Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Much easier to tax than take to task CUTTING PROGRAMS.
Tax while continue spending. At this rate they will never cut any programs, continue to add new programs and all the while Americans will be told that we have to "tighten our belts" and send them more money. Meanwhile over on the private side..corporations are cutting 401K matches, cutting hours, cutting bonus/raises and even cutting salaries.

American workers are getting it from both ends. How much longer do you think it can go on like this ?
Until more and more people take to drinking tea and partying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 12:40 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So, you think it is ok for 40% of the nation not to pay any income taxes and to be supported by the rest? That this bottom 40% should even get tax "refunds" from a system they have not paid into??

How long do you think a nation can sustain such levels of over-taxation (combined federal, state & local exceeding 50% of all income earned) of that population that creates wealth, technologies and jobs without becoming a mediocrity on the world stage?

Is that what you want for this nation, just another vast mediocrity? Because, that is exactly what is being created by government waste, a too large central government, and the welfare entitlement state we are becoming.

Our government has become a malignat tumor on the prosperity of our nation and it threatens its very survival. This is exactly what Obama meant when he was going to "fundamentally change" America.

Thank You, and do you make sense. He is already on his way to "fundamentally changing" America, does not take a rocket scientist to figure this one out, does it.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
That was intentional. I preceive "fair" as everyone paying (close) to an equal share of taxes. Many people are just for lower and lower taxes because they want more money. I recognize the need to government revenue but think it should be obtained more proportionately.
Uh, yeah.....they want more money for silly things like food, clothes and a safe place to live. The less your income, the higher percent of your income those things take up. The concept of the progressive tax is that the income above that necessary for food, clothes and a safe place to live is disposable and thus more morally subject to taxation. Check out a Tax Rate Schedule. Everyone pays the same rate, it's just that the higher you go on the schedule, the higher the taxes are.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf -- go to the last page -- page 101

Don't forget....the table applies to "taxable income" -- income after deductions, exemptions and adjustments -- not total income.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And when that happens people will start going "Galt".

This administration IMHO has an agenda of the great equalizing of Americans. Bring the top down so the bottom can be brought up.

47% closer to the bottom than the top is almost the majority.
So almost 1/2 of Americans pay taxes to support themselves and the other 1/2 of Americans.

(that 47% are those that pay no Fed Income tax..they either pay nothing or get 100% or 100%+ back in refunds each year).

This is exactly what this administration is doing. They have an agenda all right, you said it Bring the top down, to make room so that the bottom can be brought up. Amazing is it not.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:45 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default President Obama knows best

As the president of this country, with experts far more versed in the economy than any of you, I trust that his moves are the best for the country. You sideline critics don't have a clue. It's very different now that Republicans and the village idiot are not running the country.

President Obama is getting it done...and don't you forget it either.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 PM

769 posts, read 887,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
As the president of this country, with experts far more versed in the economy than any of you, I trust that his moves are the best for the country. You sideline critics don't have a clue. It's very different now that Republicans and the village idiot are not running the country.

President Obama is getting it done...and don't you forget it either.

Then how come CNBC (also riddled with experts, minus the leftist agenda) is one of the President's biggest critics.

Whether or not you think Bush was intelligent, I'm sure his advisors had the same credibility as Obamas'.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:58 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
Obama's proposed tax changes - Feb. 2, 2010

This article has the budget making the middle class tax cuts permanent, along with the make work pay credit.
I find that article to be very interesting but for some reason all this talk about 10 year amounts makes me wonder. If he intends to move toward deficit reduction I see no way that $700 billion in ten years from those people making over $250,000 as a manner of doing that. I am sure that he will have to hit us of the middle class as soon as possible because there is no other way to pay for his huge annual budget. Talking in 10 year increments as is done by THEM tells me that they will average $70 billion per year and that is not very near paying for the deficit he suggested for this year.

WE ARE GOING TO HAVE IT STUCK TO US UNLESS THE GOVERNMENT CUTS BACK ON SPENDING. The administration talks about cutting spending by cutting agencies that are expendable and doubled with others but is still spending much more than it is taking in. We tax the middles or we go down to something other than what we are used to.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So what happened in all the States when the Repubs lower taxes and hence recieved less revenue causing less to be given to the States? The States raised their taxes. Face it people, taxes were going to go up even if Obama had done nothing, we were deep in debt and no matter how you cut it we had to pay the piper sooner or later. FYI, my taxes have not gone up at all, I wonder how some of us here somehow got a tax increase and others did not, maybe only Repubs got a tax increase, way to go Obama. Just kidding, especially since the right will be rounded up and put in camps in the near future, meaning we cannot count on their taxes, at least that what some righties hint at on occasion.
Casper
I don't remember whether you are on SS or not but for some reason at the beginning of this year my Medicare taxes went up nearly $10 and my SS payment stayed where it was other than the extra Medicare payment that is deducted from it monthly. Can you tell me if we retired people pay more than others do for Medicare? At my house I find that I pay more than my wife, or either of my sons pay. This is considered a payroll tax for workers but for we of the SS crowd it is just an added tax.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If the government followed my tax suggestions the working and middle classes would get a very big break by allowing anythin under the 85th percentile to be fully deductable and the 85th percentile and above would go crazy when they had to pay for maintaining the country they own.

Think about a graduated income tax starting at 20% for the 85 percentile and increasing to 90+% for the upper most 99.9 percentile.
I guess you believe in equality of condition, huh Greg? Do you understand what that means? If you do, tell me how you keep killing those wealthy people and still have anyone paying taxes under your plan.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:05 PM

769 posts, read 887,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
WE ARE GOING TO HAVE IT STUCK TO US UNLESS THE GOVERNMENT CUTS BACK ON SPENDING. The administration talks about cutting spending by cutting agencies that are expendable and doubled with others but is still spending much more than it is taking in. We tax the middles or we go down to something other than what we are used to.
This is only way for our debt problem to be brought under control, the only issue is the current turds in Congress cannot do it. I don't see them being able to either without term limits or a President that is serious about cutting spending.

The President wants to get people back to work but never addresses the fact that jobs follow the economy. In an effort to 'progess' our country actions Obama whats to take hurt the economy therefore never allowing unemployment to recover. Course he knows this, but in a progressive's ideal world everyone works for the government so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies