Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM

841 posts, read 2,260,812 times

Advertisements

1) If you've been reading this forum, it should not come as a surprise.
2) Head on to Sarah Palin's Facebook Page, and read the comments left by her yokels.

Enjoy

Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
I think I can agree with the OP. I completely identify myself as a conservative, but thinking that two people of the same sex shouldn't not be allowed to marry and/or thinking that what they do is your business scarifices a few IQ points.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
If the study parses conservatives along social and economic lines, then it should do the same with liberals when comparing them. You don't compare apples to vegetables. You compare apples to peas. You don't compare Mary to boys. You compare Mary to John.

Personally my favorite study on liberals versus conservatives is the one that shows conservatives give more money to charity and that there is a correlation between charitable behavior and religion and attitude about the role of government.

Study (published at the end of 2006) by registered independent Arthur C. Brooks, a college professor:

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Conservatives More Liberal Givers

Quote:
1. People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of 4 times more than people who accept that proposition.

2. Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

3. Lliberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, but conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household.

4. Conservatives donate more time and give more blood.

5. Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

6. In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent."

Oh yeah, and it points out that liberal wealthy Austin is a cheapskate city that ranked 48th out of America's 50 largest cities in per capita charitable giving by The Chronicle of Philanthropy.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Can you please describe what religious beliefs fall under your definition of "Christian Taliban"?
Certainly Cyber Queen. The Christian Taliban are Christian fundamentalist who feel the need to impose their religion, morals, and social values on everyone else. They believe the USA should be a christian nation, that the laws should be christian based, that there should be no separation between church and state, that religion and not science be taught in schools, that research should be banned because it offends them, that abortion be banned, that gays shouldn't be married, that drugs shouldn't be legalized, etc. Oddly they tend to be pro-war, pro-big government (in regards to police state and government spying), pro-death penalty, and believe in harsh punishments for crime which seems like the opposite of what Jesus would believe.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
And this post also explains a lot about yourself as well. Sad that so many people resort to studies about other people to make themselves feel better. Do you really think anyone identified with this group are going to lose any sleep over what you think about them?
Thank you for providing an example.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:59 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Certainly Cyber Queen. The Christian Taliban are Christian fundamentalist who feel the need to impose their religion, morals, and social values on everyone else. They believe the USA should be a christian nation, that the laws should be christian based, that there should be no separation between church and state, that religion and not science be taught in schools, that research should be banned because it offends them, that abortion be banned, that gays shouldn't be married, that drugs shouldn't be legalized, etc. Oddly they tend to be pro-war, pro-big government (in regards to police state and government spying), pro-death penalty, and believe in harsh punishments for crime which seems like the opposite of what Jesus would believe.
Thank you. I personally do not fall into the type of Christian you describe and I do not agree with any person that feels as you have described. Thank you again for the description and I would tend to agree with the study about the IQ because what you have described IMO is very close minded.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:01 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Aren't they the same people who scream the loudest about not wanting to live in a 'nanny' state?

Very provocative study, I must say.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Thank you. I personally do not fall into the type of Christian you describe and I do not agree with any person that feels as you have described. Thank you again for the description and I would tend to agree with the study about the IQ because what you have described IMO is very close minded.
Basically they hold very similar views to the actual Taliban, but swap Allah for Jesus. If they were in charge of the USA the USA would be like how Afghanistan was under the Taliban, but instead of Islam it would be Christianity. Some people assume I refer to all Christians when I use the term 'Christian Taliban'. This is not so. I only call Christian extremist , who are a very small minority of Christians, the Christian Taliban. Pat Robinson or Westboro Baptist are examples of Christian Taliban.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
So then the gay taliban are people who want to impose their views on others and the christian taliban is one that resist changing their views to accomndate what they don't believe iin. Sounds logical to gays and leftist maybe but I'll skip that theory.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:09 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,484 times
Quote:
Basically they hold very similar views to the actual Taliban, but swap Allah for Jesus. If they were in charge of the USA the USA would be like how Afghanistan was under the Taliban, but instead of Islam it would be Christianity. Some people assume I refer to all Christians when I use the term 'Christian Taliban'. This is not so. I only call Christian extremist , who are a very small minority of Christians, the Christian Taliban. Pat Robinson would be an example of Christian Taliban.

Fair enough and thank you for the clarification. Being a Christian I don't like the association being made to the Taliban but I understand what you are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies