Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should consensual sex between all adults be considered a human right?
Yes, consensual sex between all adults should be legal worldwide 38 66.67%
No. Heterosexual sex should be a human right, but homosexual sex should not. 3 5.26%
No. Sex between adults should not be considered a human right at all. 10 17.54%
Other (please describe) 6 10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:27 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's not about the USA dictating to other countries. It's about whether or not there are human rights that are considered universal, such as a right to work, a right to food, or a right to education.
Once again. If it is not our country, if it does not impact us, then it is really none of our business. We have enough social ills of our own to fix before we try telling others how to live.
Universal human rights? No such thing, at least not until we the people of the earth become united under 1 common Gov. That isn't today so there is no such thing. We can detest the practices of others. I know that I certainly do. However, every nation has the right to impose and enforce the laws they believe in. I just won't travel to the ones I disagree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
When are we going to make " everyone has a right to a yacht" happen? Or a house that has certain square feet for each persons house. How about a right to a plane?
Those are ridiculous comparisons. We're not talking about having a right to anything that costs money. The question is about whether or not humans have a right to have consensual sex with other adults. Another way to ask the question: Does the government have a right to tell you who you can have sex with (or if you can have sex at all)?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:42 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Why should having sex be a right?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:42 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There's lots of talk about the laws in this country and the laws around the world as they pertain to human sexuality.

1. Do you believe that the right to have sex with other consenting adults should be considered a universal right, or should sexual rights be determined by each country individually?

2. Do you support any legal restrictions on consensual sex between adults within your own state or country? If so, which types of restrictions would you support?
Heard an expression years ago... Fornication Under Consent of the King.

Words have mysterious origins sometimes. Your guess would be as good as mine, but I shudder to think about legislation getting involved. Wouldn't be prudent.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Ray you'd better agree it's a right or they'll tax it as a luxury. roflmao

Old 01-29-2010, 07:45 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Why should any government have any say over the sex life, choices, habits, preferences, or practices of consenting adults?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Ray you'd better agree it's a right or they'll tax it as a luxury. roflmao
Quite funny. But the question should have been, "should having sex with consenting adults be legal?" In this case I would have answered: well, it's not illegal to have sex with consenting adults.

But a "right" to have sex with a consenting adult makes no sense, except that I don't like to pay any more taxes

Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Why should any government have any say over the sex life, choices, habits, preferences, or practices of consenting adults?
Which government does such things? Is the US government telling you not to have sex with consenting adults?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:38 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
The government needs to stay out of the bedroom.

Also, while we are at it, legalize and license prostitution and drop the stupid age of consent laws. I'm tired of police money being spent going after someone providing a service, or an 18-year-old guy having to register as a sex offender because he had consensual sex with his 15 or 16 year old girlfriend. It's insane, and a waste of time and money.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:51 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The government needs to stay out of the bedroom.

Also, while we are at it, legalize and license prostitution and drop the stupid age of consent laws. I'm tired of police money being spent going after someone providing a service, or an 18-year-old guy having to register as a sex offender because he had consensual sex with his 15 or 16 year old girlfriend. It's insane, and a waste of time and money.
You may be able to argue that the age of consent is too high in some states, or that some of the laws should be altered, but dropping the age of consent completely would be a BAD idea. There are already too many children abused and taken advantage of by adults, and not having an age of consent would only increase the frequency of such abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies