Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 05:43 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,673,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My aren't we judgemental for being so young??

Of course most of us have trouble understanding the way some young people think, but you are not talking about 12 or 15 year olds, you are talking about young adults, in their early 20s. These girls should be able to support them, if not, no I do not want to either, but just because kids do not fit into your lifestyle at this time, doesn't mean they do not fit into someones elses. Have these same young ladies gotten on Facebook and said the daddys do not support them or that they are on government assistance?

Nita
I agree with Nita on this one (although no need to bring government assistance politics into it since that was never mentioned and most don't even consider doing that). I'm kind of shocked at the universal outrage on this thread over 20-22 year olds having kids.

Hate to break it to you, theliberalvoice, but you're not that young anymore. I understand the cultural norms of career and such, but why are people upset about adults reproducing when their bodies are best able to handle it? When else should they? When risk of complications increase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,937,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Yeah, thats right.

I graudated from high school like 3 or 4 years ago. On my Facebook account, I know of not one or two or three but SIX girls who now have kids. WHAT about your future? WHAT about school? WHAT about the childs future?

It makes me sick. What are you in a rush for? NONE of them work. NONE of their boyfriends (no long gone-of course) pay support. Who is footing their bill? US.

And then they post pictures on there all proud. Yay! I am 16 and going to be a mommy! No, I am not joking. THAT is what they write.

Someone asked them what they are proud of and they get all angry saying "OMG DONT QUESTION ME! YOU DONT KNOW OK? I AM PROUD TO BE A YOUNG MOM!"

NONE OF YOU are married or even if you choose not to be married-you dont have any stability! Now what about the kids. Geez. I wonder how they will turn out.

I am SICK of this. Anyone else think that this "young girl being a mommy thing is cute" is STUPID?!

Sometimes I feel STUPID for NOT having a kid at 16.
Like Sanrene said, at last, something I can agree with you on. I think it's sick and they shouldn't be proud.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:50 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,198,451 times
Quote:
Hah ****. That is still HORRIBLE though.

WTF IS WRONG WITH MY GENERATION?!?!

Finally. HAH!
Your girl seems smart. Most boys are bad news. LOL!
I would never condemn your entire generation based on the actions of a few. In general i find yoru generation full of life. I think you are strong minded and will need to be as the country is divided by so many lines.
We are divided by age, by wealth, color, sex and morals.
You will need your fiesty attitude as a generation to thrive

Old 02-09-2010, 06:24 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,673,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Like Sanrene said, at last, something I can agree with you on. I think it's sick and they shouldn't be proud.
Perhaps you could clarify - what is sick about 20-22 year old women having children?

If you, like Sanrene, are a strong conservative, that is the predominant age range that many traditionally raised people start having children. It's those crazy liberals who build careers and wait until they are in their late twenties or thirties.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:29 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,638,444 times
Quote:
Hah ****. That is still HORRIBLE though.

WTF IS WRONG WITH MY GENERATION?!?!

Finally. HAH!
Your girl seems smart. Most boys are bad news. LOL!
well .. as an old fart with kids under the age of 10, I see kids marketed to with tv shows like Hannah Montana, ICarly, and even cartoons where the characters have boyfriends and then you have shows that glamorize teen motherhood and certain political candidates who's knocked up daughters are supposed to be applauded and futher glamorized ... and then there are those slutty bratz dolls .. ugh!!!! and then go into any mainstream store ... the clothes are provocative and all too grown up. I have a heck of a time finding just regular little girl clothes for my girls ... everything is glittering/scarvy/cut to there ... thank heaven for Hanna Anderssen clothes.

when most of us were growing up, we didn't have 24 hour tween show networks, the internet with all it's bells and whistles ... heck, no cell phones/texting/sexting ... there are far too many modes of unsupervised or unsupervisable media ... when I was growing up, you were supercool if you had a phone in your room, much less your own tv ... but the phone wasn't a dedicated line ... mom and dad could listen in at any time and cable was a new fangled thing.

your generation is truly a media generation, and unfortunately, since most of you youn-uns grew up with all this technology and instant gratification, you don't need to wait or work for anything and even choices, bad choices even, are glorified.

And as for your FB "friends" who are proud to be teenage mothers ... well, we'll see how proud they are when they are approaching 30 years old and they realized that they pi$$ed their youth away for a little instant gratification. And again, what are they supposed to say ... "oh man, this like totally sucks" ... no, they are embracing their motherhood because THEY HAVE TO ... they have no choice. You should ask them ... "hey, do you think I should have a baby too, you make it sound like it's a great thing to have a baby" ... see what they say.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:48 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,623,251 times
Considering how young many women are when they first become fertile I am surprised there are so few teen age pregnancies. The problem is not teen sexual activity and pregnancy it is that babies are no longer a necessity but have become a luxury. In the bad old days when infant mortality was very high many babies were required to assure the parents would have some one to take care of them when the parents became elderly. Babies and children were valuable.

Do any of you remember just how important sex, real or fantasized, was to you when you were teens? It can pretty much dominate your life. That is biology in action. Sex can be enjoyable because humans are set up to create children. These kids are just human beings doing what their bodies are telling them to do.

IMHO the girls and their children should be cared for by the fathers and, when the dad is not available, their families. Children are valuable and should not be punished because their biological parents gave in to their preprogrammed urges to have sex and children. Providing this aid may be expensive but is way cheaper and more satisfying than any foreign war.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 AM

628 posts, read 2,039,777 times
Some of the posters above need to read through the whole thread--the OP is talking about girls who when she was in high school had children and her sisters friends who are in high school having children--not about 22 year olds (even though personally I find that far too young).

GregW- Why should someone's parents have to take care of their grandkids? There are far too many people who have had to throw away their retirement (or ability to retire) due to this issue and it makes me sick. Secondly not many children truly help their parents in old age (I speak from experience with a mother in a nursing home--it's truely sickening how people can't even bother to come visit their ailing parents). In the end we have free choice and are not simply animals who cannot control our urges--...

Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,819,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
well .. as an old fart with kids under the age of 10, I see kids marketed to with tv shows like Hannah Montana, ICarly, and even cartoons where the characters have boyfriends and then you have shows that glamorize teen motherhood and certain political candidates who's knocked up daughters are supposed to be applauded and futher glamorized ....
I've sat through perhaps a hundred Hannah and ICarly episodes and see virtually nothing inappropriate for young kids. And if teen motherhood is glamorized in any type of adult setting, you're hanging with the wrong adults.

No doubt there is some weird sub-set of young girls who desire to get preg but honestly, that is somewhat alien to my environment -- and is really the OP's original point. The problem I see is the natural desire for intimacy and exploration that is immaturely attained sexually -- without appropriate medical knowledge or the grasping of possible impacts. Solution? Ensure your kid has the facts and a personal respect for their own bodies.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:45 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,638,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
I've sat through perhaps a hundred Hannah and ICarly episodes and see virtually nothing inappropriate for young kids. And if teen motherhood is glamorized in any type of adult setting, you're hanging with the wrong adults.

No doubt there is some weird sub-set of young girls who desire to get preg but honestly, that is somewhat alien to my environment -- and is really the OP's original point. The problem I see is the natural desire for intimacy and exploration that is immaturely attained sexually -- without appropriate medical knowledge or the grasping of possible impacts. Solution? Ensure your kid has the facts and a personal respect for their own bodies.
I disagree. It's the overt sexual tension that's portrayed on those shows that I object to. It's kids acting and dressing mature beyond their years in these shows ... the under 10 set doesn't need to watch and take their fashion or behavior cues from these shows.

I'm not sure what you mean with regard to my hanging with the wrong adults. I have conversations with my other mom friends and we feel the same way. We want our kids to be kids, not mini adults.

I agree with you with regard to personal respect, but sometimes I feel like I'm batting all these sexual tennis balls being thrown at my kids from all the media available to them.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:29 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,974,239 times
Quote:
Dang. I forgot all about this thread.

Thank God I am NEVER having kids.
Never say never ... I predict that ten years from now there will be several little Liberal Voices running amok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies