Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:29 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Nothing like a good "backhanded" compliment to kick off the weekend, right?

Hispanics have contributed a great deal to our nation's history (within our nation's borders), especially here in the West.

Attitudes like this are the very reason that having a month dedicated to exploring the contributions of other races is important.

hispanic isnt a race btw its an enormous ethnicity, a group whos culture extend outside the US and in the US they claim their motherland countries no the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 10:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Nothing like a good "backhanded" compliment to kick off the weekend, right?

Hispanics have contributed a great deal to our nation's history (within our nation's borders), especially here in the West.

Attitudes like this are the very reason that having a month dedicated to exploring the contributions of other races is important.

Hispanics have contributed greatly to American history, and the history of North America and Latin America are greatly intertwined. As well, many important figures in Latin American history were/are black.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Maybe some American History and African American History happen in what was Mexico?

Yes, several of the original settlers of Los Angeles, which was then part of Mexico, were black.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
i dont mean it literally
it should be called mexican history month then or better yet chicano or tejano. bottom line it doesnt compare to black history because black history is pure american.
Black history is worldwide.

Quote:
ask yourself would black AMERICAN history month fly in mexico ? NO you know why because its not the US what about american history=NO
The history of Afro-Mexicans should definitely be taught in Mexico.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:11 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,239,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post

Spanish American History Month - Sept 15 - Latinos

Italian Americans - Columbus day and also the month of October.

German American History Month - Sept 15 - Oct 15 ( October fest)

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month - May

Polish American month - October

Native American Month- Several states celebarate it on Columbus day

Let Black people enjoy the month please!!!
Not to mention Irish-American Heritage Month. Don't hear too many complaints about that one, though.

Irish-American Heritage Month - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-07-2010, 01:06 AM

15,091 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I believe Black History Month was originally promoted as an idea to help guide black youth, who didn't seem to have much of an interest in history, or their own history, to develop an interest. It was also an idea guided through because the history of black traditions and people in early American history was LITTLE discussed in U.S. schools.

That's where the idea was born out of. So, for me to agree with the OP, I have to ask: Do our schools do a better job of teaching a wider array of historical knowledge? I think the answer is probably not.

It doesn't really matter to me either way. I'm just a fan of history and wish many more Americans were too. Is Black History Month really offensive/bothersome to people? I had no idea. I think it'd be neat if other groups started their own history months, myself.
I'd be happy if they just taught a little truth instead of the steaming pile of propaganda they now teach.

A good place to start would be history of the Constitution month, and how it's become a doormat for lying thugs.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Its racist.

Reason 1.
We have no asian, polish, german, irish, hispanic and indian history month.
Reason 2.
It is not called Great Americans month its called "BLACK" history month.
Its not about black, white, red, green and blue racists of which if you were to be fair and not RACIST you would not have just a black history month.
Reason3.
History lessons leave alot of details missing and who assisted those Black people, government, inventors, teachers and or any other color.

Those who say white history is the rest of the months is a joke and shows that typical racist comment and where you think a "balance" should be.
Sorry history is taught not just white history. It just so happens that in the history of this nation white people appear to be the major contributors when dealing with government etc.
If we want to continue to label people based on race I prefer just to call them by their NAME not a "white" person or black person.
So if your racist you can continue this nonsense of black history month and continue to put history in the realms of groups and race. I'm ready to call everyone Americans in the history of this nation black, white, asian etc. I think we as a nation who is promoting freedom for all races, sex and religion needs to see what signal your sending to our children. If you made a impact good or bad it can be discussed and your name not your color and your character are the history not your skin color.
It's so sad that people will spend time out of their lives grinding their teeth over something like this, that obviously doesnt even affect them.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:34 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes, history is selective, and in America it has been whites who have selected and determined what goes into the curriculum and what does not. My school was a private school, and my teachers had a fairly large impact on what was taught. Not so most public schools.
Instead of promoting black history month, why not work to get more black history into the public school curriculum, then we wouldn't need black history month.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:41 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I think Black History Month just further divides our country. It's stupid. My son in 5th grade has been learning about blacks in his social studies class all year long. There is no reason to devote a month specifically to one segment of society at the exclusion of all others. If anything, we should have hispanic history month given the huge and growing segment of hispanics in our country. Does anyone really believe that black history is only taught during the month of February and that it isn't incorporated into the normal social studies curriculum anyhow? How can you learn about the civil war without learing about black history?
The bleeping Civil war was 4 years...4. How can one learn about a culture studying a 4 year spand. God help our educational system...

Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
It sounds like you're on top of your kid's schooling and taking an interest in his history, and I really respect that - just wanted to say. I'm really excited to have children for the same reasons.

You know, it isn't just in Black History that their history lacks. Wait until he starts to learn about WWII in Junior High. There will likely be very little mention of the Soviets and the fact that they actually defeated 2/3rd of Hitler's army. I remember looking at my nephew's textbook and remembering that the U.S. flew in and saved the world from communism lol.

History is just too gray a subject for kids to digest it in its entirety obviously, but I do think we can do a better job.
Tell the truth, the Soviets were not really involved in ww2 to much, until Hitler invaded Russia. Hell, most of the German soldiers froze to death before Russia had a chance to kill them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies