Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:25 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,418,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I have several students each year who tell me their parents lie on the Free And Reduced Meal form.
Ok, I'm getting it now....it's the people with jobs and income -- employed, maybe middle class -- who are the welfare cheats, not the poor. Ahhhh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 03:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
No. It isn't simple. See my post above for a deeper explanation of why I don't think it will help.
Really, it is that simple.
Excuses and reasons why you don't report cheaters = complicity.

Make any excuses you choose.
Don't complain unless you plan to take action to correct the measures.

Excuses are only excuses.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:37 PM

1,133 posts, read 711,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I know of 5 people in my city.

The way I look at it is like this. I am subject to have to take a urine test to keep my job so that I can provide tax dollars to give these people their vital heat, food, clothing and shelter. If I have to take a drug test to protect my right to work to provide these people their sustenance. Should't they have to take a drug test in order to receive that assistance? Hmmmm?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
The way I look at it is like this. I am subject to have to take a urine test to keep my job so that I can provide tax dollars to give these people their vital heat, food, clothing and shelter. If I have to take a drug test to protect my right to work to provide these people their sustenance. Should't they have to take a drug test in order to receive that assistance? Hmmmm?
I don't have to take a drug test for my job. Never did. They can have the money I pay in taxes. On the other hand, I don't like the money going to private military contractors or those who pad their invoices to the government. You can pay my share of that.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:44 PM

621 posts, read 1,052,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Really, it is that simple.
Excuses and reasons why you don't report cheaters = complicity.

Make any excuses you choose.
Don't complain unless you plan to take action to correct the measures.

Excuses are only excuses.

The system is more of the problem than the abusers, and reporting the cheats doesn't correct the problem nor does it keep it from recurring. It actually adds to it. By my reporting them, the possibility of children going to the foster care system increases and will wind up innocent victims of yet another broken end of the same system.

In my "crime" of turning the other cheek, I create NONE of these victims. I'm not saying that I would ignore a gross theft or a huge corrupt chain of cheats. What I'm saying is that reporting the people I know that cheat the system will do no real good, harm my soul, and potentially harm the lives of innocent people.

I feel the system needs to be corrected at its CORE, in MY opinion, to do the most good for everyone.

However, there may be no use in discussing this any further with you, since you obviously have a litigious mindset that I can't relate to.

Ever hear the story told about the mouse and the elephant? It's a story with the intent to illustrate the folly of focusing on the wrong problem. I'll Google for a while and post it when I get a chance.

Last edited by Robinstyler; 02-07-2010 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: clarity and punctuation

Old 02-07-2010, 03:44 PM

1,133 posts, read 711,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
I don't have to take a drug test for my job. Never did. They can have the money I pay in taxes. On the other hand, I don't like the money going to private military contractors or those who pad their invoices to the government. You can pay my share of that.
O.K. I see where you stand so you support druggies on welfare getting your tax money.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:45 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,677,650 times
I suppose this question has already been asked, but, how are we defining welfare? Is WIC welfare, Food Stamps, housing, daycare, Social Security, or just cash benefits. I am just not sure how to define this What about the Healthy Kids program?

Old 02-07-2010, 03:51 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,677,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The real issue is that so many of us DO get some kind of government check, yet we're all enthusiastic about cutting off someone elses.' After all, we DESERVE ours...right?

I very much agree with you. Why is it that WE always deserve something we always "KNOW" somebody that shouldn't be getting a check when truth be told we probably truly don't know that for sure

Old 02-07-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
O.K. I see where you stand so you support druggies on welfare getting your tax money.
Whatever. I'm just not one of those who thinks everyone on welfare is a lazy-assed cheat who could work if s/he wanted to. If that means that some people who use drugs get welfare, so be it. The idea of paying for drug testing without any clear idea of what happens to kids when parents are kicked off -- pour more money than you save into a failed foster care system to handle all the kids whose parents fail one drug test even if they themselves didn't buy the drugs? -- is insane to me.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:12 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,944,303 times
What is the point of this thread? Yes there are welfare cheats and there are cheats everywhere. Personally, I don't focus on the cheats and understand that the reason for welfare is to help people get on their feet. No one can legally receive welfare for more than two consecutive years and five years in a lifetime and they require people to look for jobs. If you know someone that cheats, report them. Businesses cheat their empolyees sometimes and some cheat on their taxes. Sometimes people lie about the tips they make so they don't have to pay taxes for them. Then we have people who embezzle, insurance companies who cut people off of their health insurance, businesses who take bailouts and use them for spa treatments and private jets and the list goes on. It just seems that the right is always attacking the little people but lets the rich and big business literally get away with murder. I don't get the point here. We know there are cheaters, does this mean that welfare shoudn't exist? In my opinion, the answer would be no. The cheaters should be punished. This is why there are rules and regulations and without them whether we are referring to poor people or large corporations, people are more likely to get away with taking advantage of the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies