Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:02 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Will this happen with termination of the broadcast license for RCTV, the only national TV network not controlled by or semi sympathetic with the national government?
You might want to fact-check that claim. It would be accurate to claim that RCTV was one of the only TV networks in Venezuela to fund and foment a military coup against the democratically elected government of that country, or to endorse, aid, and abet a general strike that for nearly a year crippled the country's economy, but the claim you made is inaccurate unless you are desperate enough to hide behind the technical claim that Globovision or any of the many other harshly anti-government outlets whose licenses were renewed lack the capacity to broadcast into every nook and cranny of the country as RCTV in theory could. Any aspect of lone-voice-has-been-silenced that you intended to put forward however is pure bunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
After seeing Chavez's act in the UN (you know, the Devil was here, still smell the sulfur etc) he behaved as strangely as Iran's leader did when he went into that religious trance-like state.
I thought Chavez's speech at the UN was a tactical error. He had given an actually better speech in the same vein a few days earlier at the non-aligned summit, and I thought that should have been enough to placate and reassure his natural audience, and in my mind at least, it would have been better for him to have addressed the developed audience from the UN stage. He can be a very convincing orator and when he puts his common man, Simon Bolivar boots on, he can become a very sympathetic character. Over the long haul, that strategy may have stood him in better stead than the one he actually chose. On a good night, he could have really upstaged Bush, dramatically raised his stock among developed audiences, and still maintained or increased his third world credentials. Maybe he had a cold or something and didn't feel up to pulling it off, but it could have been a masterstroke moment, and the chance for those doesn't come along every day.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
I have no knowledge of President Chavez' intentions, but even good intentions can go awry when provoked. However, he presented himself poorly by over reacting and did lose much credibility in his own community and on the world's stage.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Saganista - The spanish Oligarks of South America have been opressing and enslaving the people, particularily teh black and Indio people, for nearly 600 years, not 30. This is why the people of this area are electing people to really represent the masses of their populations. Fortunately for them the neocons and would be tryants in teh US have been a bit distracted by Iraq to overthrough these annoying democracies and reinstall properly behaving dictators. Except for Mexico.
Yes, I realize that, but in current Venezuelan domestic politics, The Oligarchy refers to the particular group that preceded Chavez for actually 28 years if I recall with results that were disastrous for everyone but The Oligarchy, and that currently owns all those anti-government broadcast outlets (along with most everything else) and is engaged in on-going attempts with tacit US support and approval to oust the democratically elected government. These various unstudied anti-Hugoists actually know little of Chavez except that he is characterized as being on the left and regularly crtiticizes the government of the US for some reason or other, and they know nothing of what the other side that they would hand things over to is really like. Being not-Chavez seems to be enough to satisfy them...

Well, the people got close in Mexico. Their guy likely won the election alright, he just didn't get elected.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:54 AM

Here's a most enlightening piece at fair.org with some facts that appear not to have appeared in the US press.

Coup Co-Conspirators as Free-Speech Martyrs

Old 05-29-2007, 11:12 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Here's a most enlightening piece at fair.org with some facts that appear not to have appeared in the US press.

Coup Co-Conspirators as Free-Speech Martyrs
That puts an interesting spin on it...

Question for Conservatives: If Al Gore attempted to overthrow Bush with his Global Warming Army Of Doom before the election, and succeeded for 3 days and ruled over the country with an iron fist of high CAFE Standards and 1 toilet paper a day regulations, and some major national radio station supported him in the revolution and acted as his mouthpiece, shouting "Down with carbon dioxide" from the speakers and encouraging uprisings throughout the country...

If Bush came back to power, would it then be a heinous act of censorship for the government to refuse to renew that station's license?

I'm not saying they should or that I would agree with it, but would it be dictatorial or totalitarian to do so?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:15 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
It's being reported that thousands of proteters in Caracas have taken to the streets in protest of free speech. They have been met with rubber bullets and troops have been sent in. Sounds like Mr. Chavez doesn't like defiant subjects.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:34 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
My Venezuelans friends and I discussed this this morning. Chavez will continue to do pretty much as he pleases. Venezuelans like the Cubans (this is based on my conversations and observations in discussions with both sides)-- they talk and complain, but no one will really do very much about the situation. Until a "leader" steps forward and overthrows/ousts Chevez, this will be the fate of Venezuelans.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:36 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Sounds like the police response to the World Trade Organization meeting a couple of years ago in Seattle, Washington, USA. Shooting, gassing, spraying, beating -gotta stop peaceful non-violent demonstrators before they change things and we get shoved off out gilded thrones. Yeah, our government are such saints.

WTO, IMF, CAFTA, NAFTA, SHAFTA - lot of what's wrong with the US economy is tied up with that alphabet soup.

In the meantime I protest our government's anti Chavez policies and propoganda by buying gasoline at a local Citgo station. Expensive choice because Citgo gas is about a dime cheaper than Exxon's.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:44 PM

That pretty much sums up politics in South America, jhlcomp!

Unfortunate, but true for the most part according to my SA friends as well. It is paternalism at its finest or worst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
My Venezuelans friends and I discussed this this morning. Chavez will continue to do pretty much as he pleases. Venezuelans like the Cubans (this is based on my conversations and observations in discussions with both sides)-- they talk and complain, but no one will really do very much about the situation. Until a "leader" steps forward and overthrows/ousts Chevez, this will be the fate of Venezuelans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies