Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:08 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Tonight on the news they interviewed a lot of the parents whose children were on that bus. Every single one of them said they had signed permission for the missionairies to take their children because they wanted to get their children out of Haiti and have a chance at a better life. So much for the children being "stolen."
so I can pop down to Mexico, have some Mexicans turn their kids over to me, than smuggle them into the US? no need to even bother consulting w/ the gov't? if the reverse had happened (people from another country trying to smuggle American children into another country), I have on doubt people would be PO. can you imagine the uproar if people from, say, the Netherlands, flew into NO after Katrina, found some kids that seemingly didn't have parents, put them on a bus, and drove off to Mexico to adopt them out?

the kids may not have been stolen, but there was an attempt to smuggle them into another country w/o proper documents. not much different than Mexicans paying a coyote to smuggle them into the US. no matter if the intentions were good, what they did was still illegal. so much of this wouldn't even be an issue if these people, had they truly wanted to help, had remained in the country. it doesn't sound like they knew what the hell they were doing and are suffering the consequences for breaking the law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Sorry, I thought you read the linked articles; they were not just opinions.
Do tell what facts have changed.

Here's a BBC article on the group: BBC News - Profile: New Life Children's Refuge
But after the disaster, the mission's aim became to "rescue Haitian orphans abandoned on the streets, makeshift hospitals or from collapsed orphanages in Port-au-Prince and surrounding areas, and bring them to New Life Children's Refuge in Cabarete, Dominican Republic", the charity stated in an online document.
The article you yourself provide is nothing more than a profile of the group. I see no facts related to the incident. Unless you can come up with something a bit more concrete than your own sentiment, you have no argument at all.

I'm not sure how you can accuse me of claiming any facts have been altered since so far the only facts presented in this entire thread seem to be that some religious types from Idaho have been detained. The trafficking claim seems to have come from someone's imagination.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:56 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
What? And I thought Americans could do whatever they wanted to in the world.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Tonight on the news they interviewed a lot of the parents whose children were on that bus. Every single one of them said they had signed permission for the missionairies to take their children because they wanted to get their children out of Haiti and have a chance at a better life. So much for the children being "stolen."
The breaking of international laws doesn't bother you at all, does it?
Got any links to this information? Not that it matters, laws have been broken.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
The article you yourself provide is nothing more than a profile of the group. I see no facts related to the incident. Unless you can come up with something a bit more concrete than your own sentiment, you have no argument at all.

I'm not sure how you can accuse me of claiming any facts have been altered since so far the only facts presented in this entire thread seem to be that some religious types from Idaho have been detained. The trafficking claim seems to have come from someone's imagination.

There were 4 links, bother reading anything except for the one sentence blurb I pulled from the article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
What? And I thought Americans could do whatever they wanted to in the world.
They can, especially if they're xian.

It surprises me that people can't put themselves in the position of the other person, be it these families, the children (don't forge the american child fetishists), an Iraqi mother, etc.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post

Actually, it's the Prime Minister of Haiti.

Dei gratia

Old 02-01-2010, 10:42 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I do find it odd that the Baptist missionaries did not coordinate the rescue of these 33 children with any already established church group in Haiti, or any established Catholic mission, before they planned a rescue of any sort. After all, aren't 80 percent of all Haitians Catholic?

“One of the elder girls told us, ‘I’m not an orphan. I still have my parents,’” he added. “She thought she was going on a summer holiday vacation given by friendly people from America and the Dominican Republic.”

The missionaries stated they were going to start an orphanage in the Dominican Republic in a 45-room hotel at Cabarete, a beach resort in the Dominican Republic.
Funny how they fled to a country who has been known for selling Haitian children into slavery and prostitution for years now. The article below states children are sold for around $120.

If there were no solid plans for an orphanage anywhere on paper, no funds to begin building one, etc- I hope they get the book thrown at them. I am furious that the others who do this and get away with it are free.

If convicting these people will help send a message that children who have suffered recent tragedy are not animals to be trapped then sold, that will be a great thing.

Article on Haiti/DR child exploitation:

Luciole Press Blog: 225,000 Haiti children work as slaves, sold for as little as $128 to work as laborers or prostitutes

Old 02-01-2010, 11:10 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Most are sent by parents who cannot afford to care for them to families just slightly better off. Researchers found 11 percent of families that have a restavek have sent their own children into domestic servitude elsewhere.
Please note the emphasis on WHO is doing the selling. Decades ago boys were sold at lump sum fee by their families to work sugar cane fields in wealthier dominican republic plantations. They suffered horrible abuses and were lucky to make it past puberty. They were trying to undercut the pay of native dominicans, so the children were abused by the natives, killed by accidental injuries that became infections, or killed by the machetes of adults out of anger/ frustration. This is what those fields look like, and this depiction is tame relative to what I saw long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhmgPmHubxU

Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Here are other methods they went about it as years passed by
Country Report: Dominican Republic (http://www.iabolish.org/slavery_today/country_reports/do.html - broken link)

Old 02-02-2010, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Please note the emphasis on WHO is doing the selling. Decades ago boys were sold at lump sum fee by their families to work sugar cane fields in wealthier dominican republic plantations. They suffered horrible abuses and were lucky to make it past puberty. They were trying to undercut the pay of native dominicans, so the children were abused by the natives, killed by accidental injuries that became infections, or killed by the machetes of adults out of anger/ frustration. This is what those fields look like, and this depiction is tame relative to what I saw long ago.
And this has what to do with current kidnapping?
Nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies