Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times

Advertisements

Our BCBS is only going up 26%.

Everything is going up! I guess none of these increases in food, utilities, health insurance have anything to do with the cost of living according to the letter my husband received from SS. SS determined there was no increase in the cost of living so there will be no COL increases for SS recepients. I wonder how much the cost of his Medicare will go up this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Is that something to be happy about? What is the rate of inflation in your community? Less, by far, I'd wager.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:58 AM

272 posts, read 295,640 times
I don't think Okiegirlfriend was happy about it. She was saying all these things are going up but people collecting social security aren't getting a cost of living increase even those she has BCBS food, utility increases.
I think the problem in our country with the two divides is people who are buying individual policy first are charged more. Also they are very aware of the cost increase where people who have employer based insurance don't see the big cost increases. Employers see it. Even when the employee has to contribute it isn't the $900 plus the increase of $100 it's just the $100. Individuals have been feeling it for a while. Now small business. When it hits big business and when that $100 or $200 increase for an employee starts hitting $800 to $1000 because insurance companies are losing their individual buyers and small business buyers and we know they need to keep their profits up there then and only then will the divide change. Then they will be as angry as we (the individual buyer, small business buyer, pre-existing buyer) and the new "we" will be doing without insurance but our tax payer dollars will still be paying for insurance for those in gov't. Then maybe there will be reform probably not because it will be up those in gov't to do something and give up something and we know how that works they are very good at looking out for themselves.... cadillac health insurance for life even if they only had one term in office.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:08 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Is that something to be happy about? What is the rate of inflation in your community? Less, by far, I'd wager.
I'd consider a 26% increase VERY HIGH as well.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post

Everything is going up! I guess none of these increases in food, utilities, health insurance have anything to do with the cost of living according to the letter my husband received from SS. SS determined there was no increase in the cost of living so there will be no COL increases for SS recepients. I wonder how much the cost of his Medicare will go up this year!
Medicare is not increasing this year

Old 02-11-2010, 08:13 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
I am reading this book titled Save Big: Cut Your Top 5 Costs and Save Thousands.

I would check and see if your local library has a copy. I found the info on health care to be the most helpful.

This is mainly for those who have an individual plan.
If any of you are part of an alumni association for your college or university, try to see if they offer a health plan. Some do.

AARP. If you're over 50 they offer health insurance. I'm not sure how affordable it may be but it's worth looking into.

If you're a small business owner, sometimes the Chamber of Commerce offers health insurance to their members.

Some states let people form their own health insurance group; sometimes as few as two people. Check with your state insurance commissioner to see if this is possible. Go to National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) for links to every state insurance commissioner. This is a good idea if you and the other people are relatively healthy.

Some credit card companies offer health insurance. Farm bureaus offer health insurance to members and you don't have to be a farmer to join.
Trade associations sometimes offer health insurance too.

I hope this helps some of you.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:14 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I am reading this book titled Save Big: Cut Your Top 5 Costs and Save Thousands.

I would check and see if your local library has a copy. I found the info on health care to be the most helpful.

If any of you are part of an alumni association for your college or university, try to see if they offer a health plan. Some do.

AARP. If you're over 50 they offer health insurance. I'm not sure how affordable it may be but it's worth looking into.

If you're a small business owner, sometimes the Chamber of Commerce offers health insurance to their members.

Some states let people form their own health insurance group; sometimes as few as two people. Check with your state insurance commissioner to see if this is possible. Go to National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) for links to every state insurance commissioner. This is a good idea if you and the other people are relatively healthy.

Some credit card companies offer health insurance. Farm bureaus offer health insurance to members and you don't have to be a farmer to join.

Good information. Thank you.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
PurpleLove08,

AARP only has Supplemental and Long Term Insurance plans for people who are on Medicare.

I'm pretty sure that my friend said that their Supplemental Insurance is underwritten by Anthem BCBS.

People over 50 are the ones who will be hurt the most by these increases.

For them, it's either pay the increase or be uninsured.

Last edited by World Citizen; 02-11-2010 at 08:50 AM..

Old 02-11-2010, 08:50 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

Now, there is some great information - Kudos!

Old 02-11-2010, 02:05 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Another option is to seek medical care, whenever possible, outside of the US, where prices can be dramatically lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies