Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 AM

536 posts, read 413,656 times

Advertisements

Sure we do. I never heard anything about vikings or leif erikson or the crusades when I was going to school. I found all that and tons of other stuff about white history on my own. I always get the same response that we don't need a history month just for whites because it's all about whites anyways. It's not not in my opinion anyways. I don't play with barbies anyways I am a guy lol....Women were not allowed to vote until what like the early 1900's they don't have a special month for their history. That seems a bit racist to me. Blacks are the only ones with a special history month when there are tons of other races,plus women and disabled people who could have theirs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:34 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlover View Post
Ummmm. You don't need a White History month. Your history was never erased or eliminated from the history books, actually it was all we read as children.

You didn't have to play with a blonde Barbie doll or be denied the right to vote or be hired for a job because of your skin color.

Nope. You don't need a special month. Trust me.
I think that February should be renamed Minority History Month instead. What about the Asians, Hispanics and Native Americans? But go ahead, enjoy your Black History Month, and don't forget to read up about blacks enslaving black people and selling them to others. Or keep up to date on all the genocide going on in Africa today. Or the practice of female circumcision and child brides over in Africa also. The black legacy isn't all flowers and rainbows.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,233 times
Quote:
Ummmm. You don't need a White History month. Your history was never erased or eliminated from the history books, actually it was all we read as children.

You didn't have to play with a blonde Barbie doll or be denied the right to vote or be hired for a job because of your skin color.

Nope. You don't need a special month. Trust me.
White history is being changed in the history books so that white people are made to look like a pariah on society. Ive definately been denied employment due to my skin color many times. But still even on forums such as this one people like you are still trying to rewrite white history with one sided stories about the plight of the black person, while casually denying those of other races like they never did and still don,t exist. Trust me.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
February is officially black history month! I realize that not everybody is down with that. But let's just that the time to learn a little about some Americans that you probably never heard of.....

This is not meant to be a thread to bash any group. It is only to give props to those that have gone on before us who did not get a lot of pub in history books..... Pick your favorite area of contribution....arts, science, politics, you name it.

Carter G. Woodson
Credit for the evolving awareness of the true place of blacks in
history can, in large part, be bestowed on one
man, Carter G. Woodson. And, his brainchild
the Association for the Study of African American Life and History, Inc. is continuing Woodson’s tradition of disseminating information about black
life, history and culture to the global community.

Known as the “Father of Black History,” Woodson (1875-1950) was the son of former
slaves, and understood how important gaining a proper education is when striving to secure and
make the most out of one’s divine right of freedom. Although he did not begin his formal
education until he was 20 years old, his dedication to study enabled him to earn a high
school diploma in West Virginia and bachelor and master’s degrees from the University
Carter G. Woodson, Father of Black History
Is it that time of the year already. Now I have to hear about this for the next 27 days.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:07 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,855,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that February should be renamed Minority History Month instead. What about the Asians, Hispanics and Native Americans? But go ahead, enjoy your Black History Month, and don't forget to read up about blacks enslaving black people and selling them to others. Or keep up to date on all the genocide going on in Africa today. Or the practice of female circumcision and child brides over in Africa also. The black legacy isn't all flowers and rainbows.
That is good idea. Minority history month. I like that. There is much history of Jews, much Hispanic history, a great deal of American Indian history, Asian history, gay history.....seems if one minority can have a special history month, then all minorities should be included, or else, it is a bit racist.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:13 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Quote:
Amen! There are plenty of us minorities who have endured hard times and centuries of racism that you will find scarse history on, much less an entire month devoted to. I'm not banging on Black History Month, but I do take exception to the worn-out cliches of why we should all embrace it. I attended California schools in the 70's and 80's up into college in the 90's and learned a helluva lot more about Black history than I did the history of Asians, South Pacific Islanders, and Fiji, Middle Eastern, and indigenous American Indians. I think Miu's idea of Minority History Month has a huge amount of merit.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:04 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,013 times
Four of my heroes.

50 Years Later, North Carolina Sit-In Site Becomes Museum : NPR

Old 02-01-2010, 09:16 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,013 times
Quote:
More gratuitous and unsolicited anti-black hatred from miu. Who'd have thought? It takes a truly vile and malicious mindset to want to crash the only positive thread in all of CD-land vis-a-vis black Americans with more condescension, misinformation, irrelevance and outright disrespect. Truly repulsive. And perhaps if you weren't so hell-bent on castigating blacks at every turn you'd have known of all the other months dedicated to the respective minority groups. But worry not, I trust that no one will stoop to your level when May comes around.

Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month

National Hispanic Heritage Month

Native American Heritage Month

Old 02-01-2010, 09:22 AM

536 posts, read 413,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Is it that time of the year already. Now I have to hear about this for the next 27 days.

Lol. Just turn the tv off and the radio as well. It is after all the shortest month of the year so...won't be horrible. I am glad I am not in school anymore. I always failed classes in February because I refused to go to school during this stupid month. They called it education I called it indoctrination

Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
More gratuitous and unsolicited anti-black hatred from miu. Who'd have thought? It takes a truly vile and malicious mindset to want to crash the only positive thread in all of CD-land vis-a-vis black Americans with more condescension, misinformation, irrelevance and outright disrespect. Truly repulsive. And perhaps if you weren't so hell-bent on castigating blacks at every turn you'd have known of all the other months dedicated to the respective minority groups. But worry not, I trust that no one will stoop to your level when May comes around.

Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month

National Hispanic Heritage Month

Native American Heritage Month
MrSykes, I am not the only one in this thread that objects to Black History Month, so why pick on me?

In addition, I was referring to Moonlover's post just yesterday where she thought that only white people enslaved others. Every culture and race has both good and bad history and traditions. Even the Chinese with their foot binding of their women and drowning of their unwanted female babies. I just wanted to put some proper perspective on black history. Black history is not all wonderful, and there is no reason to try to make it so.

BTW I learned about various world cultures on my own, through reading and watching PBS tv, my school, my parents and friends. I never needed a special history month to encourage me to seek knowledge.

From the definition of a negro thread yesterday:
Quote:
Except... I don't recall any of the other races contributing to slavery and the oppression of others.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies