Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 12:03 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,823,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The program in our school district put out a great deal of blatantly false information which could be easily rebutted by accessing info from the CDC, which my daughter did.
She presented her findings to the instructor, who threatened to suspend her.
I had to go to the school board to get the whole mess straightened out.
They are still teaching the same curriculum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 12:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,248,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I am SICK of this. Anyone else think that this "young girl being a mommy thing is cute" is STUPID?!

Sometimes I feel STUPID for NOT having a kid at 16.
Maybe these kids should have a psychologists come in to review their mental stability and maturity as it relates to raising a child.
If they don't have what it takes, let the grand parents have the option of taking the baby or make the baby go up for adoption.

I don't see how any girl stupid enough to think 16 and pregnant is OK is possibly understanding the obstacles she herself makes to the child's normal development in a developed country like the USA.

I can see if this is Mexico where the 14 year olds are dragged by a boy to a house and made their woman through abduction. In those cases a child would be lucky to make it to adulthood, but THAT is Mexico and we are NOT Mexico.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:14 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,636,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
New Study Says 'Abstinence Only' Works - ABC News

That's a very common thought among young women it seems. If I have a baby then my man will stay with me forever! Newsflash young girls, boys don't think like you do, and vice versa. Then the 16 year old girl says she hates boys because boys are mean and convinces herself that she's bi or lesbian.
I know! It disgusts me how many girls think this way!! Why can't they get it through their thick skulls that most HS boys are after sex only!?

Nice article Btw! The way they taught abstinence was actually very intelligent. They tell them about the consequences if they were to engage in these behaviors.

Last edited by CancerianMoonPrincess; 09-11-2011 at 12:31 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 12:17 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,065,245 times
While no, it isnt something young girls should strive for, or even be proud of, it still don't mean that they will not end up having a good life for them and for their children.

23,410 posts, read 36,823,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
I know! It disgusts me how many girls think this way!! Why can't they get it through their thick skulls that most HS boys are after sex only!?
Fairy tales, Disney, happily ever after.
Brainwashed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Maybe these kids should have a psychologists come in to review their mental stability and maturity as it relates to raising a child.
If they don't have what it takes, let the grand parents have the option of taking the baby or make the baby go up for adoption.

I don't see how any girl stupid enough to think 16 and pregnant is OK is possibly understanding the obstacles she herself makes to the child's normal development in a developed country like the USA.

I can see if this is Mexico where the 14 year olds are dragged by a boy to a house and made their woman through abduction. In those cases a child would be lucky to make it to adulthood, but THAT is Mexico and we are NOT Mexico.
This

Old 09-11-2011, 12:18 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,262,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
They're having them at 14 and under too! Their families probably didn't give them proper sex education.
I don't think lack of sex education is the only problem. I don't think young people are being taught to value themselves, set goals, and to love themselves as they are so they have a hard time feeling fulfilled. They think having a baby will change all that. These girls are also seeing the glorification of single motherhood in the entertainment business and mistakenly think that motherhood will give them a level of attention they seek and aren't getting in their lives. And it does work for awhile in a sick, twisted sort of way. They are pregnant and everyone around them reacts, they are the center of attention. Then reality sinks in and they become another statistic---uneducated, poor and living with limited choices to change that.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Fairy tales, Disney, happily ever after.
Brainwashed....
Yep! At least we agree here!

Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I don't think lack of sex education is the only problem. I don't think young people are being taught to value themselves, set goals, and to love themselves as they are so they have a hard time feeling fulfilled. They think having a baby will change all that. These girls are also seeing the glorification of single motherhood in the entertainment business and mistakenly think that motherhood will give them a level of attention they seek and aren't getting in their lives. And it does work for awhile in a sick, twisted sort of way. They are pregnant and everyone around them reacts, they are the center of attention. Then reality sinks in and they become another statistic---uneducated, poor and living with limited choices to change that.
Yep. This. Bed. Made. Lie.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,426,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I don't think lack of sex education is the only problem. I don't think young people are being taught to value themselves, set goals, and to love themselves as they are so they have a hard time feeling fulfilled. These girls are also seeing the glorification of single motherhood in the entertainment business and mistakenly think that motherhood will give them a level of attention they seek and aren't getting in their lives. And it does work for awhile in a sick, twisted sort of way. They are pregnant and everyone around them reacts, they are the center of attention. Then reality sinks in and they become another statistic---uneducated, poor and living with limited choices to change that.
Yes, these girls know more about sex than any generation of girls before them, they are bombarded with sex and sex education, it's not as though they don't know about sex, they certainly do, and they know it's having sex that gets them pregnant, pregnant gets them a baby, and a baby gets them a life of leisure, food stamps, WIC, government housing, and much much more. There's no downside in their minds. To them not having a baby and having to work for a living is the foolish route to take.

It's incredibly naive to believe these girls didn't have a clue how they came to be pregnant and that explaining the birds and the bees and showing them how to apply condoms is going to take care of everything.

The problem is the government rewards this behavior, there's no reason for these young girls not to think it's cute to have babies at 16, the government will provide very nicely for them if they do, if they don't have babies at age 16, then they have to study, finish school, get jobs and no glamour in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies