Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times

Advertisements

In his SOTU speech Obama said that climate change science is beyond dispute. Oh, really? Even before climategate it was shown that Michael Mann's famous hockey stick graph that purportedly showed a direct link between global temperatures and so-called greenhouse gases was the product of fudging the historical climate record. Climategate has subsequently confirmed the dishonesty of some climate change scientists. In light of this chicanery what does prudence dictate?

Assume a used car salesman has convinced you to buy a particular car. You ask for the CARFAX and, after much hemming and hawing, he finally produces it. It shows that the car is a lemon and the sales pitch was essentially all lies. What do you do? A prudent person would say that these people are disreputable and go elsewhere. Why? Because he know now that he can't rely on any representation the sales staff may make about their cars. At the very least he would, in addition to asking for the CARFAX up front, insist upon taking the car to an independent mechanic so he can could go over the car with a fine-toothed comb.

Prudence. That's a virtue that apparently the President and the climate change sheeple don't possess. Having been burned by the premier climate scientists like Jones and Mann they are still willing to suspend disbelief and move forward with the purchase of a potential clunker. Breathtaking, and dangerous, gullibility is what I call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 10:19 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
If I thought for a minute that you knew the business end of a multiple regression, I might take this thread seriously.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:21 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If I thought for a minute that you knew the business end of a multiple regression, I might take this thread seriously.

man cannot do as much to climate change as the sun all by itself.

when someone lies about something, you tend not to believe any of it.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
when someone lies about something, you tend not to believe any of it.
Who is this "you" that you speak of?

Of course I can understand the emotional appeal for discarding a body of scholarly work based upon the loss of credibility of one of the contributors when one is emotionally invested in disbelieving the conclusions. Of course that is more than a bit penny-wise and pound foolish. But not surprising.

(I will stipulate to the existence of the lie rather than debate the accuracy of the assertion, in order to move the conversation along)

Old 02-06-2010, 11:05 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Who is this "you" that you speak of?

Of course I can understand the emotional appeal for discarding a body of scholarly work based upon the loss of credibility of one of the contributors when one is emotionally invested in disbelieving the conclusions. Of course that is more than a bit penny-wise and pound foolish. But not surprising.

(I will stipulate to the existence of the lie rather than debate the accuracy of the assertion, in order to move the conversation along)

remember that little court case in the 90's called the OJ trial?

now remember the detective named mark furman?

well, do you also remember that he lied duing the OJ trial?

well, because he lied and got caught at it mean that all of his testimony was suspect, and therefore not believed and oj got away with muder.

same thing here, when you lie and get caught at it, alot of people will make the science of global warming suspect and not believe any of it at all.

how about showing me some science from people who are not receiving any goverment monies at all, and are not operating on grants at all.

please also include all the scientists that dispute global warming.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:18 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,049,927 times
Hell yeah, I mean looking at past events to predict the future is just flawed witchcraft. That and theories, if they don't know it by being smart why must they experiment and build observations? All those "Trials" and "Experiments" and "Data" aren't real facts.

/sarcasm

Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
remember that little court case in the 90's called the OJ trial?

now remember the detective named mark furman?

well, do you also remember that he lied duing the OJ trial?

well, because he lied and got caught at it mean that all of his testimony was suspect, and therefore not believed and oj got away with muder.
Good analogy, wrong conclusion.

Using your logic, Furman lied, ergo; any testimony by any LAPD detective must lack credibility in all murder trials. That is a logical fallacy.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:31 AM

1,133 posts, read 712,144 times
There is 22 inches of snow out my window now that hasn't been there since 1922. When do you think this global warming thing is going to kkkkkiiicck in?

Old 02-06-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
There is 22 inches of snow out my window now that hasn't been there since 1922. When do you think this global warming thing is going to kkkkkiiicck in?
Perhaps when you learn the difference between weather and climate.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:41 AM

54 posts, read 62,703 times
For some reason and i don't know why people act like there was a *BOOM* and the Earth just appeared America was here Africa was there Australia was down there and the Earth has always been the way it has been. There was never an Ice Age there was never supercontinents it's just always been the way it's been.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd7M4Hqwdbg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies