Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I never stated my position on HCR I just want to make sure people understand what is being debated.

Right now America has exceptional technology, quality of Physicians and quality of hospitals.

I completely understand there is a cost to have all of that however I will not buy an argument that the insurance companies are run with efficency. They need to be reformed so they are not passing their outrageous expenses on to us.
I never said insurance companies shouldnt be reviewed but I'm sure other costs are in this besides the insurance companies. The question is who is going to do the reviewing and reforming.
I dont trust government do it.
We have care, cost and laws.
We have people sueing left and right of which is another issue.
We have state lines care, laws on drugs.
I think the government should do 2 things first.
Remove the restrictions on drug access from other countries and remove the restrictions on insurance companies based on state lines.
Restrict how much you can sue for and cap it.
That generally is not going to cost anyone more money and more freedom to the consumer which is a free market approach.
Government should not be involved in prices, but I would review what laws are in place to benefit insurance companies, doctors, lawyers etc that seem to pad the industry in one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 09:05 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
The Premier should have stayed in Canada for his surgery. By coming to the United States, it shows that the Canadian system is less than desirable and if one has the resources, that a Canadian should seek treatment elsewhere.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:14 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I never said insurance companies shouldnt be reviewed but I'm sure other costs are in this besides the insurance companies. The question is who is going to do the reviewing and reforming.
I dont trust government do it.
We have care, cost and laws.
We have people sueing left and right of which is another issue.
We have state lines care, laws on drugs.
I think the government should do 2 things first.
Remove the restrictions on drug access from other countries and remove the restrictions on insurance companies based on state lines.
Restrict how much you can sue for and cap it.
That generally is not going to cost anyone more money and more freedom to the consumer which is a free market approach.
Government should not be involved in prices, but I would review what laws are in place to benefit insurance companies, doctors, lawyers etc that seem to pad the industry in one way or the other.
I completely agree Government is not trustworthy to reform the insurance companies.
I agree with the rest of your post as well.

Opening the state boarders and cutting down the litigousness that permeates the system are essentials if any real reform is to take place.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:29 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Here's a little secret about Canadian health care folks: government bigwigs like the Peremier can use something called "National Defense Hospitals" which the Canadian public are NOT ALLOWED to use. Even that was not good enough for this gentelman so he came to the States.

The point being: in any system of national health care the elite are going to get special, and much better treatment over time than the public. My mom who's just your average little old lady walked off the street into the Massachusetts General Eye & Ear hospital ( which is considered the best eye care hospital in the world ) and got a complicated eye operation done by the best doctor in the world for this type of operation ! You think that's going to happen after so-called "health care reform" ?

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 02-02-2010 at 04:48 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 04:37 PM

132 posts, read 225,518 times
The first post of this thread was poorly premised and misguided, and there has been much back pedaling since.

The problem with back pedaling: You tend to run into a wall.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The debate is not about quality, it is about non availability due to unaffordability. Why are you not getting this?
And what caused the price to hire / buy medical care to go up?
GOVERNMENT.
Government is the source for:
1. Inflation - via licensing, (ever wonder why you have to BUY permission from a licensed person to then BUY medicine from another licensed person, who buys his inflated products from another licensed entity?)
2. Inflation - money debasement,
3. Inflation - taxes,
4. Inflation - insurance premiums, and
5. Inflation - administrative overhead.

The customer is the one stuck with the "bill", thanks to government.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:16 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
See this is where we all need to be educated.

The problem is not the overall quality of American Healthcare.

The problem is managing the costs of American Healthcare.
Exactly.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:16 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
So if an American has surgery in Canada, that must mean that the Canadian health care system is superior, and the American health care system is bad.

Maybe that's how a Goober thinks.

This thread reminds me of the threads that announce that it's cold today in Boston, so global warming must be a hoax!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:33 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
See this is where we all need to be educated.

The problem is not the overall quality of American Healthcare.

The problem is managing the costs of American Healthcare.

Excellent point!

Americans must be made to be active consumers through high deductible health savings accounts. As long as a third party is footing the bills, patients won't care how much care costs and providers will suck the teat of insurance and government for all they can. Maybe now that the Demo-creeps have failed to force their Stalinist state-run system on freedom loving Americans we can start over in the right direction with market-based reforms.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:48 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Excellent point!

Americans must be made to be active consumers through high deductible health savings accounts. As long as a third party is footing the bills, patients won't care how much care costs and providers will suck the teat of insurance and government for all they can. Maybe now that the Demo-creeps have failed to force their Stalinist state-run system on freedom loving Americans we can start over in the right direction with market-based reforms.
Republicans had many years to do something about health care costs in America. They came up with Health Savings Accounts (have they had any effect at all?) and Medicare Part D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies