Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Believe the Administration Has Made a Deliberate Attempt to Paint Iraq as Responsible for 9/1
YES 26 65.00%
NO 14 35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:54 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,496,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I guess you are one of the few smart enough not to fall for such a dasterdly trick...
I am. I was against the invasion of Iraq the moment it appeared in discussion. I predicted the Bush administration would do it regardless of the facts. I listened to the promises that we would be greeted as liberators, that Iraqi oil would pay the bills, that there would be a valid coalition of important nations, that it would be over in a short time, that spreading democracy would tame the Middle East, that few troops would be needed, and all the rest of the bunkem that they spewed before the invasion, and I declared it all crap, at the time, before the invasion. I said the Saddam could be contained with our troops around his borders, with our surveillance and with our overflights, and that he presented absolutely no danger to us or anyone else outside his borders. I said that he was no worse than dozens of other dictators as a threat to his own people. I siad that it would take hundreds of thousands of troops and hundreds of Billions of dollars to maintain our position, and I predicted thousands of American deaths. My wife joined me in being against this invasion for the simple reason that it is against all that America stands for in the last 75 years to pre-emptively invade another nation that has caused us no harm.

Time has proven that I was absolutely correct in every one of my predictions. What can you claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 12:19 PM

126 posts, read 548,912 times
You know, when you are responsible for running one of the largest, free countries in the world....you can't afford to "be wrong, just make a mistake".

It is no mistake when you invade a country under false pretenses in order to further your own financial and political gain! And those of your cronies!
And if it were "just a mistake"....why wasn't the "mistake" rectified when all accounts have proven that there were, indeed, no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq?!
I don't believe the govt mis-led the US public by pointing the finger of blame at Iraq for 9/11....I feel they flat out went against all policy and reason and invaded a country under totally false pretenses: WMD!
All false. Now we are stuck in another Vietnam, in a country we have no business being in, sacrificing our own young people, like lambs to the slaughter, all for the advancement and hidden gain of a select few "war ciminals", akaoliticians, in office. Disgusting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpoint View Post
You liberals are always looking for a conspiracy theory. You crack me up. People just can't be wrong or make a mistake...it always has to be a conspiracy.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:29 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,084,555 times
Very close to my own sentiments and now I've had to live through both of these mistakes.

I wonder if anyone is old enough to remember a very popular 60s book; it was called "the ugly american."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyHeart View Post
You know, when you are responsible for running one of the largest, free countries in the world....you can't afford to "be wrong, just make a mistake".

It is no mistake when you invade a country under false pretenses in order to further your own financial and political gain! And those of your cronies!
And if it were "just a mistake"....why wasn't the "mistake" rectified when all accounts have proven that there were, indeed, no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq?!
I don't believe the govt mis-led the US public by pointing the finger of blame at Iraq for 9/11....I feel they flat out went against all policy and reason and invaded a country under totally false pretenses: WMD!
All false. Now we are stuck in another Vietnam, in a country we have no business being in, sacrificing our own young people, like lambs to the slaughter, all for the advancement and hidden gain of a select few "war ciminals", akaoliticians, in office. Disgusting!

Old 05-27-2007, 12:36 PM

And to add grim evidence to what GypsyHeart said above, here's an article on how many of our military personnel have lost their lives in one year's time--the number growing. Blood spilled and continues to spill at the cost of oil, greed and prevarication. And these are real people not some imaginary stick figure on a television screen.

U.S. deaths near grim Memorial Day mark - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 05-27-2007, 01:15 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,428,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I wonder if anyone is old enough to remember a very popular 60s book; it was called "the ugly american."
Someone is. I think of it now and then when visiting the Immigration sub-forum...

Old 05-27-2007, 01:18 PM

I was so grateful they sub'd off religion and immigration. I already have enuf here.

Glad to hear someone else has read that book--and remembers it fondly.

Here's a link to the book at amazon.com

Amazon.com: The Ugly American: Books: William J. Lederer,Eugene Burdick

Some good reviews at the site so people can get a feeling for how it was then, and how it is still then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Someone is. I think of it now and then when visiting the Immigration sub-forum...

Old 05-27-2007, 01:37 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,428,127 times
Quote:
I was so grateful they sub'd off religion and immigration. I already have enuf here.
The point is well taken. But these poor exiles now have nothing to do but agree with each other all day. Seems unfair somehow.

Quote:
Glad to hear someone else has read that book--and remembers it fondly.
Yes, and Fail-Safe, too. Also in part by Burdick. I read that shortly after it came out. Somewhat disturbing in a different way.

Old 05-27-2007, 01:41 PM

I read Fail-Safe, too. As a matter of fact, I just started a thread asking for recommendations on recent political science or political books in the Books Forum.

I have a long list of want to reads, but always like to hear what others are recommending.

And yup, some folks need to be reminded there is more than one way of thinking about immigrants, god and life.

You're good at it.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:19 PM

572 posts, read 2,086,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpoint View Post
You liberals are always looking for a conspiracy theory. You crack me up. People just can't be wrong or make a mistake...it always has to be a conspiracy.
I'm a conservative but think we've been mislead. It's not only the liberals, contrary to what you seem to believe.

Why has this administration been wrong so many times? What does it take for some of you people to realize that we're being deliberately mislead for a hidden agenda? It's not rocket science. All it takes is a little thinking and opening of the mind.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:39 PM

203 posts, read 162,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well, a group of people got together, and they decided that they would lie to everyone else about what they knew and what they were doing. Maybe that doesn't count as a conspiracy, maybe it does. But you don't have to be a liberal to be disgusted by it, whatever it's called...
You are proving my point. You are jumping to the conclusion that they got together to agree to lie. You have no prove of that. But because they are on the right, you assume that. I am a conservative and I was against the war from the beginning. I do not believe it was a conspiracy, just because I think it was wrong. I was against it, because I think it is always a bad stategy to think you can occupy a country for any length of time in a part of the world that does not value human life and think they will eventually have any kind of morals. I knew once we started down this road, it would end up this way. However, I think the PRESIDENT was doing what he thought was best. I think he was wrong. It was not a conspiracy. I wonder if the Liberals think the Clinton wars were a conspiracy or if the JFK policies were a conspiracy. Or is it that only Republicans can have conspiracies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies