Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:20 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
0bama was just a flat out inept leader, which is why he let Pelosi and Reid set the agenda and do whatever they wanted, 0bama was just there to cheer lead for them.
I honestly did not know how fractious the Democratic Party was. Of course it's reasonable to expect people in both parties to not agree on every single issue (the ultra-liberal don't agree with the Blue Dogs and the ultra-conservatives don't agree with the RINOs), but I cannot believe that the Democrats have blown it. Did they not have one single piece of legislation that they could get their members to agree at least in part with?

I used the example before of Newt Gingrich and his Contract with America. You may not like what they tried to get passed, but you'd be foolish to call them unprepared. I remember their "100 bills in 100 days" (most of which were stalled in the Senate or vetoed by Clinton). In the current Congress' case, their legislation wouldn't have been halted in the Senate OR vetoed by Obama...and they STILL couldn't get anything done.

The Democrats were elected in November and sworn in in January. Two months is a long time to get your core issues down so that when the public gives you golden egg (like their Supermajority), they'd be prepared to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 03:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
The obstructionist party...who refuses to compromise and work together with the other side... even when our lives are at stake!

All for political gain because they know that if Obama has nothing to show in 2012 ...they'll look good.

So they've calculated that if they just drag their heels and lob enough wrenches they'll be back in power and they can continue business as usual. The same business that has been going on for 8 years of solid GOP power and what has brought a once power nation to it's knees.

Nice work GOP.
Keep it up and maybe we'll forget who really is to blame here.
doesn't that go for both sides? I guess you expect the Republicans to support the Democrats but it is ok for the Dems to not support Republican ideas..

Nita

Old 01-30-2010, 03:48 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
doesn't that go for both sides? I guess you expect the Republicans to support the Democrats but it is ok for the Dems to not support Republican ideas..

Nita

[MOD CUT] Most liberals are like that.

The dems have had total control of congress for 3 years and have accomplished ZERO.

Add in another year with total control of the country and they have accomplished again ZERO.

3 long years of the liberals controlling everything and all those things they wanted to fix and do.

The party of ZERO accomplishments is for sure going to be out of control soon.

They screwed over the America people by not getting us REAL health care reform.

Instead they left out the republicans from all talks, would not listen to any republicans ideas and added in tons of pork, earmarks ( Obama lied again on ) and crap that was not HC related to kill the bill.

Thanks to the dems many people who need AFFORDABLE Low Cost HEATH CARE now cannot get it.
They have failed us once again.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-31-2010 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: discuss topics not other posters

Old 01-30-2010, 03:50 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
The obstructionist party...who refuses to compromise and work together with the other side... even when our lives are at stake!

All for political gain because they know that if Obama has nothing to show in 2012 ...they'll look good.

So they've calculated that if they just drag their heels and lob enough wrenches they'll be back in power and they can continue business as usual. The same business that has been going on for 8 years of solid GOP power and what has brought a once power nation to it's knees.

Nice work GOP.
Gridlock is what we all need in DC. I would do whatever it takes to promote gridlock in DC.

blowoutcongress.com

Old 01-30-2010, 03:51 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
The Democrats are saints, the GOP :evil:

Seriously, vote out ALL incumbants and start fresh, maybe with people who aren't obligated to corporations, fueled by greed and hold the will of the people second(BOTH SIDES).
blowoutcongress.com

Old 01-30-2010, 03:59 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
democrats were able to approve a Supreme Court nominee. They were able to pass the largest budget in history. They were able to raise taxes on tobacco. They were able to pass a "stimulous" bill. They were able to approve spending for Haiti. They have been able to raise the debt ceiling a couple of times.

Yet, when it comes to health "care" cap and trade and stuff the republicans are blocking them?????? Total nonsense.

C-D really should check the title of these threads and delete the ones that are trolling. It would be a much better site.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:03 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
LOL, don't listen or read anything the Republicans say or write then say they are obstructionists. Just a game the Dems are playing. Read what the Republicans have to say then make up your own mind. Also, to remind you the Dems are in control and are the majority. They do not need the Republicans so why blame them for not getting things done? Just stupid.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:11 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Seriously though..I have come to this realization myself...these damn republicans will watch the country go straight to hell, just so that they can hold on to their little ideological stronghold...

Like the healthcare thing...there is no reason that Republicans should be as opposed to this healthcare reform as they have been...no reason...they are politicizing a humanitarian issue, if you ask me. The vote in Mass. wasnt a referendum on healthcare at all, I dont think.

No one in their right mind would deny the reality that poor people need healthcare as well...that existing conditions need to be given less weight in insurance consideration. Yet republicans are seeking to hamstring a measure that would ameliorate these concerns...

They are selfish. I was thinking this the other day: Although I am disappointed as hell in Democrats, and Im glad I didnt vote for any, and although I think they're doing a terrible job, if Republicans think they're going to win in November just because they have vilified Democrats for two years and they're not Democrats, they are going to be in for a rude awakening...because there are many people who, like me, dont view their INACTION and their refusal to negotiate or present solutions, as any more positive than the things that Democrats are doing..

Old 01-30-2010, 04:16 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Seriously though..I have come to this realization myself...these damn republicans will watch the country go straight to hell, just so that they can hold on to their little ideological stronghold...

Like the healthcare thing...there is no reason that Republicans should be as opposed to this healthcare reform as they have been...no reason...they are politicizing a humanitarian issue, if you ask me. The vote in Mass. wasnt a referendum on healthcare at all, I dont think.

No one in their right mind would deny the reality that poor people need healthcare as well...that existing conditions need to be given less weight in insurance consideration. Yet republicans are seeking to hamstring a measure that would ameliorate these concerns...

They are selfish. I was thinking this the other day: Although I am disappointed as hell in Democrats, and I think they're doing a terrible job, if Republicans think they're going to win in November just because they have vilified Democrats for two years and they're not Democrats, they are going to be in for a rude awakening...because there are many people who like me, dont view their INACTION and their refusal to negotiate, as any more positive than the things that Democrats are doing..
Ronald Reagan signed a bill into law in 1986 that granted access to healthcare for everyone in this country. Everyone. Whether they are here legally or not.

And why dont democrats just propose a plan that would expand medicaid? That would coer the people you are talking about.

Anyway, you miss the entire point. Democrats can pass any bill they want. They don't need one single republican vote. It's just a lie to say otherwise. A big fat lie.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:26 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:

Nice work GOP.
Do you know what? If Congress packed up and left Washington for the next ten years this country would thrive. I feel safest when Congress and my state legislature are in recess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies