Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If that is the case, then who will pay for the private plans? Your view suggests that everyone will be broke. The public option was not meant to be paid by tax payer either, but by the individual, but if you have so little faith in US in general, then I don't see how you think anyone will be able to pay for anything.
Not broke..but not well off.
If people cannot afford insurance today then they will not be able to afford it tomorrow. An example is Walmart employees who have access to company healthcare but have their kids enrolled in medicaid instead due to cost.

When a min wage job is considered your full time career..just how do you afford healthcare ? I won't even go anywhere near saving for college or retirement.

Here's a link..service jobs once considered entry level, part time and not careers are now just that.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...ys-323224.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 04:40 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
With healthcare costs going up by double digits each year while salaries stagnate the payment would become prohibitive to some..just like today. Someone has to cover the costs even with a Public Option.
If it is the case that our government has allowed our jobs to leave our shores easily under the guise of free trade and at the same time swung open our southern borders to kill off another segment of our workforce, in which I do believe, it is even more reason this pathetic federal government needs to reign in these insurance rackets who are depleting the American public of their wealth at a rapid pace. If they don't the 50 States need to disband this government and start all over again.

In response to Purplelove, $20,000 gets you into Canada? I didn't know that. My wife has many relatives in Toronto. Want to buy a house in the DC burbs of Northern VA?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:27 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
If it is the case that our government has allowed our jobs to leave our shores easily under the guise of free trade and at the same time swung open our southern borders to kill off another segment of our workforce, in which I do believe, it is even more reason this pathetic federal government needs to reign in these insurance rackets who are depleting the American public of their wealth at a rapid pace. If they don't the 50 States need to disband this government and start all over again.

In response to Purplelove, $20,000 gets you into Canada? I didn't know that. My wife has many relatives in Toronto. Want to buy a house in the DC burbs of Northern VA?
I'm just a college kid and even then, I want to rent not buy.
In any case I'd love to live in the DC Burbs.

My gf and I plan on saving up to move to Canada or the UK.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I'm just a college kid and even then, I want to rent not buy.
In any case I'd love to live in the DC Burbs.

My gf and I plan on saving up to move to Canada or the UK.
I'd stay away from the UK. Their sovereign debt credit rating was reduced and they have a triple digit percentage increase in violent crime since they banned guns. They're poised to be a net importer of oil since the North Sea fields have peaked and they're experimenting with policies that will soon bankrupt their economy. Miserable place. Canada would be the lesser of the two evils.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:35 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I'd stay away from the UK. Their sovereign debt credit rating was reduced and they have a triple digit percentage increase in violent crime since they banned guns. They're poised to be a net importer of oil since the North Sea fields have peaked and they're experimenting with policies that will soon bankrupt their economy. Miserable place. Canada would be the lesser of the two evils.
Hmmm....plus I'd be closer to my family.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 PM

300 posts, read 429,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I don't have a problem with paying more in taxes provided we get more out of them. Currently our taxes are paying for two stupid wars, banker bailouts, and other stupid things.

Every health care system rations. Here we ration based on your ability to pay. There is nothing wrong with rationing, it's a necessary evil.
I have to say that you really have not considered the FACT that we, the UNITED STATES cannot afford (dollars and cents) a European style (any country)system - we have more people in some cities than some European nations have in total!

We simply cannot afford it.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I carry my gun with me all the time - I would not be happy living somewhere that bans firearms

Old 02-03-2010, 06:42 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Sounds like they need a UNION

Old 02-03-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Sounds like they need a UNION

Sounds like "who" needs a union?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:44 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
I have to say that you really have not considered the FACT that we, the UNITED STATES cannot afford (dollars and cents) a European style (any country)system - we have more people in some cities than some European nations have in total!

We simply cannot afford it.
Single payer insurance is paid for by "the group" or American citizens. These taxes (or premiums) are in lieu of your and your employers health insurance premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies