Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 05:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times

Advertisements

First of all I know what "making light" of the situation means.

Second, if you go back and read what I wrote, I am not vacationing this weekend due to the fact that a lot of Americans are ignoring the high prices and NOT LOWERING THE DEMAND.

Retail does have something to do with gas prices. Walmart is reporting losses due to the higher gas prices. Consumers are shifting their dollars to gas and spending less at their stores. Good. That's why I be-bopped down to my LOCAL garden center and bought goods from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 05:43 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,771 times
Hiknapster,

My first post above was NOT to you. I made general comments about various posts on this thread. I haven't been here on these boards for very long, but I HAVE been on them long enough to have read many of your posts, ALL of which I've enjoyed.

So, if you're offended, I'm sorry for my lack of clarity as it caused you to believe my comments were directed at you.

If this forum is going to allow discussion/debate about issues such as these, hey, I'm all for it. But I think you'll agree that, at least since I've been posting here, discussions that take this direction are usually moved.

This forum has been relaxing and fun for me while the Politics and Other Controversies is diametric to relaxing--though I'm perverse enough to think it's fun anyway--so I'd just as soon be able to continue to relax and have fun in this forum (Tennessee).

Old 05-26-2007, 05:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Oh, okay.

In the words of Roseanna-Danna: "Never mind."

Old 05-26-2007, 06:53 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,120 times
I agree with Happyappy that this should be a fun forum and that all posts expressing conservative views should be moved.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Whoa!

Ridgerunner,

Move conservative views?

I just want NOT to have to address political or controversial views in this particular forum. I'm a political forum addict and have a difficult time staying on the wagon. In the past, my wife has made it, how shall I say, crystal clear!—that I get whacko over this political-governmental-social stuff and that it's not a good thing for . . . a well-balanced marital relationship. How’s that!

So, I’ve fallen off the wagon in the P&OC forum and have to cut back. Maybe it’s better that I refrain from this Tennessee forum as I cannot seem to “keep my mouth shut” when I see certain issues being discussed.

Last edited by happyappy; 05-26-2007 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: correct spelling

Old 05-26-2007, 07:56 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,120 times
Happyappy, please don't leave. We appreciate your humorous posts and all the good things you've said about the Plateau region. And besides, you sound like an intellectual giant.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 PM

Ridgerunner,

I’ve been involved in many forums in the last few years from the far-lefters to far-righters and everywhere in between. I’ve been involved with modern-day social Neanderthals in forums to highly structured and sedate conversationalists. The most intellectually stimulating have been Libertarian forums and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed them.

When we discovered the City-Data forums after we started seriously considering Tennessee for relocation and I started reviewing threads, I was thrilled to find so many people in the Tennessee thread who seemed so far above the average in reasoned and critical thinking, and then were also able to articulate so well. The forum atmosphere in the Tennessee thread was friendly and funny and relaxing and intellectually stimulating; I was anxious to jump in. I thought, well maybe this is one more sign that Tennessee is the place for us.

So, thanks for the kind words but I feel as though I’m just another member of an intellectual group and glad to be part of it.

I’m not going away, but I’ll have to be a big boy and behave myself. Maybe if I cut back on the P&OC activity, my sensitivity will diminish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies