Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:58 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Our fellow posters are not too bright. I suppose they've never h eard of the Ainu, the indigenous people of Japan. They are more like australian aborigines than Asian people, yet are the natives. But they are Japanese.

Didn't you just call Portuguese people Hispanic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 01:58 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Tell that to the dirt poor whites of apallachia that cannot apply for this scholarship.
Well, nobody cares about the 25 million or so poor whites. They are the recipients of white privilege, you see, and if they can't make it, it's their fault of course.

The Gates foundation is not a cultural interest group. It is poor judgment for them to exclude poor whites, who often have to fight both the established white elite to get a foothold, and an uncaring greater American society, who view them as the oppressor with as much culpability as the elite, and, therefore, undeserving of help.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
So? Does that make that so?

Do you not consider Pakistani British people to be British?
A Pakistani Brit knows that they are not of Anglo-Saxon ancestry. British is their nationality not their ancestry or descent.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:00 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, nobody cares about the 25 million or so poor whites. They are the recipients of white privilege, you see, and if they can't make it, it's their fault of course.

The Gates foundation is not a cultural interest group. It is poor judgment for them to exclude poor whites, who often have to fight both the established white elite to get a foothold, and an uncaring greater American society, who view them as the oppressor with as much culpability as the elite, and, therefore, undeserving of help.
i think he is entirely within his rights to not care about poor whites and i am entirely within my rights not to buy any more of his products, which i do not.

long live apple!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:01 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
The scholarships are racially discriminatory, I don't think anyone is questioning that. They are funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which in turn generated the bulk of it's income due to the success of Microsoft. The fact that Mr. Gates is choosing to support a discriminatory program such at this is certainly newsworthy. I have no reason to believe it is not perfectly legal however.

People that choose to support Microsoft via the purchase of it's products have a right to know of this and factor it into their purchasing decisions.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:02 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
It just should be supporting any poor student who can't afford College.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:02 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,244 times
You do realize that they have scholarships specifically for people in Appallachia?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Tell that to the dirt poor whites of apallachia that cannot apply for this scholarship.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:03 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Because they were born in South America. Yes, I know... they are still white. That's just a grey area. That's not what Bill Gates meant.

Well, then that's something FL isn't right about.
It's not a grey area, it's nonsensical. Gepgraphy does not dictate whether you are a minority.

A black French guy does not get "non minority" status just because he was born in Europe, and a white French descent person should not be considered a minority because his parents moved to Bolivia before he was born.

Since "Hispanic" is not a racial designation, and merely a cultural (barely an ethnic) desgnation, then why would Spaniards NOT be part of the minority? If a white Cuban, a white Bolivian, and a white Argentinian are standing next to a white Spaniard, how will you be able to tell? Isn't the "visibility" of the minority supposedly that which causes them trouble and hardship in the greater "evil" American society?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:04 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faygo42 View Post
I know the difference. Give me a PERCENTAGE of Italian Americans, Polish Americans, Swedish Americans, and etc that are black that would fit the scholarships that calipoppy listed.
That isn't the point. You are trying to deflect now to semantics since your argument hit the floor.

If the United Negro College Fund was called the United Sierra Leon College Fund... I would have no issue. All of those who obtained the scholarship in that term would be black as well... and I would be fine with that.

The exclusion of some ethnicities is where the problem is. I could care less that all of the scholarships from this organization go to blacks... good for them, what I take offense to is the blatent racism. Its that double standard reverse discrimination that I think is harmful to our very diverse country.

You can't claim to be against racism and then support racist organizations. Its a conflict, its hypocrisy.

Thats my only point.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:05 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It's not a grey area, it's nonsensical. Gepgraphy does not dictate whether you are a minority.

A black French guy does not get "non minority" status just because he was born in Europe, and a white French descent person should not be considered a minority because his parents moved to Bolivia before he was born.

Since "Hispanic" is not a racial designation, and merely a cultural (barely an ethnic) desgnation, then why would Spaniards NOT be part of the minority? If a white Cuban, a white Bolivian, and a white Argentinian are standing next to a white Spaniard, how will you be able to tell? Isn't the "visibility" of the minority supposedly that which causes them trouble and hardship in the greater "evil" American society?
Because Spaniards are white. I though that THIS was your point? Help minorities? And do you count whites as well? I don't think so.

And they don't have any "visibility".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies