Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Colleges and universities continue to raise their tuition because the government continues to raise the numbers and amounts of grants and loans. It's a never ending cycle and it needs to stop.
What they need to do in government is tell universities that if they don't start dropping their tuition rates then government loans will not go to students who attend their school.

Government has no trouble mandating higher fuel efficiency standards for auto manufactures, energy efficiency for appliances, or more efficient electrical power plants, but they let colleges keep charging more for tuition, and increase the tuition funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 12:06 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Here is an interesting report analyzing college tuition increases over time, with this specific quote from pg 11:

Although average published tuition and fees increased by about 15% in inflation-adjusted dollars at private not-for-profit four-year colleges and universities from 2004-05 to 2009-10, and by about 20% at public four-year institutions, the estimated average 2009-10 net price for full-time students, after considering grant aid and federal tax benefits, is about $1,100 lower (in 2009 dollars) in the private sector and about $400 lower in the public sector than it was five years ago.

http://www.trends-collegeboard.com/c...ge_Pricing.pdf

Old 01-31-2010, 12:09 PM

768 posts, read 942,752 times
So it's only on federal student loans, not private?

wow, way to help only the people who's parents didn't work for a living thus got riddled with federal loans. Not men like my brother who has six figures in private loans for med school.

Useless.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:14 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Here is an interesting report analyzing college tuition increases over time, with this specific quote from pg 11:

Although average published tuition and fees increased by about 15% in inflation-adjusted dollars at private not-for-profit four-year colleges and universities from 2004-05 to 2009-10, and by about 20% at public four-year institutions, the estimated average 2009-10 net price for full-time students, after considering grant aid and federal tax benefits, is about $1,100 lower (in 2009 dollars) in the private sector and about $400 lower in the public sector than it was five years ago.

Thanks for posting that! That's exactly the point I was trying to make.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
What they need to do in government is tell universities that if they don't start dropping their tuition rates then government loans will not go to students who attend their school.

Government has no trouble mandating higher fuel efficiency standards for auto manufactures, energy efficiency for appliances, or more efficient electrical power plants, but they let colleges keep charging more for tuition, and increase the tuition funding.
Very true! Makes you wonder why they don't do that.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:17 PM

768 posts, read 942,752 times
Conservatives should run with this. In a lot of way it encapsulates big government feel-good intervention.

Nobody in Real America is struggling with federal student debt, as the repayment rules are incredibly lax already. It's all private loans. That's the crux of the problem, yet nothing is done to even try to solve it; this is window glossing over a real problem.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:23 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Public office jobs don't make any profits for the community and only cost money. In Europe the most jokes are about employees in public office since most of the employees (Europe) start the day with coffee and talking and doing nothing( discussing the games they watched over the weekend, etc.). After a couple of hours of doing nothing they go to lunch and can't wait till it is 5 pm to go home and hardly anything is done...sorry I'm not saying it all is true but many have experienced the long lines of waiting in city halls, the bureaucracy and weeks of waiting due to the slow process.[/b]
Pretty much my day (I work in the private sector), head in a little after 9, bull****, get some stuff done, leave when I feel like it.

It's great, I wouldn't want to be constrained by working in the public sector.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

Not here in Texas..tuition went up this year and they've announced it's going up again next year. I've been taking classes (one per semester) and I can tell you my tuition is NOT lower now than 5 years ago.
Plus there are additional mandatory "fees" now that weren't there in 2005.

Austin Community College (Texas residents)
cost per credit in 2005: $100/credit
cost per credit in 2010: $137/credit

Old 01-31-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not here in Texas..tuition went up this year and they've announced it's going up again next year. I've been taking classes (one per semester) and I can tell you my tuition is NOT lower now than 5 years ago.
Plus there are additional mandatory "fees" now that weren't there in 2005.

Austin Community College (Texas residents)
cost per credit in 2005: $100/credit
cost per credit in 2010: $137/credit
Yes, the prices are going up but so are the government subsidies to the students. It's a vicious cycle that nobody seems to want to put an end to.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:37 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
most people I know struggling with student debt are contributint NOTHING to society because they got a worthless degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies