Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What flavor of abortion do you favor?
No abortions, even in cases of rape, incest, birth defects, and mothers death 10 9.09%
Abortions only in cases of rape, incest, birth defects, and mothers health 24 21.82%
Abortions for whomever decides they need one. 76 69.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah yes of course View Post
What about in cases of rape?

This is why living wills are critical for people of any age. Death is unpleasant, but it has to be considered to some extent. By the way, the whole "death panel" myth was about doctors helping patients make informed decisions about the kind of situations which you are describing.
It's irrelevant to ask me what I would do -- it's not my decision. The decision would belong to his designated guardian or, barring that, his next of kin.
I think you should reread what I wrote. Because everything I said is in agreeance with you.

I am for letting people die(murder/abortion) for "compassionate" reasons. But I don't believe the same should be allowed for selfish or irresponsible reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 06:09 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm glad you got to make a choice.

However, there are birth defects, where children are literally born with no brain, just a stem. They aren't alive. They can also be born with no skull, which means certain death for the child.

Do you still oppose abortion in those cases?

There is no way, I could ever tell a 12 year old girl, who has already gone through the traumatic experience of being raped by her father, that she must now go through the experience of giving birth to that child.

I can understand the option in severe cases, but the out and out abolishment is evil, in my opinion.

But thank you for sharing your choice.
Actually, I still do oppose abortion in those cases. I really get that a child raped by a parent is going through some of the worst trauma in the world and I certainly can understand that. I just don't feel that we have the right to end the unborn child's life for something he/she had no control over. Even if that child has a diminished quality of life.

I worked for many years with society's "throwaway" people, folks with MR, major disabilities and other issues. IMHO, that job was the best experience I have ever had. It kept me humble and grateful. My clients were the nicest, most kind hearted people I've ever met. Can you imagine a world without people like that? I can't. We all need a kick in the butt sometimes and how those people carried on with such dignity and grace I'll never know. I'm not half as good on my best days and I'm "normal". Most of them didn't even have IQ's over 70.

But thank you for respecting my opinion. I honestly thought I might be raked over the coals for my beliefs like I usually am, but you were very kind.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:10 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I think you should reread what I wrote. Because everything I said is in agreeance with you.

I am for letting people die(murder/abortion) for "compassionate" reasons. But I don't believe the same should be allowed for selfish or irresponsible reasons.
The only thing I see wrong with what you're saying, is that women will just say they are raped. Its not like its something thats easy to determine. The ladies can simply say "I didn't want to report the rape, but I just missed my period" and you wouldn't deny it, or find proof for or against the rape.

The only thing, that form of legal abortion would do, is to secure an exponential increase in reported rape.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
abortions and the reasons for it are as individual as the woman who has the choice. if her choice is abortion, it is between her, her god if she has one and her doctor. we can speculate, arm chair quarter back, about her circumstances all we like. we can approve of her morality or not, approve of time frame or not. none of that matters, it is not our life, nor our body. woman have the right to privacy. plain and simple, it is none of your business why and when some random woman has an abortion or not. your morality of her life means nothing to her. it is her life to lead not a "collective ours" to put restrictions on the time or the reason.
she can carry a pregnancy to term or not, it is her choice. her reasons are none of our business.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Actually, I still do oppose abortion in those cases. I really get that a child raped by a parent is going through some of the worst trauma in the world and I certainly can understand that. I just don't feel that we have the right to end the unborn child's life for something he/she had no control over. Even if that child has a diminished quality of life.

I worked for many years with society's "throwaway" people, folks with MR, major disabilities and other issues. IMHO, that job was the best experience I have ever had. It kept me humble and grateful. My clients were the nicest, most kind hearted people I've ever met. Can you imagine a world without people like that? I can't. We all need a kick in the butt sometimes and how those people carried on with such dignity and grace I'll never know. I'm not half as good on my best days and I'm "normal". Most of them didn't even have IQ's over 70.

But thank you for respecting my opinion. I honestly thought I might be raked over the coals for my beliefs like I usually am, but you were very kind.
Its easy to understand your view. I'm sure it is founded on a deep religious belief. If someone has that much belief in any one thing, its pointless to "rake you over the coals" for it. I completely disagree with your opinion, and I could use countless adjectives to try and punish you for your opinion, but really, what would be the point of that? I don't bring this subject to get some sense of vindication, or to punish, I just find it interesting.

At least you replied, I find those who vote "no" on this kind of issue, and then don't have the spine to back it up, in a public format, then they should be raked over the coals.

All and all, we live in a free society. No one should be ashamed of their choice, whatever the basis is for their choice.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:17 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The only thing I see wrong with what you're saying, is that women will just say they are raped. Its not like its something thats easy to determine. The ladies can simply say "I didn't want to report the rape, but I just missed my period" and you wouldn't deny it, or find proof for or against the rape.

The only thing, that form of legal abortion would do, is to secure an exponential increase in reported rape.
They should be required to have reported a rape to the police. All rapes should be reported to the police. The vast majority of rapes are perpetrated by someone you know. So, it should be pretty easy for a woman to know who the rapist/father of her child is. If she chooses to not turn in her attacker because she doesn't want to get him in trouble. Then she should be responsible for her decision, and should not be awarded an abortion.

If a woman is found to be lying about a rape to the police, that is already a crime. And she can be put in jail for that false accusation.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
First trimester: no questions asked abortion.

After 3 months, no abortion unless there are severe fetal defects or mother is at risk.
Pretty much where I am

Old 02-08-2010, 06:19 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am glad everything worked out for you, and that you have 2 healthy children. I am a little confused though. Did the doctors suggest terminating your pregnancies, or are you saying that as you had issues you may have decided to terminate your pregnancies yourself? Sorry, I just wasn't sure. In all the years I have worked in maternal child health I have never heard of a doctor recommending a termination based on the possibility of Mental Retardation, so I was just curious.

I have seen doctor's recommend terminations for specific conditions, such as Tay-Sachs, or Edwards Syndrome (Trisomy 18), but never for a vague suspicion.
I started to feel a vague pressure from the docs and abortion did come up once, I believe, as a "choice". The whole experience left me feeling that it was one, a way for the docs to gather information for a study of some sort, and a two, that the focus was on me only and not the health and well being of my baby. Matter or fact, all they kept talking about was possible disorders my baby could have. And every test came back as a possible problem. Nothing concrete. The experience gave me and my husband the willies. The tests became more and more invasive and scary. That is went I stopped the whole thing.

I spoke with my co-worker who went through the same experience and she felt the same way as I did. I don't know what her beliefs were in terms of abortion. We never discussed it.

I recently talked with my children's doctor who is having her first and she is outright refusing the initial testing the doc told me I "had" to have. Good for her! I hope they never get to scare anyone else like they did us.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:21 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
I voted the second option but I'm against abortions for birth defects. Only rape/incest cases and when the mother's health is at risk are valid reasons for abortions.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:21 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
What flavor of abortion do I favor? Pistachio or strawberry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies