Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel Toyota's recall issue has been exploited by the media?
Yes I do, they still make excellent cars and this issue will be resolved by Toyota in due time 60 63.83%
No I do not. I think they deserve it. They have fallen and are doomed to fail. 27 28.72%
Not sure 7 7.45%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:08 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,808,508 times

Advertisements

Reminds me of the Audi 500 sudden acceleration problem years ago. Not sure if Audi ever admitted to it. I drive a 2004 Avalon XLS, which still looks new, in and out, and has never had ANY problem. I intend to keep it for at least 5 more years because I can't think of another car in the price range that I would rather own. It has great acceleration and gets 24 mph, combined. They should have just stuck with what worked, instead of trying to 'improve' it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 01:10 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,824,630 times
No I do not. they deserve it. They have fallen and will get back up. however the break issue was ignored by them a while ago like it was nothing and people died as a result of it.

i remember a 911 call shown on tv about it

Old 02-07-2010, 01:18 PM

52,671 posts, read 47,918,263 times
Considering that all of this has surfaced in a relatively short time, I'm convinced Toyota will bounce back and have faith they will. They've had an unfortunate string of recalls. Had the situations taken place over a period of a few years, and more frequently, then I would be concerned.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:42 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,233,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Conspiracy? I didn't make any mention of such a thing.

Well, my Toyota isn't on the recall list. And it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. By far. So yes, Ill keep on driving it and eventually I'll trade it in for another Toyota, more than likely.

I've gotten very accustomed to driving a car that doesn't have a series of defects that never get repaired even after multiple trips to the shop for the same nagging problem. Then, I finally give up on that first one and then another problem surfaces, with the same sequence of leaving it in the shop and picking it up to find out that it hasn't been solved, either. Now, it has two "unrepairable" defects, soon to be followed by a third. My loyalty to American made vehicles is long gone.

It's my understanding that the current recall that's ruffled so many feathers is a very quick and easy fix that takes less than an hour at the dealership. Still, I'm glad I'm not involved.
You make it sound like a conspiracy. (Toyota drivers are doomed.)
or, are you trying to point to media sensationalism, of which I don't see either.

I think more people were shocked when the media reported exploding gas tanks on pintos.

btw, I think your toyota is a piece of junk.
I love my JEEP. It takes me places where you can't go.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:14 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,580,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
btw, I think your toyota is a piece of junk.
You're welcome to your opinion.

Quote:
I love my JEEP. It takes me places where you can't go.
Jeeps are cool.

My Toyota's a 4WD Tacoma that's seen some rugged off-road miles in its time. It gets in and out of tough situations with no troubles. Your short wheelbase might give you some advantage in a few tight spots, though.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:11 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,233,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
You're welcome to your opinion.

Jeeps are cool.

My Toyota's a 4WD Tacoma that's seen some rugged off-road miles in its time. It gets in and out of tough situations with no troubles. Your short wheelbase might give you some advantage in a few tight spots, though.
Not only that, but the width of it, 6 feet from outside of tires, makes it a true "trail" vehicle. It'll go places the big bad 4 wheelers like GMC, Hummers, and so forth cannot go. Most Forest trails here are only about 7 feet wide or less.

I believe Toyota stopped making quality vehicles quite a few years ago though.

I had a friend who had converted a land cruiser, had a 327 chevy engine in it and American trans and transfer case and axles, it would eat trails for lunch.

Too bad Toyota is having problems, must be those American design engineers who fouled things up.....just sayin'. Alot of Americans are employed by the motor company, and that hurts.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:43 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,580,561 times
Quote:
Not only that, but the width of it, 6 feet from outside of tires, makes it a true "trail" vehicle. It'll go places the big bad 4 wheelers like GMC, Hummers, and so forth cannot go. Most Forest trails here are only about 7 feet wide or less.

And fortunately for you, there are other choices. Have you ever owned a Toyota?

Mine is the best vehicle I've ever owned. By far. YMMV.

Quote:
I had a friend who had converted a land cruiser, had a 327 chevy engine in it and American trans and transfer case and axles, it would eat trails for lunch.
The old FJ40 was a beast.

Quote:
Too bad Toyota is having problems, must be those American design engineers who fouled things up.....just sayin'. Alot of Americans are employed by the motor company, and that hurts.

It's just a speedbump on the highway of commerce.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 AM

45,309 posts, read 60,463,888 times
I feel that I'm less than a man now since I only have an F 150.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 AM

643 posts, read 1,393,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown0814 View Post
What upsets me about this whole situation is that the problem with toyota ls 90% related to their coming to the states to build cars. The tundra had a huge recall on a failure of the crankshafts. These crankshafts were built in the states. All Domestic car companies took advantage of the situation and bashed toyota! TOYOTA is not the problem.. I am sad to say it, but the problem is with the united states. I mean, c'mon we have a new recall with toyota on a part that, you guessed it, is made here in the states. This gas pedal problem is in a part that is made by CTS in Indiana to be specific. Before Toyota came to the states to manufacture, there were almost no problems.. period! The Japaneese just make better cars for less when their cars are imported. We(the states) have janitors making the same as engineers, unions, and demand for more stuff without paying more and the result (historicaly) was an inferior automobile. In order for USA to keep up with the prices of japanese vehicles, they have to make an inferior product that is plush inside, but is a lemon at best in reliability. We are getting better, but still behind in reliability because of the above reasons.

I just think its sad when toyota gets blamed when the US manufactures of the components are making inferior parts.. as usual. We (the states) demanded that toyota, honda, etc. come here and create jobs for our people or we will stop importing (understandable). Well, they said ok, and now the domestic car companies take advantage of a situation that roots in the states, not japan.

Yes, I currently own 4 toyotas and have sold 3 others, but, my grandfather retired from chrysler and I have had several domestic vehicles. The only way for domestics to compete with the reliability of a TRUE import, is to force them to come over here and produce products with the same crap we put in our vehicles. I know for a fact that there is no way you can even remotely compare any domestic car car company as a whole to the reliability of an import on its worst day. I hope this changes, but gm, ford, and chrysler will have to continue cheating their way to make themselves look better. You ask anyone that has owned a true import toyota, and I know the overall rate of happy owners would be overwhelming.

My last domestic vehicle was a chevy s-10 4cyl (replaced by a t-100), and the s-10 had 112k on it when I sold it. I had 5..yes 5 automaitic transmission rebuilds, 1- engine rebuild, and countless small issues. For the record, I have 2 landcruisers, a t-100 and a camry that are oll pre-united states vehicles.. all made in japan. I change the oil and put gas in them. Bullet proof automobiles and 3 have well over 100k.
My 1999 ford Ranger 4 cyl automatic has 130K miles with the only major repairs being shocks and balljoints at 120K. Tranny and engine are very strong. Most of GM was junk in the 90's. however I do own a 200,000 mile silverado but it's a 2003 model. Reliability has more to do with maintnence and not buying a "bargain brand" car.

BTW. T-100 was one damn good looking truck

Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 AM

643 posts, read 1,393,109 times
Quote:

To early to say but I believe 2003 may have been toyotas last high quality year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies