Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:40 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Particularly when such efforts are counterproductive and racist....

Cultivating Failure - The Atlantic (January/February 2010)

Yes, I often imagine all the good I could do if I could just steal from a wealthy person. It would certainly be easier than solving my own problems and the good that would come from it would certainly make the felony I committed of no account.

NOT!

Mexicans need to fix Mexico, not illegally enter the US. Lots of foreigners patiently wait their turn in nations far worse than Mexico. Why should they have their place in line taken from them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 02:51 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Reagan used to be a democrat, Michael Medved, Charlton Heston, John Stossel used to be liberals too. So I'm not sure where your scientists need to start looking.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:54 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Okay, so, you'd think if Liberals were into seeming morally superior (which, I must say, is really not that hard given the opposition) then they'd fit right in with Christians, right?

That's the one sticking point where your little sci-fi parallel universe lacks consistency I think.

Work on that part, or talk to whoever wrote the piece you cut and pasted it from, and then get back to me, okay?
All the best!

Christians do not feel superior. Read the book of Matthew 6. Religion is a private matter.

I am not superior to a liberal because I am a Christian. Catholics really don't ram thier faith down anyone's throat. I am superior to a liberal, as I am more intelligent, work harder, and stick to my convictions. I do not engage in mindless self destructive behavior which exemplifies liberalism and seek what is best for me and my family, not the spotted owl.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:02 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Cure for Republican insomnia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Zsd858KQs
I must admit, that is a funny clip. But I can't agree with your assertion.

In fact, here's a better demonstration, just for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwxOD...eature=related

Old 01-30-2010, 03:04 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
These are unfortunate statements. What's the point of insulting and demonizing the other side?
You should ask the same of that ergo fella, don't you think?

Old 01-30-2010, 03:41 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Reagan used to be a democrat, Michael Medved, Charlton Heston, John Stossel used to be liberals too. So I'm not sure where your scientists need to start looking.

Some believe that it is caused by an hormone imbalance in the womb, and also, a hormone imbalance at midlife.

I wonder if some gays turn straight at midlife.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:38 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Some believe that it is caused by an hormone imbalance in the womb, and also, a hormone imbalance at midlife.

I wonder if some gays turn straight at midlife.
Or vice versa.

Ah -- there's the rub.

Bunch a freakin thespians...

Old 01-31-2010, 02:57 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The same way that a monkey contemplates Shakespeare. A liberal can see data and information, but cannot process it in a rational fashion and formulate a logical plan. It is the same as one with dementia being unable to process simple information, as the temporal association cortices are full of plaques and tangles.
I've actually thought about this quite a bit and I think that it comes down to which side of the brain that an individual favors. It is well known in the medical and scientific communities that the brain is divided into two hemispheres each with different functions. The left brain is the center of logic and reason whereas the right brain is more intuitive and creative. It is also well known that most people favor one hemisphere over the other.

Thus, left brain dominant people make great engineers and architects while the right brain dominant tend to be artists, musicians or actors.

Doesn't this seem to mirror the political structure and arena quite well? Left brained people like doctors and businessmen tend to be conservative while right brained artsy or Hollywood types tend to be liberal.

As for asserting that the conservative or left brained view is superior I think that you're indulging yourself a bit there hawkeye2009. I have met smart republicans and some very dull ones as well. Each side of the brain is able to see, understand, and process aspects of reality that the other cannot. Therefore, it would seem logical that the most intelligent people would draw fairly equally from both sides of the brain which would probably lead to a more moderate political view being able to see the merits and pitfalls of each side of the political spectrum.

So, maybe moderates are more intelligent than right wingers, but there I go indulging myself.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:05 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Liberalism fulfills a deep-seated emotional need to be seen as being morally superior to others (this is why liberals hate Christians). Every characteristic of the liberal is a symptom of the liberal disease. Examples include various forms of vegetarianism, environmentalism, pacifism, relativism, unitarianism, etc. This irrational emotional hunger functions as an addiction superseding and transposing all rational thought.

The mistake conservatives make is to believe they can reason with liberals. This is not possible since no agreement or compromise can be reached in which the liberal still maintains his or her sense of moral superiority while giving ground to those who fail to recognize the moral superiority of the liberal. And since all status is relative, the need for moral superiority becomes a vicious neurotic cycle that never results in a content liberal.
so people can't be liberal and christain?
you don't make sense...
I really hate this "us vs them" mentality.. like somehow people are pigeon-holed into either being exactly like you or something's wrong with them or they're not seeing things clearly...

get over yourself...

Old 01-31-2010, 03:23 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
I was born a liberal and life taught me to be conservative. About the time I turned 18 i started understanding that liberal was philosophy of thought drenched in Utopian ideals but void of reality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies