Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,271 times

Advertisements

^So were Green Day opening themselves up to criticism with those lyrics I mentioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:51 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Nearly the entire album was an all out attack on the Bush/Cheney administration. It wasn't a secret or anything....
I didnt see anything in the lyrics posted that would suggest an attack on the GOP.

I like some Green Day songs. Never paid attn to the lyrics though.

It amazes me that people read stuff into rock lyrics.

I mean seriously, does "Brass Monkey" have any social value?

I listen to tunes if I like the sound. Never really cared much about messages in the lyrics.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:01 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Nothing beats Method of Destruction's song Anally Inflicted Death Sentence (AIDS). Nothing in the mainstream can approach it with regards to shock value, in title or lyrics.

I just looked up the lyrics. This should be a chart topper. It's definately a message that should be main-streamed!

I don't know why the OP thinks conservatives would care one way or the other what Green Day has to say. They a catering to the left winger radicals anyway.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Green Day is a punk rock that is mostly popular with punk kids who are rebellious. It is not all that mainstream, and I would contend that a large amount of those listening to it don't care much about politics.

So if the Dookie crew wants to rant about politics, I say go for it. If their fans are fine with it, that is fine. If their fans get mad about it, that is their price to pay. It is the price some have paid in the past and some have not, all depends on who the majority of their listeners are.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 PM

3,332 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Default silly pop music, nothing more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Can anyone tell me why Green Day was spared of any denouncement by the right-wing for their political views presented on American Idiot?
Because, quite simply, they and their lyrics and their "spectacular smash sucess" are totally irrelevant to all but a small minority of pierced inked skate kids who are just discovering their intellect, and who buy that sort of music with mommy's credit card.

get real, get a life and get a clue

have a green dookey day

Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Green Day is a punk rock that is mostly popular with punk kids who are rebellious. It is not all that mainstream, and I would contend that a large amount of those listening to it don't care much about politics.
On the contrary, American Idiot sold 14 million copies, and won the Grammy Award for Best Rock Album. It was enormously popular with people, I would say, aged 14-30. Green Day performed the album's controversial title track at the Grammy Awards in 2005.

They've sold 65 million records worldwide. That beats out, say, Toby Keith, by a rather wide margin. Yet I wouldn't be silly enough to pretend Toby is "not all that mainstream."

Perceptions of what's "mainstream" are almost always subjective. It depends on the stream one is swimming in.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I don't know why the OP thinks conservatives would care one way or the other what Green Day has to say. They a catering to the left winger radicals anyway.
Kids tend to make decisions based on their favorite pop-star's opinion. Facts and figures mean nothing to them. It's all about popularity.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,271 times
Let me get this straight...

Bruce, Madonna, and the Dixie Chicks were criticized for their political views because their primary audience is adults (i.e. people over the age of 30).

On the other hand, Green Day weren't criticized for American Idiot because they were singing mainly for those of the disaffected youth (i.e. teens and 20-somethings).

Is that it in a nutshell?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:04 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
I am sure the right like and admire Green Day and their success and using Capitalism. Bush was horrible and unpopular and people agreed with Green Day which is why they were very successful.

I KNOW the conservatives feel great about Green Day!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
Because, quite simply, they and their lyrics and their "spectacular smash sucess" are totally irrelevant to all but a small minority of pierced inked skate kids who are just discovering their intellect, and who buy that sort of music with mommy's credit card.

get real, get a life and get a clue

have a green dookey day

On the contrary, there are many Green Day fans out there who first listened to them in the early 90s are and now 40. We buy their records with our own cash we earned from the careers we cultivated after graduating college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies