Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if your child turns out gay/lesbian or transgender
completly disown the child 5 4.63%
completly disown the child until he/she lives a straight lifestyle 1 0.93%
not approve but dont disown the child 7 6.48%
love the child, but dont wish to know of their lifestyle 4 3.70%
accept the child as who they are 91 84.26%
other 0 0%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:21 PM

133 posts, read 290,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
How would you know if your kid is trans before birth, hmm?
I'd assume they may be able to see through ultrasound?? Not to sure on what all they would be able to tell, but if they were able to come to that conclusion that's prob. be my vote. Dunno!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 02:24 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You know what I mean.
Those who do not agree with homosexuality. Someone's existence consists of a lot more than their sexual orientation.
Nothing weird about it at all.
I really don't know what you mean. I'm not trying to be argumentative.

Someone's existence consists of a lot more than their eye or skin color, but to be prejudiced against someone with blue eyes doesn't make any sense.

But let's go back...how do you not agree with homosexuality? That's like saying, "I don't agree with trees." Or bacon. Or black people.

What do you mean? How do you agree or not agree with the existence of a real object/person?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:27 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIsraelite View Post
Same here. Such things are mental illnesses they are not normal. Raise your children correctly and it won't happen.
Gay brains are hard-wired at birth - life - 18 June 2008 - New Scientist

Quote:
BRAIN scans have provided the most compelling evidence yet that being gay or straight is down to biology rather than choice. Tantalisingly, the scans reveal that in gay people, key structures of the brain governing emotion, mood, anxiety and aggression resemble those in straight people of the opposite sex.
And here's a source that even the most conservative of bigots should accept.

Sexuality 'hard-wired' before birth?

Quote:
Findings by a team of University of California, Los Angeles researchers suggest homosexuality isn't a choice.

The UCLA scientists discovered 54 genes in mice they say indicate sexual identity is hard-wired into the brain before birth and the development of the sex organs.

According to the research published in the latest edition of the journal Molecular Brain Research, the genes are produced in different amounts in male and female brains before being influenced by hormones. Specifically, 18 of the genes are produced at higher levels in male brains and 36 are produced at higher levels in female brains.

Historically, the hormones estrogen and testosterone were thought by scientists to call the sexuality shots. "Our findings may explain why we feel male or female, regardless of our actual anatomy," lead UCLA researcher, Eric Vilain, a professor of human genetics, urology and pediatrics at UCLA, said in a statement.
You "being gay is a choice" people really need to become better educated. Your ignorance and bias is hanging out for all the world to see.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:10 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanesG View Post
I'd assume they may be able to see through ultrasound?? Not to sure on what all they would be able to tell, but if they were able to come to that conclusion that's prob. be my vote. Dunno!
I think you're confusing intersex and transsexual. With intersex you can sometimes tell, with transsexuals you cannot. You do know what a transsexual is? Only recently have we been able to scan adult transsexual brains to determine gender differences in thought patterns, doing it in the womb on an undeveloped fetus will probably remain impossible.

Last edited by archineer; 02-10-2010 at 04:16 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 03:15 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Gay brains are hard-wired at birth - life - 18 June 2008 - New Scientist

And here's a source that even the most conservative of bigots should accept.

Sexuality 'hard-wired' before birth?

You "being gay is a choice" people really need to become better educated. Your ignorance and bias is hanging out for all the world to see.
This will all be ignored/denied. Some people just simply don't want to hear it. Either that or they'll accept it but still claim they don't agree with it, it's morally wrong, god doesn't make mistakes etc.

Last edited by archineer; 02-10-2010 at 03:23 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 03:37 PM

757 posts, read 802,949 times
Considering how you feel about homosexuality, do you really think if someone was gay in your family they'd tell you of all people? I kinda doubt it.

Quote:
But did they say it was a normal lifestyle?

To answer the question... it would not happen to my child. Because my family's bloodline is not capable of creating someone who is not regular in regards to sexual orientation.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:43 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Quote:
But did they say it was a normal lifestyle?

To answer the question... it would not happen to my child. Because my family's bloodline is not capable of creating someone who is not regular in regards to sexual orientation.
Bwaa haaa haaaa haaaa haaaaa......

That's the best laugh I've had all day.....

Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Disagreeing with something (or someone) does not necessarily make someone a bigot. There is nothing wrong opposing something due to religious or moral reasons. I don't smoke or drink... am I a "bigot" to those who do?

The definition you posted is much to broad.

Quote:
a person who holds blindly and intolerantly to a particular creed, opinion, etc.

That's too broad? Does it need to specifically mention gay people for you?

Old 02-10-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
But you didn't answer my question:
Do you think that every single person who does not condone or approve of homosexuality is a "bigot?"

I did see the word "prejudiced." Again, it is a very broad definition and not agreeing with something does not automatically mean that someone is prejudiced.

Disagreeing with something does not make one a bigot.

Saying you would disown your own child if they were gay, blaming parents for raising a child "incorrectly" and that's why he/she is gay, suggesting that homosexuals are deviant and a danger to society...that's bigoted.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Just pointing out the flaw in TI's argument

Don't bother, you'll spend all day typing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies