Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:54 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
thanks...I thought it was a alaskan dialect.....its just so unique..
Heavens no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 09:57 AM

1,133 posts, read 712,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Nope. And I've met her parents and neither one have a hint of a twang. Its all contrived to appeal to her "anti-elitist" base. It's almost like she's mocking them and they're eating it up while she laughs all the way to the bank.
Would that be anything like Hillary Clinton appearing in Paducah, Ky. with little zingers like "ya'll study up" , condescending yankee bit.. At least she isn't insulting their intelligence.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
would that be anything like hillary clinton appearing in paducah, ky. With little zingers like "ya'll study up" , condescending yankee bit.. at least she isn't insulting their intelligence.
lol.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
lol.
Yea...well...bring it on b.m.o

Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Would that be anything like Hillary Clinton appearing in Paducah, Ky. with little zingers like "ya'll study up" , condescending yankee bit.. At least she isn't insulting their intelligence.
Hillary Clinton lived in the south for a big part of her life. I find when I live in the south or even go on a trip that I slip back into what little of the speech southern speech pattern I picked up. I suspect Clinton does the same thing. Even living in PA I use "y'all" or "you all" on a regular basis. I never use "yous" which is a common speech pattern here.

Compare that to Palin who never lived in an area where that speech pattern is common. It's not Alaska and not Idaho. It's not here parents' speech. And from what Metlakatla said, it wasn't always there. It's sounds like an affectation. Perhaps the same can be said of Clinton's -- and my -- use of "y'all" but we came by it honestly.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Hillary Clinton lived in the south for a big part of her life. I find when I live in the south or even go on a trip that I slip back into what little of the speech southern speech pattern I picked up. I suspect Clinton does the same thing. Even living in PA I use "y'all" or "you all" on a regular basis. I never use "yous" which is a common speech pattern here.

Compare that to Palin who never lived in an area where that speech pattern is common. It's not Alaska and not Idaho. It's not here parents' speech. And from what Metlakatla said, it wasn't always there. It's sounds like an affectation. Perhaps the same can be said of Clinton's -- and my -- use of "y'all" but we came by it honestly.
Come on Sagran says who, you are making assumtions that wouldn't hold up in the Attorney Generals court. You are imposing a false accusation because you clearly don't like Palin. ONe thing for sure, the mannerisms may be contrived, though I doubt it because I honestly think she is a bit of a bush personality for real, thaty accent is purely nothestn or northern border state. There is nothing south of the mason dixon that sounds remotely like that unless it is a transplant, trust me.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Wasilla isn't the bush.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:08 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Come on Sagran says who, you are making assumtions that wouldn't hold up in the Attorney Generals court.
...which I am entitled to do. Why would I be held to the standards of a court?
Quote:
You are imposing a false accusation because you clearly don't like Palin. ONe thing for sure, the mannerisms may be contrived, though I doubt it because I honestly think she is a bit of a bush personality for real, thaty accent is purely nothestn or northern border state. There is nothing south of the mason dixon that sounds remotely like that unless it is a transplant, trust me.
That certainly isn't "nothestn" (if by that you mean "northeastern") and no one else I know from the northern tier speaks that way, including -- according to Metlakatla who spoke to them -- her parents. But then, you should know my mind better than I what I think and you've lived all over the country with friends/acquaintances/business associates who live all over the country, so you should have more experiences with accents than I. Who am I to argue?

Wasilla is a bedroom community for Anchorage and the North Slope.

**Sagran waits patiently for Atilla to say that Sagran is wrong**

Old 02-07-2010, 12:39 PM

Caucasian culture in Alaska simply hasn't been around long enough for the people to have developed any sort of regional accent, "bush" or otherwise.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
...which I am entitled to do. Why would I be held to the standards of a court?

That certainly isn't "nothestn" (if by that you mean "northeastern") and no one else I know from the northern tier speaks that way, including -- according to Metlakatla who spoke to them -- her parents. But then, you should know my mind better than I what I think and you've lived all over the country with friends/acquaintances/business associates who live all over the country, so you should have more experiences with accents than I. Who am I to argue?

Wasilla is a bedroom community for Anchorage and the North Slope.

**Sagran waits patiently for Atilla to say that Sagran is wrong**
First, let me say, sorry to keep you waiting. I type about as fast as I tghink so I am not going to mess with any of you people regards my typoes. Sometimes I correct and sometimes I let it go but thanks for the correction. I spent about a year in B.C. as a younger man. I consider myself pretty good with that sort of thing as I have been able to guess a lot of folks having served in the Navy and lived a lot of places. I don't know thme all but I know one thing for sure, it sure as hell ain't southern. Way closer to Canadian or northern tier U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies