Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
what proof do you have that the evolutionary theory explains the origin of man
There is plenty of evidence, but first you would have to educate yourself on the subject. There is a lot to learn and like I said, it can't be taught in quick little snippets over a message board.

Behind all the arguing, I think that you are genuinely curious about the subject, even if you won't admit it.

Start with Darwin's "The Origin of Species" and then move on to more modern books on the subject. I think you'll enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 07:27 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
what proof do you have that the evolutionary theory explains the origin of man
Once you can prove something, it's no longer a theory. You learn that in school.

There is a huge amount of evidence that living things evolve and have evolved over time. You have internet access. Use it.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:12 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,217,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
The "debate" about evolution is societal. In the scientific community, there is no debate.
Funny you never hear anyone doubting the theory of gravity but for some reason evolution gets some people all stirred up.
So you can not prove the evolutionary theory is the origin of man.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Once you can prove something, it's no longer a theory. You learn that in school.

There is a huge amount of evidence that living things evolve and have evolved over time. You have internet access. Use it.
So you can not prove the origin of man by the eveolutionary theory

Old 02-25-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
There is plenty of evidence, but first you would have to educate yourself on the subject. There is a lot to learn and like I said, it can't be taught in quick little snippets over a message board.

Behind all the arguing, I think that you are genuinely curious about the subject, even if you won't admit it.

Start with Darwin's "The Origin of Species" and then move on to more modern books on the subject. I think you'll enjoy it.
I have read Darwin completely and there is no proof of the origin of man

Old 02-25-2010, 08:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
In the beginning there was nothing... then Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked that nothing in the face and said, "Get a job!". That's the story of the universe.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
The "debate" about evolution is societal. In the scientific community, there is no debate.
Funny you never hear anyone doubting the theory of gravity but for some reason evolution gets some people all stirred up.
You know what's interesting, I grew up in the "3rd world", and never met or heard of anyone who believed in creationism in my formative years. My family was agnostic, but we knew a lot of Christians, our neighbors were missionaries who ran a Christain school, and the public schools were Christian based, and the overwhelming sentiment was that evolution was a documented fact, and that the bible told the story of evolution so that it was easily understood. Fast forward to living in the US, talk about a culture shock! I honestly had no idea people really believed this fable as fact.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You know what's interesting, I grew up in the "3rd world", and never met or heard of anyone who believed in creationism in my formative years. My family was agnostic, but we knew a lot of Christians, our neighbors were missionaries who ran a Christain school, and the public schools were Christian based, and the overwhelming sentiment was that evolution was a documented fact, and that the bible told the story of evolution so that it was easily understood. Fast forward to living in the US, talk about a culture shock! I honestly had no idea people really believed this fable as fact.
Please prove to me then that the evolutionary theory proves as a fact the origin of man

Old 02-25-2010, 08:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Here are the postitions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America on choice, stem-cell research, separation of church and state, and gay marriage. These are church-wide positions. Of course, individual members may have their own opinions. The gays in the ministry position has been somewhat divisive since it was adopted last summer. Some have left the church, but the church stands by its position.

Abortion - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

This church recognizes that there can be sound reasons for ending a pregnancy through induced abortion.

Ask a Scientist - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

See #6

Church and State A Series of Statements of the United Lutheran Church in America - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

A hisorical perspective of separation of church and state

Policies and Procedures - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Current postition:

Work with civil authorities in areas of mutual endeavor, maintaining institutional separation of church and state in a relation of functional interaction (ELCA 4.03.n.).

ELCA Assembly Opens Ministry to Partnered Gay and Lesbian Lutherans - News Releases - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

In matters of separation of church and state, most protestant denominations are firmly in favor of it.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
See #5 re: evolution.

Ask a Scientist - Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Except among the most fundamentalist Christians, belief in evolution is a non-issue. Even in that group, I'm sure there are some who believe in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies