Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What official languages should the U.S. have?
English only 90 71.43%
English and Spanish 3 2.38%
English and French 2 1.59%
English, Spanish and French 4 3.17%
None at federal level (like now) 27 21.43%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:29 AM

14,478 posts, read 11,269,779 times

Advertisements

English only.

It does no one any good to have two different populations in this country based on language and that's exactly what will happen if we keep bending over backwards for the Spanish speaking population. Americans learning another language to accommodate the immigrants who speak it only hurts them.

When did language "barriers" become language "gateways to diversity"?

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 02-04-2010 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I had to vote English, only since it worked so good for so long. Also, we could save a lot of money on not having to have ESL teachers and could use that money for others in education.

All those years people came in and learned English so they could become citizens and then liberal diversity became so strong that they don't have to any more.
The City of Boston has it's voting ballots printed in Spanish and VietNamese at substantial cost to the taxpayer even though to be able to vote you have to be American and to be American you have to know English.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 02-04-2010 at 07:09 AM..

Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,193 times
I don't think we need an official language in this country, federally speaking. Although I also don't think that we need to waste taxpayer dollars translating federal forms into 50 different languages to please every foreigner. Common sense dictates that the burden of paying for a translator rests with the one who cannot speak the language of the country he is visiting.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:54 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,331 times
I am against having an official language, be it English or anything else. We are a government of the people. If the day comes when the majority of citizens are Spanish speaking then that language would become the defacto "official" language. So be it.

I am ashamed at how linquistically illiterate we are compared to much of the developed world. Hopefully that will change as the U.S. continues to decline in world dominance.

I would like to see every grade school child learn, at an early age, at least one language if not two besides English.

Additionally I think hiring and promotion preferences should be given to multi-lingual applicants and employees especially in government positions just as veterans are given preference.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:57 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
I don't think we need an official language in this country, federally speaking. Although I also don't think that we need to waste taxpayer dollars translating federal forms into 50 different languages to please every foreigner. Common sense dictates that the burden of paying for a translator rests with the one who cannot speak the language of the country he is visiting.
I think this is a sensible post. English is our language and part of me feels it should be recognized nationally, but on the other hand, I'm a big state's rights guy, and I wouldn't be opposed to the states setting their own standards for this. I know Louisiana recognizes French and it has cultural reason to do so. It wouldn't seem unreasonable if Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire went down a similar path.

I know Oklahoma has been pushing to set English as their official state language as of late, and predictably, Comrade Obama is up in arms.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
I am against having an official language, be it English or anything else. We are a government of the people. If the day comes when the majority of citizens are Spanish speaking then that language would become the defacto "official" language. So be it.

I am ashamed at how linquistically illiterate we are compared to much of the developed world. Hopefully that will change as the U.S. continues to decline in world dominance.

I would like to see every grade school child learn, at an early age, at least one language if not two besides English.

Additionally I think hiring and promotion preferences should be given to multi-lingual applicants and employees especially in government positions just as veterans are given preference.
This is the type of mentality I find reprehensible - That nothing in a nation - its language, its culture, its history is worth preserving in the face of globalization. In reality, you won't need the federal government to enforce anything. States like Massachusetts and California might allow illegals of all stripes to walk over them and change their state languages to Spanish and Hindi, but there are many many states that will not.

Make no mistake, when push comes to shove, the states will be much tougher than the federal government on this issue.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
Having an official language does not preclude one from speaking whatever language they want to speak anytime or anywhere. You should first find out what having official languages actually entail before you voice an opinion on them.

Quote:
Not knowing other languages has nothing to do with illiteracy. That's insulting. And decline in world dominance??!! you sound like you hope this happens. Please tell me that I am reading you wrong.

Quote:
Why and what language should the child learn? If you say Spanish then tell me what real benefit will that child receive from learning Spanish.
I learned Italian in school. I am grateful for it for the singular reason that it gave me an understanding of etymology (look it up).

Quote:
Please tell me what correlation can be drawn between a veteran who has proudly and bravely served his/her country and a person who learned another language?

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 02-04-2010 at 07:55 AM..

Old 02-04-2010, 07:44 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,632,284 times
A common language unifies a people and that is so important. We must be able to communicate with one another, else how will we ever work/grow/live with one another? By advocating a multilinguistic state we are opening the doors to seperate but equal --- and how did that work out for us?

No, language is too important to be left to 'political correctness'. That is not to say that learning more than one language isn't important and beneficial. And that is also not to say keeping the language of ones parents/grandparents alive also isn't a wonderful thing. It is. But we must have one common language or else we as a nation will be lost.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Here in McKinleyville we have a Spanish emersion program in the Middle school, the kids take all the classes in Spanish for half the day and English for the other half. One of my neighbors little boy started kindergarten this year and he can already count to well past thirty in both Spanish and English, just last summer he was still baby talking and now he is speaking clearly. My mom was Portuguese and my stepdad and half brothers and sister I grew up with are Mexican and American Indian, I am German, Dutch and Portuguese, I can say a few things in Mexican, Portuguese besides English. In my senior year I took French because I ran out of things to take and within a few weeks I was able to pick it up. My teacher said it was because I had the Latin influence from my family. I have not voted yet, but I say leave it alone so far.
For all the hand wringing in this nation about how our school children are falling behind in education (science, math, technology) and therefore will be at a disadvantage in the marketplace, what is the solution that the braindead liberals come up with?: Spanish immersion!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 AM

23,802 posts, read 24,078,143 times
English.

Why would we want to triple the printing costs for every form the government prints?

I don't care what language people speak at home or among friends, but in order to live in an organized society, people need to be able to communicate with each other. There has to be a common language with which they can do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies