Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:29 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Oh please spare us.

It appllies to anyone under US government control regardless of their location.

Of course it doesn't apply to Germans on German soil.

If you have a problem with the authors points the floor is yours.
Didn't the plane over Detriot come from London? Thus, it never entered America. Until those passengers deboard and pass through customs, they were never "in" the United States. The criminal act took place outside of the US, by a non-US citizen, thus he is not subject to any of the rights we enjoy.

Those in Gitmo captured in the middle east... same thing.

Next thing we know, people like padcrasher are going to be forcing our soldiers to testify against enemies in a court of law that they were being shot at. That is how we will win wars, we will sue all the enemies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,047 times
Quote:
It appllies to anyone under US government control regardless of their location
Did we read miranda rights to captured Germans during WWI or WWII?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Combatants are not under the control of the US Government.

They do not have Constitutional rights. Nobody is arguing that.
Thats odd because I thought the Constitution applied to EVERYONE..
Quote:
When they come under the control of the US Government they do gain Constitutional rights. ( Former enemy combatants)
You are ignoring what I stated.. Why doesnt someone in the military have Constitutional rights, but those they capture do?
Quote:
That doesn't mean access to civilian court. A 6th grader would know the difference between having Constitutional rights and having access to civilian courts.
Do you know the difference between a civilian court, and a criminal one? The Constitution does not afford ANYONE rights to a civilian court, they however do grant rights in a criminal one.. (yet again you get one wrong)..
Quote:
You apparently do not know the difference, but on the other hand you think Episcopalians are not Christians....LOL
In the late 1700's there were HUGE differences..

Episcopalians read from the book of Common Prayer which included prayers for the king, the royal family, and the British Parliament while catholics read from the Bible and held religious beliefs towards Pius VI, the pope. The fact that you want to ignore the changes which have taken place over the last 225 years in the religion shows how you dont mind proving your ignorance.. (common sense should tell you there were differences, or they wouldnt have had two different names.. dah)

Last edited by pghquest; 02-01-2010 at 09:52 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 09:39 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Simply an utter take down of the right wing myth that only "citizens" have Constitutional rights.

After you read this, you almost feel sorry for these right wing dupes who can't hold a candle to this writer when it comes to expert analysis of Constitutional matters.

Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com
You should move to Yemen. Or Iran. Or Afghanistan.

You wrap yourself in the cloak of the Constitution and proclaim that terrorists are your newfound compatriots while forgetting that these bastards are trying to kill you. Does it get any more ignorant than that?

Why don't you go cry from the mountaintops that you want all terrorists tried in your backyard.

Somehow, I doubt we'll see you in the volunteer line. And even moreso, I don't see you signing up to go kill those bastards in their own back yard (ie. joining the miltary). You'd rather gloat that they're your new buddies in constitutional protectorship.

Absolutely disgusting.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You are ignoring what I stated.. Why doesnt someone in the military have Constitutional rights, but those they capture do?
I'm not taking sides here, but as a veteran I'll gladly answer (part of) this question for you.

Those in the military actually retain many Constitutional rights, a number of them just happen to be very limited in scope. It's just part of the treacherous line of work; sometimes we have to do things that'd get us incarcerated in the private sector, but are entirely necessary in the military sector. Certain rights are limited, others are not, and then there's the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) to abide by. It's an extremely complicated mess and I have neither the legal expertise, the time, let alone the desire to go into great length here or anywhere. If you want to learn more, there's Military Law Task Force and DoD Issuances - DoD Directives and many more links to provide for several lifetimes' worth of reading.

As for enemy combatants getting certain right and privileges, that's a whole other can of worms. Sometimes I hate it, but in other cases I can see why they're treated the way they are.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
I'm not taking sides here, but as a veteran I'll gladly answer (part of) this question for you.

Those in the military actually retain many Constitutional rights, a number of them just happen to be very limited in scope. Certain rights are limited, others are not, and there's the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) to abide by. It's an extremely complicated mess and I have neither the legal expertise, the time, let alone the desire to go into great length here or anywhere. If you want to learn more, there's Military Law Task Force and DoD Issuances - DoD Directives and many more links to provide for several lifetimes' worth of reading.

As for the part I can't and won't try to answer, that's a whole other can of worms.
Yes, I indeed do understand this but its very clear that the OP does not. Minitary personnel do indeed retain many of their rights, but not all. (such as a right to a lawyer).. If the OP wants to make the argument that the Constitution applies to "everyone", then they need to tell me why it doesnt even apply to those who serve in our military, but they think it somehow does apply to those captured in the battleground..

I havent hear their rationality in ignoring this very important fact, but indeed I'm not expecting to hear one either..

Old 02-01-2010, 10:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
We the people ...that goes on to describe why the people formed a nation. But I really think the OP doesn't know what the Bill Of Rights is. End of who is a dupe IMO.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:20 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
After you read this
Salon?

Hilarious!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Salon?

Hilarious!
You always know when wingers can't argue on the merits when their only option is to smear the source.

It's their most common comeback because they don't posess the mental ability to examine complex issues.

It's one step above the lame spell checker/grammar retort....lol

Old 02-01-2010, 10:34 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
We the people ...that goes on to describe why the people formed a nation.
We the people... Exactly. We can give OUR rights and We the People can rescind those rights, especially to foreigners trying to destroy us, our nation and by extension our Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies