Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:20 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Obama hijacked the Gibbs press briefing today - and said the most astounding things, one of which is below.

Quote:
Let me put it this way. Most small businesses right now, if they've got enough customers to make a profit and they can get the bank loans required to boost their payroll, boost their inventory and sell to those customers, they will do so.
This absolute cements in my mind that obama and his team (who collectively have NO business experience), are completely clueless when it comes to why/how/when a business expands their payrolls.

Does he really believe a well run business will borrow money to "boost their payrolls"?

And they also won't borrow to boost their inventory UNLESS demand is there.

Demand AND profits will boost the payroll.

I am stunned at the level of ignorance from this guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 03:26 PM

377 posts, read 326,307 times
It happens all the time.

New businesses use loans to meet payroll while they build their book of business.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:28 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn View Post
It happens all the time.

New businesses use loans to meet payroll while they build their book of business.

shhh. Don't tell her anything, let her run with it.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:32 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Obama is taking a page from his playbook. Borrow money then spend like drunken sailors while racking up massive amounts of debt. I guess he assumes that's how the business world operates. I wonder how many businesses would succeed if they continued down this path of borrowing to make payroll?

(psst, businesses borrow money to build and expand their business, not to boost payrolls)

Old 02-09-2010, 03:33 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
It happens all the time.

Well, it used to happen all the time, I think that was the Presidents point, small business needs to be able to get back to that, and the Govt can help that process.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:34 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Obama hijacked the Gibbs press briefing today - and said the most astounding things, one of which is below.

This absolute cements in my mind that obama and his team (who collectively have NO business experience), are completely clueless when it comes to why/how/when a business expands their payrolls.

Does he really believe a well run business will borrow money to "boost their payrolls"?

And they also won't borrow to boost their inventory UNLESS demand is there.

Demand AND profits will boost the payroll.

I am stunned at the level of ignorance from this guy.
I'm stunned at the ignorance of this post. Easy credit is a way for business's to expand. That's all he's saying.

Nobody without a chip on their shoulder would disagree. You hate him. Whatever he says is wrong. Period.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:37 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
It actually is not only pretty standard operations for many businesses, and required to be done for some. Most retailers for instance operate in the red till around Thanksgiving (hence Black Friday).

Most businesses use lines of credit to meet obligations when cash flow is slow (and receivables are high), there is seasonality to the business, or there have been things that drained cash. At least half of those I have been a part of used lines of credit for 6 months out of the year to help with short term obligations.

The other option is to just lay people off during those times. This slows down business and increases the unemployment as they don't have enough labor to take advantage of selling more units when cash comes later. It also limits expansion, as they need to wait for cash to hire new people to make more instead of hiring more people to produce more as sales increase while the cash is still in receivables.

Accounting 101.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
It happens all the time.

Actually most businesses obtain a line of credit from their vendors, not the banks in order to boost inventory to THEN meet payroll.

While some businesses do indeed use loans to meet payroll, they are usually not small businesses, they are larger established businesses who extend credit themself to customers, thereby allowing themself to use accounts receivables to borrow against.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:49 PM

377 posts, read 326,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually most businesses obtain a line of credit from their vendors, not the banks in order to boost inventory to THEN meet payroll.
Sometimes yes and somtimes no.

Quote:
While some businesses do indeed use loans to meet payroll, they are usually not small businesses, they are larger established businesses who extend credit themself to customers, thereby allowing themself to use accounts receivables to borrow against.
I'm going to have to ahead and disagree with you on this one. Small businesses obtain loans to meet payroll all the time. Collateral for those loans is another deal. The loans can be secured (house as collateral) or unsecured (solid credit history).

In fact, there's cottage industry for such loans. A simple google search will show you that.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:14 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Most small businesses right now, if they've got enough customers to make a profit and they can get the bank loans required to boost their payroll, boost their inventory and sell to those customers, they will do so.
And just WHERE are the great flaws you allege in that statement?

I don't believe the ignorance of how business gets done is in the White House here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies