Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:30 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,499,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I heard Obama give many new ideas and plans to stabilize our economy and increase jobs, during his state of the Union address.

Didn't you hear his plans? I am sure you can watch the State of the Union Address on YouTube.

I didn't hear him blame Bush. I did, however, hear Obama describe the challenge he had faced when he took office. If anyone interprets that as blame, they are overly sensitive!
it was a "State of the Union" address. That implies the current state.

Mentioning what happened over a year ago is nothing more than blame.

and all his plans have been tried over and over for thousands of years in all sorts of different countries. They have never once worked. thay aint gonna work this time either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 08:33 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,512,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
it was a "State of the Union" address. That implies the current state.

Mentioning what happened over a year ago is nothing more than blame.

and all his plans have been tried over and over for thousands of years in all sorts of different countries. They have never once worked. thay aint gonna work this time either.
Oh really? Cash for clunkers was tried thousands of years ago? Which country was that?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:34 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,271,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I voted for Obama and even I am tired of hearing about Bush. At what point do you stop blaming Bush and start taking responsibility? We are not far from mid-terms. I think it's time that Bush be put to rest so to speak.
I voted for Obama and I'm tired of hearing you whine about Obama.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,311,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Oh really? Cash for clunkers was tried thousands of years ago? Which country was that?
The underlying premise. And oh, how did that cash for clunkers work out? Was it a success?

not

so

much

Old 01-30-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The underlying premise. And oh, how did that cash for clunkers work out? Was it a success?

not

so

much
And what underlying premise might that be?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:41 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,755,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I voted for Obama and even I am tired of hearing about Bush. At what point do you stop blaming Bush and start taking responsibility? We are not far from mid-terms. I think it's time that Bush be put to rest so to speak.
I disagree but only partially. We're in this mess because republicans sold an economic plan/ policies that were deeply flawed. Until it's seen clearly where things went horribly wrong, we're doomed to repeat the mistakes of our recent past. Republicans need to look deeply at the plan of deregulation and privitization. Going too far and leaving loopholes, having agendas competing with the other half of the country instead of working WITH the other half of the country is their error.

I would have far more respect for republican leadership spelling out their culpability for mistakes, that is, truly owning that responsibility, then move forward with a plan for remedy. They lose credibility entrenched in denial. Choke down your pride, stand up like a man, and OWN it.

I think the same is true of dems coming clean about how they failed to see the writing on the wall with piecemeal legislation that appeared innocuous to them. They failed to recognize the ramifications of their actions. They also pushed for globalization blindly without much thought about uncharted waters.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:47 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,311,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
And what underlying premise might that be?
The underlying premise that one can spend its way into prosperity. I thought that was inherent. Guess not.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:48 PM

3,554 posts, read 3,041,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
you assumed wrong. that wasn't the quote. he was giving specific dollar amounts about budget deficits.

And there were a lot of economists that totally disagree with the notion that government action saved us from a depression.

Lew Rockwell is a famous economist that has argued all govt action has done is delayed the inevitable collapse. That we should have gone ahead and let it collapse. No govt action and we would have been out of it in a year or so. He says all Obama and bush did was push it off on to the next guy and as a result it will be worse. Think he's crazy? he also predicted the economy was going to collapse a few months before it did. Yet, listening to people in D.C. one would think nobody saw it coming.

There were plenty of others that were saying the same thing. Tom Woods comes to mind. Walter Block is another. This would be why i take issue with obamas staement. he's listening to the people that were wrong the last time. he should be listening to the people that were correct the last time. that would mean giving up some power though. no politician ever like to do that.
Obama is not a Libertarian, and although Rockwell believes that Roosevelt's actions prolonged the Depression, Rockwell is in the minority among economists in saying that government action did not help this country.

Even Paul Krugman, hardly a Libertarian, predicted a market crash and recognized a housing bubble before it was acknowledged by the powers that be. He is a strong believer in government intervention.

So which "experts" advice do you choose?

Regarding the quote, I assume you meant this:

"At the beginning of the last decade, the year 2000, America had a budget surplus of over $200 billion. By the time I took office, we had a one-year deficit of over $1 trillion and projected deficits of $8 trillion over the next decade. Most of this was the result of not paying for two wars, two tax cuts, and an expensive prescription drug program. On top of that, the effects of the recession put a $3 trillion hole in our budget. All this was before I walked in the door.
Now -- just stating the facts. Now, if we had taken office in ordinary times, I would have liked nothing more than to start bringing down the deficit. But we took office amid a crisis. And our efforts to prevent a second depression have added another $1 trillion to our national debt. That, too, is a fact."

That was at least 20 to 30 minutes into the SOTU not 30 seconds. I assume I either misread the original reference, or it should have said 30 minutes not seconds.

This was a response to calls to reduce the deficit, and the "blame" that Obama gets for it's origin (as evidenced by many posters on this very thread). Why should he have take the blame in addition to the responsibility to clean it up?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The underlying premise that one can spend its way into prosperity. I thought that was inherent. Guess not.
Is this your premise or his premise?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,302,228 times
How about we stop blaming anyone and realize we have been on this path for 30 years, both major parties and ourselves are at fault. We need to work hard and try to rebuild an economy based on growth and actual value instead of borrowing our way to temporary prosperity. Blaming seems to be a waste of time.In a free society, politicians aren't really responsable for the economy, no matter how much they claim to be in good times. So neither obama or bush should be singled out.Bush initiated the bailout plan for the economy if it works out he should get some of the credit. If it goes sour, remember obama would have done the same thing. The causes of the recent recession may be debatable but the fact that obama and bush acted fairly promptly and effectively to respond.From some of the things i have read the chinese are partly responsible by overloading the globel financial system. The failure of the chinese to construct a workable social security system has forced the chinese to save to a ridiculous extent. These savings were put into U S Treasury bills, the only debt market big enough to accommodate these hundreds of billions of dollars. This massive influx of capital created artificial price floors which collapsed, taking bear stearns and others with them.China has become our main competitor for natural resources,and china is unscupulous and merciless.A confrontation at some"distant outpost" is only a matter of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies