U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What official languages should the U.S. have?
English only 90 71.43%
English and Spanish 3 2.38%
English and French 2 1.59%
English, Spanish and French 4 3.17%
None at federal level (like now) 27 21.43%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,497 times

Advertisements

The United States, in my opinion should have three official languages.
English, Spanish and French.
Currently, the U.S. do not have any official language by federal level, although the national language is English, and some states have English as official language, and one state (Louisiana) has both English and French as official language.

English, Spanish and French are the most spoken language in the U.S. (Yes, Chinese is spoken slightly more than French), but it's not written in latin alphabet, and it's extremely rarely spoken by non-native speakers.

Spanish is spoken by nearly 50 million in the U.S., and should definetely be one of the U.S. official language. So signs/packages should be also written in Spanish, along with English and French.

French, spoken by couple of million people in the U.S., and the second most studied foreign language, and spoken widely as second language in New England, Louisiana, NYC and parts of the Southeast. It is also the second most studied, and widely spoken language in the World, after English, and the only language along with English, spoken in 5 continents.

Spanish and French has total speakers of around 400 - 500 million, but French is spoken in slightly more countries, and second most common language after English everywhere except in South America.
Is also used to be nr 1 most studied language before the Spanish came to the U.S.

Quebec, just north of us has French as official language, and Canada is bilingual. Mexico and South America south of us is Spanish.

No, having 3 official language in such a large country is not a lot.
There are MANY countries, much smaller than America, has 2-4 official languages. Switzerland is an example.

Last edited by Bo; 02-03-2010 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: This controversial topic was moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 PM

893 posts, read 2,460,405 times
I'm half Puerto Rican. My moms side of the family all speak Spanish fluently. BUT I still believe America should be English only.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:56 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,204,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
I'm half Puerto Rican. My moms side of the family all speak Spanish fluently. BUT I still believe America should be English only.
I agree with you. America should be English only. If the US had a second language it should be Spanish, because there are a lot of Spanish speakers in the US.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:58 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,828,956 times
French is not widely spoken in the U.S. though Spanish is. But English is the dominate language.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,783,847 times
I prefer none at the federal level.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,098,219 times
I support making English only the official language of the United States.

Some states have visible French heritage, such as Louisiana, and parts of northern Maine that border Canada, but whether or not those states want to recognize French in addition to English (I know Louisiana already does) is a matter for those states alone to decide, not a national issue.

As for Spanish, it is being largely pushed due to illegal immigration and those seeking to accomodate illegal immigrants for economic and political reasons. I'm strongly opposed to giving Spanish the same status as English in the U.S. and thus rendering the U.S. some third world bordello on par with the banana republics of Latin America. This is an English nation, largely colonized by the English and English-speaking.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:45 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,451,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I support making English only the official language of the United States.

I'm strongly opposed to giving Spanish the same status as English in the U.S. and thus rendering the U.S. some third world bordello on par with the banana republics of Latin America.
so then you think that the spanish language is inferior to the english language?

Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,098,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
so then you think that the spanish language is inferior to the english language?
How can a language be inferior?

Of course, the culture and civilization associated with said language can be superior/inferior, depending on the situation and the language in question.

The Spanish language in the U.S. should naturally take on an inferior position. This is an English-language nation.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:52 PM

2,646 posts, read 4,996,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
This is an English-language nation.
You really do need to move down south.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:53 PM

4,230 posts, read 8,874,255 times
It should be English IMO or none at all. English is the most common language in this country. When is English going to be come official for Mexico and Latin America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies