Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: Don't Ask Don't Tell should be repealed.
Strongly agree 58 59.18%
Agree 19 19.39%
Neither agree nor disagree 5 5.10%
Disagree 8 8.16%
Strongly disagree 8 8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,241,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortysir View Post
You're asking someone that has taken an oath to defend us against all enemies, foreign and domestic, to keep a secret that, if discovered by the wrong sort of people, could later be held against them in order to garner top-secret favors.
No, the other poster is saying that gays in the military should not disclose their sexual orientation in order to protect their well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,241,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Knowing that a soldier is gay is simply that. They are gay. That's all.
The fact is, it can hurt unit morale. AND, for the gay service member, it can put them possibly in harms way

Old 02-03-2010, 10:52 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,210,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually we do

if they have kids, we have to give concessions to that need
if they are married. then we have to deal with domestic problems
if the are fratanizing (banging in the barracks) then we DISIPLINE then...its against policy
if they have hot/buff chick/men posters on the wall....not allowed...article 15

the fact is IF we KNow , then we have to DEAL with that situation

I dont care if one of my soldiers is banging 10 people a night....but if I do then I have to deal with it...safety, security, health issues

its just like drugs...they are against regs...I dont care what you do on your own time,..but if I KNOW, then I have to deal with it.....also if get caught on a urinalysis, and you will be discharged...

that why we DONT WANT TO KNOW, or be told if someone is gay

if you are gay, that is YOUR business...so keep it to yourself

signed

the First Sergeant (retired(2004))
Well said and exactly right. How many careers were ended when leadership found out about senior enlisted having relations with jr. enlisted females?
Officers having relations with enlisted?
Don't ask don't tell was in place long before Clinton made it so and not just for gays.
I had a man on my team liked to nail wives of other men. As 1 can imagine it didn't take long for this to become a problem. The military has regulations for a reason. Mostly to protect the individual. Is the military ready for gays to come out in the open? I don't know. I would guess they are a lot closer than they were even 10 years ago. If they do this and they just might be prepared. There will be incidents and I hope the violators get the max punishment. But there will be victims and there will be trouble. Saying this is a rule does not mean people won't break it.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:09 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,486,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The fact is, it can hurt unit morale. AND, for the gay service member, it can put them possibly in harms way
If a gay man or lesbian in the military affects unit morale, then there is something wrong with the unit, not the gay person. If the other soldiers in the unit intend on doing harm to another soldier in the unit because they are gay, lesbian, black, hispanic, asian, female or anything else that makes them stand apart, then there is something wrong with the soldier doing harm and that soldier should not be in the military because they are the ones endangering unit cohesion and morale. Military personnel are supposed to serve and protect their country and its populace, including the other members of their unit, regardless of their race, sex or sexual orientation.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:57 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,406 times
Quote:
No, the other poster is saying that gays in the military should not disclose their sexual orientation in order to protect their well being.
Gays are going to be attacked by a select few whether they're in the military or the private sector.
A secret can be used against you in blackmail.
Friend of mine lost his security clearance when it was discovered he had an affair and didn't notify his chief.
Military can't operate with secrets within it's ranks.

To answer another poster's question: Yes. I was in charge of starboard side main deck..... 8-10 under me. (what some might call a squad)
And I knew everything there was to know about each and everyone of them. And them, I.
When someone is holding the lifeline, while you're hanging off the side of the ship at 20 knots in 12 foot seas, you like to know you can trust them.
Was one of them gay? Would I be betraying that person's trust by saying yes, or would I just be embellishing for the sake of debate?????
Guess you'll never know.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:03 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,084,386 times
I am not going to go back and read through all this forum but I did take some time yesterday to go around to the senior citizen center and VFW to talk to soldiers and vets and pose the question of gays serving openly in the military. Comments were numerious that when someone thinks of gays they also think of AIDS. The general comments was fat chance someone will aid them if injured (blood) and risk getting AIDS and h*ll no on any mouth to mouth if needed. "They better hope to hell they have another q**** there to help them"

My take, be careful what you wish for. I have changed my view, gays should serve openly.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:05 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,289,329 times
A little background would help for me on this one.

What is the current problem with DADT?

I mean, I'm in FULL agreement that the military shouldn't ask a recruit's sexuality. So this implies that the problem with it is on the "telling" side of it....

What kind of problems are occuring here?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,554,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
A little background would help for me on this one.

What is the current problem with DADT?

I mean, I'm in FULL agreement that the military shouldn't ask a recruit's sexuality. So this implies that the problem with it is on the "telling" side of it....

What kind of problems are occuring here?
It essentially means a gay soldier cannot have a "life" outside of the military for fear of being caught. No civil union or marriage, no adoptive kids, no power of attorney documents. If they had a partner, that person is invisible in all aspects to the military. That's a lot to ask of someone who is already willing to give up their life.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,557,213 times
^ agreed Zimbo! why should someone be willing to die for a nation that doesn't even respect their rights?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:33 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,035 times
Quote:
If I said white people in the military offends me and it's hurting the unit morale and it'll probably hurt the white service member, would I handed with a lawsuit then?

If the unit is butt hurt (not a pun ) about them having a gay in their squad, then they need to leave or work out their inner turmoil. The purpose of the military is to work as one and to fight and defend the country. Military men and women come in all shades and sizes, and backgrounds.

Their goal? To defend their country in which they love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies