Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 02:40 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have mixed feelings about Tim Tebow. He is a great football player and I hope he does well in the NFL. Lord knows they need some excitement there. But he is also a religious nutcase.
I was shocked when I found out that he played high school football for a school that he never attended for even one class! It seems like the state of Florida allows the "home schooled" to play sports for any school they want without attending school there. No only that but they may go there for a variety of activity including the free lunch program if they wish.
And unlike most athletes who must play for the school they attend- usually the one in their neighbourhood, the home schooled religious nutcases can actually CHOOSE the school they want to play for.
In my view if the school is not good nuff for your kids to attend, they should not be going there for other things. If they home schoolers want to have athletics they ought to have their OWN league- maybe "Jesus League" or something.

Another reason to love the Sunshine State!

The home schoolers pay the same taxes the rest of us do whether they use the public flunky academies or not.

Aren't liberals always whining about overcrowded classrooms?

A "Jesus League"?

Isn't it enough that these kids wipe the floor with PS kids on SATs and at spelling bees?

Public schools: come for the free lunch....stay for the indoctrination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Most "parochial schools" are Catholic and Catholics tend in general to not be part of the "religious right" but instead more often than not have historically aligned themselves with the Democratic Party.
That was the best term I could come up with for private schools run by a church. We have schools here run by Baptist churches and other schools termed "Christian" schools. I don't know what particular denomination those are though.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:44 AM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I kind of feel this way, too. Parents have a right to choose how their children are educated & shouldn't be penalized. But, I too, have heard enough parents (& kids - my homeschooled niece to be exact) put down PS education (along with the teachers & the students) at their local schools that it makes me wonder how they can then put their children into programs like sports & music in the same schools and with the same kids they tend to denigrate.
There is a HUGE difference between going to a public school 5 days a week 6 -8 hrs a day and attending one or two classes a couple of times a week. Here in NV we have the ability to put our kids in any classes we want to within the district our kids would have gone to school at anyway, as long as there is room for them. If my sons were in to sports, they have that choice to play sports for the public school. If a school had an excellent art class, they could do that too. I wouldn't mind it, being one class a couple of times a week... but I certainly don't want them in the public school full time. "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there".

As for the OP and others stating how horrible it is that the Tebow family have a residence in another district so he could play football there.... This has been happening forever. I've known plenty of kids who have used a friend or family members address so they could go to a particular school in a better/safer neighborhood and school. Parents will do whatever it takes to give their kids what they feel is best for them. Even if it means breaking a law... we'll do it to protect our kids and to give them what we feel is the best education. We should be making it easier for parents to do that, not harder.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
As for the OP and others stating how horrible it is that the Tebow family have a residence in another district so he could play football there.... This has been happening forever. I've known plenty of kids who have used a friend or family members address so they could go to a particular school in a better/safer neighborhood and school.
Yes, I'm aware of that. However, it seems a bit "ethically challenged".

Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 AM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that. However, it seems a bit "ethically challenged".
Do you even have kids?

Most parents would give up their LIFE to ensure the life of their child. Do you really expect them to not game the system a little to secure a better education or a safer school environment? If so, you're very naive.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Late to the discussion, but here is my two cents.

Being taxpayers, I have no problem with a homeschool child playing sports for a school team. However, they should have to play for their neighborhood/district school. Should not be able to pick and choose. Other kids cannot, for the most part.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Do you even have kids?

Most parents would give up their LIFE to ensure the life of their child. Do you really expect them to not game the system a little to secure a better education or a safer school environment? If so, you're very naive.
I have two, both young adults now. I didn't do the above for either one of them. We're not talking about "better education", or "safer school environment", either. We're talking about Mom and son moving to an apt. so they could claim residency in a school district that had a better football team.

I have no issue with a home school child (and that's what he was, a child) playing sports for a public school team in his/her attendance area. That is the law in Colorado and I see no problem with it. I do see a problem, ethically, with the above. I know it's been done for decades. Sometimes the schools are even aware of it, and turn a "blind eye". That doesn't make it right.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
They pay school taxes too and so do I. I don`t even have a child in school anymore. Just got my tax bill in and for the school dist it is $800. Homeschoolers should be allowed to play a sport in the public schools.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:02 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Another reason to love the Sunshine State!

The home schoolers pay the same taxes the rest of us do whether they use the public flunky academies or not.

Aren't liberals always whining about overcrowded classrooms?

A "Jesus League"?

Isn't it enough that these kids wipe the floor with PS kids on SATs and at spelling bees?
Public flunky academies?? Your ignorance is almost palpable...

Home schooled students are a very small subset of all students. All HS students have very involved, very concerned parents. Some PS students have very involved, very concerned parents. I suspect that if you compared the subset of PS students with involved, concerned parents to the subset of HS students, you would find that the HS students do not "wipe the floor with the PS kids" (how about a link to support this assertion) on SATs or any other standardized test.

Concerned, involved parents produce good students, whether they be public or home schooled. It's the parenting that makes the difference.
Quote:
Geez, another tin foil hat wearer....

Old 02-04-2010, 11:14 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Excellent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies