraction and repulsion when they see two people of the same sex kissing; it's not just heterosexuals who think it's wrong at first glance.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No way! The bible tells you to love one another and turn the other check. Sounds a little gay to me, and not very hateful.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yeah, actually it is our business if we believe that human rights are being violated. I do.
Agreed. Evil needs to be confronted.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
As compared to American standards, it certainly might look that way to the uninformed. But we have GOT to stop judging the rest of the world by our standards. They are NOT US. They operate on a totally different premise. You cannot compare their culture to ours any more than you can compare a herd of goats! (no disrespect to Islam intended).

It is the most obscene act of hubris in the universe the way Americans think that everyone must live as we dictate. Shame on anyone who thinks this way.

20yrsinBranson
And yet this same group, whom you claim we should not judge, are themselves judging homosexuals to such an extent they prescribe death for them.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:40 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Muslim student adviser: Death penalty for 'gays'
So says Vanderbilt Islamic Professor in video question/answer

Vanderbilt University is distancing itself from a Muslim chaplain after he told a gathering of students homosexuality is punishable by death under Islam.

"I don't have a choice as a Muslim to accept or reject teachings. I go with what Islam teaches," said Awadh A. Binhazim, who is listed on the Vanderbilt website as "Adjunct Professor of Islam at the Divinity School" and an adviser to the Muslim Student Association. His comments came earlier this week at a diversity event for students.

He was asked directly, "Under Islamic law is it punishable by death if you are a homosexual?"
Binhazim said, "Yes. It is punishable by death."

Here is the video

This is why liberals hate christianity and love Islam. They pine for thier own destruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies