Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I agree. No black history month for me...to me it sounds like a racist thing to have it or you need to have a white history month, asian history month, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Its racist.

Reason 1.
We have no asian, polish, german, irish, hispanic and indian history month.
Reason 2.
It is not called Great Americans month its called "BLACK" history month.
Its not about black, white, red, green and blue racists of which if you were to be fair and not RACIST you would not have just a black history month.
Reason3.
History lessons leave alot of details missing and who assisted those Black people, government, inventors, teachers and or any other color.

Those who say white history is the rest of the months is a joke and shows that typical racist comment and where you think a "balance" should be.
Sorry history is taught not just white history. It just so happens that in the history of this nation white people appear to be the major contributors when dealing with government etc.
If we want to continue to label people based on race I prefer just to call them by their NAME not a "white" person or black person.
So if your racist you can continue this nonsense of black history month and continue to put history in the realms of groups and race. I'm ready to call everyone Americans in the history of this nation black, white, asian etc. I think we as a nation who is promoting freedom for all races, sex and religion needs to see what signal your sending to our children. If you made a impact good or bad it can be discussed and your name not your color and your character are the history not your skin color.
Anybody that is bothered by the fact that one month is dedicated to a FEW African Americans is a raciest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 08:03 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This post is exactly the reason why it is important to educate the Black community (and others) about our contributions to this great nation.

Many times people such as this (obviously envious of Blacks who are better educated, have much better jobs, live better and simply have more) will attempt to raise their own self esteem by trying to make sure that another race is beneath them.

Fortunately, I (and others like me) have been well educated and we know our history. When you know your history and you know the greatness of your legacy, negative (and bigoted) people can do nothing to tear you down.

Nice try though, miu
The black speakers mui talks about, are exactly whats wrong with the leadership of the under class black community. They think throwing a bunch of money at it will make every thing OK. What they really need is education, it's the only way out of the ghetto!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:57 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
There are a lot of whites in this country that are terrified if blacks to have anything. You still have whites that are even amazed at the presence of a successful black American. I'm not talking about Bill, Oprah and the usual suspects whites like to name. I talking very successful business owners.

They act like blacks are from another planet.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:03 AM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Black history month for the purpose of boosting the self esteem of black youth should be taught by their family.
True. It's called home education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Otherwise, having a black history month also serves to annoy non-blacks and further emphasizes race which furthers racism.
Why should contributions from another race 'annoy' the people who don't belong to it? I'm not Japanese but I could study the culture for a whole month and appreciate it whole hearty.

Truth be told, if an individual is a serious student of history, in particular, ancient history, one can learn to appreciate all forms of cultures. I know I do, I may spend a week studying ancient Sumer, then another week studying the Myans, then take it to ancient Greece, then swing over to Kemit.

See, the real problem is that American history (his story) STARTS at ancient Greece then takes students through Rome, then gets stuck on WW1-2! So due to this cherry picking of history, many students get annoyed at the introduction of African culture because; no 1: The introduction is always negative in that Africans were oppressed and it makes white man today who had nothing to do with slavery/war feel guilty. And no.2, white people see African culture as insignificant because they have been mislead that the Caucasoid was always the caretakers of advanced knowledge and through their brilliance alone, they were the founders of our current civilization (which is ANYTHING BUT civilized BTW).

See, young pupils are not taught that the ancient Greeks were at the feet of the Egyptians (who were of various shades of color but were AFRICAN none the less!) to learn the deep wisdom that was accumulated and passed down from deep antiquity. For example, The Hermetica is just a Greek twist/re-telling of the ancient laws that were given to them by the Egyptians.

Last edited by Morphous01; 02-25-2010 at 09:34 AM..

Old 02-25-2010, 09:23 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,306 times
I think it's important as a part of history, but I don't think putting into a separate history lesson is important.
Dr King, was important.
Harriet Tubman, was important.
And my buddy, George Washington Carver is important. Mmmm peanut butter.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:43 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,885 times
I think I'll have to disagree with the notion of ending Black History month.

The reason I state this is because black people were here longer than any of the other minorities and because of the fact that next to white people, black people are the most abundant in the US (though, Hispanics/Latinos are catching up...). Plus, you get to learn about a variety of different Black people who made a difference during the times of oppression. Finally, it wouldn't be PC to implement an educational honoring for decades and then suddenly taking it away.

In a sense, you could use Black History Month and see it as a month for inspiration against oppression and inner strength. Just because they are black doesn't mean it doesn't apply to you. I see it as, they just happened to be black, but the messages are still clearly in there.

That being said, I think (and I'm generalizing here, so please don't kill me) that, as a whole, Black people should use that Black History Month as an example to free themselves from their own oppressive doings. The cyclic self-defeating mentality will just continue to spiral downwards and will continue to pass on generation to generation unless you did something.

I loved learning about Rosa Parks the best when I was a child (though, I was pretty disappointed to hear that she was not the first person for refusing...) followed by Harriet Tubman (anyone know why the "Underground Railroad" when it wasn't an actual railroad?)

Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
The black speakers mui talks about, are exactly whats wrong with the leadership of the under class black community. They think throwing a bunch of money at it will make every thing OK. What they really need is education, it's the only way out of the ghetto!

Also, just to clarify something....there is no designated "leader" of the Black people in America...those who claim that they are happen to be self appointed. We have the same "leaders" as the rest of any community.

And with that being said, it really baffles me when people (non-Black) take issue with something as simple as using Black History month to educate the minds of young Black Amercans (and others who care to learn about the accomplishments of our culture.

One of the ways to elevate the minds of the young Black population is to give them a true sense of the accomplishments of those who have come before. To show them that many Blacks succeeded even in the most dire circumstances.

If those people could overcome Jim Crow and fight against the many institutions where Blacks were not allowed then the children of today can do the same and much more.

Why is this such a threat to non-Black people?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:59 AM

921 posts, read 1,132,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Its racist.

Reason 1.
We have no asian, polish, german, irish, hispanic and indian history month.
Reason 2.
It is not called Great Americans month its called "BLACK" history month.
Its not about black, white, red, green and blue racists of which if you were to be fair and not RACIST you would not have just a black history month.
Reason3.
History lessons leave alot of details missing and who assisted those Black people, government, inventors, teachers and or any other color.

Those who say white history is the rest of the months is a joke and shows that typical racist comment and where you think a "balance" should be.
Sorry history is taught not just white history. It just so happens that in the history of this nation white people appear to be the major contributors when dealing with government etc.
If we want to continue to label people based on race I prefer just to call them by their NAME not a "white" person or black person.
So if your racist you can continue this nonsense of black history month and continue to put history in the realms of groups and race. I'm ready to call everyone Americans in the history of this nation black, white, asian etc. I think we as a nation who is promoting freedom for all races, sex and religion needs to see what signal your sending to our children. If you made a impact good or bad it can be discussed and your name not your color and your character are the history not your skin color.
Black History Month should never be ended.

It seems to be the only time that students learn about the black race, and the struggles & sufferings that came along.

This seems to be overlooked throughout the majority of the school year.

If they included more black history in the curriculum throughout the whole school year, then maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to discontinue spending one month concentrating on it.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:09 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Also, just to clarify something....there is no designated "leader" of the Black people in America...those who claim that they are happen to be self appointed. We have the same "leaders" as the rest of any community.

And with that being said, it really baffles me when people (non-Black) take issue with something as simple as using Black History month to educate the minds of young Black Amercans (and others who care to learn about the accomplishments of our culture.

One of the ways to elevate the minds of the young Black population is to give them a true sense of the accomplishments of those who have come before. To show them that many Blacks succeeded even in the most dire circumstances.

If those people could overcome Jim Crow and fight against the many institutions where Blacks were not allowed then the children of today can do the same and much more.

Why is this such a threat to non-Black people?
I am going to have to agree.

Although I am generally skeptical of many things that fall into the sphere of race relations, I can fully understand why Black History month came around. And its interesting. Harriet Tubman, MLK, Dr Charles Drew, Ralph Bunche, etc- they are all interesting.

Having said that, I would also agree with Morgan Freeman in that it is time for it ideally to merge with American history in general. BHM's inception was a product of its time. If you keep seperating it, the implication is that blacks have to explain or justify themselves or need special attention. The fact is they are great accomplishments and need no special category.

But I will let time take care of that. Until then, I enjoy reading Black History.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:10 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
please dont end it. rename it. white guilt month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies