Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:26 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The idea that you can separate the spiritual from the public square is pure leftwing fallacy. Certainly the left doesn't abide by that dichotomy. How often have we heard from leftist politicians that we are our brother's keeper. That's a purely moral precept taken straight out of Genesis. I don't see that enshrined in the Constitution. But liberals sanctimioniously trot out this trope whenever they want to bludgeon the taxpayer with another tax or tax increase. Here's another one for you: "He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone."
You realize that people can believe in moral things like that without a God telling them to, right?

I live my life by treat others how you would like to be treated... not because God or the Bible says so, but because that's how I personally feel. It has nothing to do with the Bible.

It really scares me that people thing you cannot live a good life treating others well unless it somehow relates to religion or the bible... btw, you know Buddhism and Hinduism have similar moral teachings... and have been around a lot longer than Christianity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I would be very curious of the "religious" people on the right. Are they really religious or are they just putting in their time at church every Sunday? Do they wear religion as a empty label or do they live a truly religious life? I think of myself as spiritual, but I live a much more "religious" life than most of the Christians that I know (according to the Bible).

If you truly believe, you should not go to Church like you would traffic school. Just putting in your time for appearance sake.
I absolutely agree. It's funny because we share a home town, and that's what many people do here right? Go through the motions without a thought. Not many on the left though, especially where we are.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 AM

I find the people that are truly religious and not just going through the motions, are the least judgmental and the least likely to try to force their views on others. My Grandmother is a devout Catholic who goes to church a few times a week, and never forces her religion on anyone. It seems the people who go because it's what they're "supposed" to do are the most judgmental ones.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:44 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
I bet it's simple arrogance. Some on the left view themselves as intelectually superior and can't accept the possibility of God or a higher power. In their mind, the world revolves around them. To each their own. It is a free country.

They should note, however, that much of their ideology is actually religious in nature. If we truly took God out of the equation and reverted to Darwinism many of them would have been killed off by the alpha-males a long time ago. All of the rights afforded in the Constitution are "god given" rights.

Does a baby seal have some inalienable right to life? If so, why do polar bears eat them? The entire notion that man is somehow a special animal is biblical. If one refutes God or the bible, he is left with the human animal. In nature, the strong survive.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
I bet it's simple arrogance. Some on the left view themselves as intelectually superior and can't accept the possibility of God or a higher power. In their mind, the world revolves around them. To each their own. It is a free country.

They should note, however, that much of their ideology is actually religious in nature. If we truly took God out of the equation and reverted to Darwinism many of them would have been killed off by the alpha-males a long time ago. All of the rights afforded in the Constitution are "god given" rights.

Does a baby seal have some inalienable right to life? If so, why do polar bears eat them? The entire notion that man is somehow a special animal is biblical. If one refutes God or the bible, he is left with the human animal. In nature, the strong survive.
It's not arrogance at all. IMO, it's arrogant to think that your religion (Christianity) is the end all be all that everyone lives by. FYI - the very tenets you speak of being from the bible were already being practiced LONG before there was a bible or a Jesus.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:54 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I am not religious. I was raised Catholic and oh, what a load of crap I found it to be once I was old enough to realize what they were teaching me. I have no issues with people who are religious and don't force it on others.

Personally to me, I believe in being a good person and helping others, because I believe that's the way to live, not because if I don't, I'm going to hell.

Honestly, people say there is a man in the sky that tells you what's right and what's wrong. To me that's crazy, but to each their own.

Just don't expect everyone else to live by YOUR religion.
No one has ever said anything about "a man in the sky that tells you what's right and what's wrong.".

Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No one has ever said anything about "a man in the sky that tells you what's right and what's wrong.".
I simplify, of course, but break it down and that's what it is to me. God is pretty much Santa. Be bad and God's gonna getcha. Be good and he'll reward you.

wait...

Santa is an anagram for...

Oh crap!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:09 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hey all,

As a left leaning--yet devout--evangelical christian, I find myself in a very small minority among right wing churchgoers and secular leftists, making me wonder why so many on the left are NOT religious. I'm not necessarily saying that it's bad, but I'm just curious.

Of course we could also ask why so many churchgoers are right wing, but this is aimed more at the liberals on this board. Well, I have to go to work, so I'll check back later. Thanks for responding.

mackinac
In my case, I've been burned by the Catholic church with its constant edicts against gays. I was born and raised in that church and was proud to be a catholic, but the constant criticism by the popes' messages caused me to strongly dislike the church, which obviously does not follow the messages of Jesus Christ to love thy neighbor. Churches are too meddlesome in affairs of the State. They pay ZERO taxes, steal Public $$ and actively try to influence every facet of American freedoms and liberties that are denied to gay and lesb americans. There have also been far too many of these "holy men" who have been found to be hypocrites. That is why I dislike the churches.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:23 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
In my case, I've been burned by the Catholic church with its constant edicts against gays. I was born and raised in that church and was proud to be a catholic, but the constant criticism by the popes' messages caused me to strongly dislike the church, which obviously does not follow the messages of Jesus Christ to love thy neighbor. Churches are too meddlesome in affairs of the State. They pay ZERO taxes, steal Public $$ and actively try to influence every facet of American freedoms and liberties that are denied to gay and lesb americans. There have also been far too many of these "holy men" who have been found to be hypocrites. That is why I dislike the churches.
In other words the Church didn't give you permission to do what you were determined to do in any case.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
In other words the Church didn't give you permission to do what you were determined to do in any case.
You should reread that post because that's not what the poster is saying in any way, shape, or form...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies