Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:07 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times

Advertisements

I think more people in general should look at the actual structure of the budget. Four items alone soak up most of the money:

-Interest payments on debt

-Medicare/Medicaid

-Social Security

-The military/Department of Defense

Budget reform must focus on those four areas, or else it is meaningless.

There are quite a few distractions - like the Gravina Island "bridge to nowhere" - but their cost is absolutely minuscule compared to the price of the above four categories of spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I find it troubling that you appear to think it's okay to spend a boat load so long as you're honest about it.....

Now remind me who preaches to be the "party of fiscal responsibility"?

Anyhoo, what I find more troubling is that you and your buddies appear to believe that Obama WANTS to spend Trillions and Trillions of dollars, as though it's his goal in life to spend as much as humanly possible....

Here's a simple question. If we wipe out all the entitlements like I'm sure you wish we would, where do these people go? You understand that they have to live somewhere. Will you complain about all the tent cities and all the panhandlers and poor people on the street? What about the inherent uptick in crime? Will you fund police and prisons more instead?

What about other entitlements? Should we simply bar anyone who is hurt or sick but without insurance from our hospitals? If not, you realize with or without insurance YOU are paying for thier visit, right?

Seems to me you're going to complain either way about how this all goes down. Bottom line is that there's no great solution here. Getting rid of entitlements sounds good on the surface. I mean Social Security and Medicare are the two biggies that are going to bankrupt the nation, right?

But what do you propose we do instead? I'd love to hear it... I mean we can't fund these monsters, but yet we have no answer on what we do with people who depend on them...

And so we have a massive budget filled with entitlement programs because our stupid government is trying to take care of the people. SHAME on them!!!
If you got that impression from my postings, then surely you havent read enough of them.

I'd be perfectly fine with the federal government ONLY spending money on what they were supposed to.. Things like the military..

If you dont understand, I want the federal government to be spending ALMOST NOTHING.. Many of the other items you listed are STATE responsibilities and obligations, which the federal government should NEVER have gotten involved in..

Old 02-01-2010, 10:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
You understand that Health Care reform is an attempt to FIX a broken entitlement right? The Health Care SYSTEM is broken...

This is/was an attempt to control the costs of health care. Whether you believe it would work or not is a fair fear to have, but to characterize it as a brand-new entitlement is off IMO...

To put it simply? I believe the philosophy of this Administration seems to be that you invest to fix things now so they cost less later...

If you focus on the initial cost? Yeah, you're going to HATE what you see. If you look down the road at how these things are supposed to work? You'd see the logic behind it (depending on who's economists you listen to)...
The healthcare system is broken because GOVERNMENT got involved and wont allow it to rectify itself. When the government dictates what coverage people need, where you can get coverage, how much to pay, who gets paid, what proceedures and tests need to be performed.. then its not able to fix itself..

Old 02-01-2010, 10:10 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,398 times
Taxation without representation!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,398 times
Ok now can a Liberal or Dem. tell me with a straight face that Obama is NOT trying to destroy this country....I mean come on.
Why not just end it!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:23 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
That's a fair and reasonable post.
I would prefer that neither side spend like that.
So would I... Part of it is a belief that it is, in fact, necessary to spend like this to prevent an economic disaster... Health Care addresses a future crisis more than the present crisis which is why I can understand opposition to it based on the timing, but that was NOT the reasoning I'd been hearing from Republican opposition for the most part...

Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
So basically what you're saying is that you'd prefer doing it with your sister as opposed to your aunt?
My sister would be younger than my aunt, so if the choice was between the two?

(I should note that I don't have a sister for all those creeped out by this post... )

Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If you got that impression from my postings, then surely you havent read enough of them.

I'd be perfectly fine with the federal government ONLY spending money on what they were supposed to.. Things like the military..

If you dont understand, I want the federal government to be spending ALMOST NOTHING.. Many of the other items you listed are STATE responsibilities and obligations, which the federal government should NEVER have gotten involved in..
Hmmm, okay... I can respect this....

The problem is that the cow is out of the barn... I'd like to hear your proposal on how to get it back in...

Yes, the obvious comeback is "Let's start by not letting more cows out." (ie. Health Care) to which I'll respond that that cow IS already out and that the current attempt is to at least keep it on the farm...

Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,463 times
The winners in the budget:

A) Education/schools get top billing.
B) Small business
C) Research and development
B) Air travel (ie; make air travel safer)

The losers

A) The wealthy (no wonder repugs are upset)
B) Banks (no wonder repugs are upset}
C) NASA
D) Climate change( why aren't the repugs jumping for joy?)

Snap Analysis: Winners and losers in Obama's new budget | Reuters

Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
This is damn scary. If you aren't scared, you're either blindly "progressive" or too naive to understand the DEPTH of this.

Bunker Building Mode Reactivated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies