Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if your child turns out gay/lesbian or transgender
completly disown the child 5 4.63%
completly disown the child until he/she lives a straight lifestyle 1 0.93%
not approve but dont disown the child 7 6.48%
love the child, but dont wish to know of their lifestyle 4 3.70%
accept the child as who they are 91 84.26%
other 0 0%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:02 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,305,274 times

Advertisements

I'd love my kids the same way I do now. Nothing would change. I talk to them often about being accepting of alternate lifestyles, so even if they are not gay, they will be respectful of those who are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,023,629 times
Nothing would change at all. They are who they are.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 AM

36,639 posts, read 67,251,790 times
you forgot another option:
"Love the child and let them know what you think is right and wrong"

I think our society has gotten so twisted that its now seen as hateful for parents to counsel their children if it goes against the "live and let live" mentality that seems to prevail nowadays.

While I agree that we should allow each other personal freedom to live our lives as we see fit, parents have a responsibility to teach their children morals and values. Even if a child chooses something different, parents cannot simply relinquish their role to raise their kids.

When I came out, my parents were initially torn up about it-not because they hated me, but because they were genuinely concerned for me.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:09 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,261,554 times
Why do you guys even respond to the worthless trolls on this thread, they're just saying that crap to get a rise out of everyone. I can't even imagine having a kid however I think I would find it more alarming if they turned out to be an extreme christian conservative....where did I go wrong? But alas, your child is your child, only the dregs of society would throw out their kid or disown them because they were gay. Those types of people should've been sterilized long before.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 AM

170 posts, read 398,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Not to any credible psychologist.
Although Psychology has been heavily criticized for the fact it is not necessarily considered a Science.

* Is Psychology a Science?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:13 AM

170 posts, read 398,320 times
I don't deny that there are serious mental disorders, but there needs to be some some of neurological/biochemical explanation for it. And this has been the problem of psychology and psychiatry IMO.

Ok, yes, there are people who have severe depression or severe stress and anxiety due to life experiences which may have no genetic/neurological/physiological/etc. problems, and really are just problems of the mind, I don't deny that, and we need those too, but the DSM IV has a description for nearly every "disorder" conceivable and growing. Now sibling rivalry is a disorder, and there is a "Midlife" crisis "disorder." And did you know homosexuality was considered a mental disorder until 1973 but was removed due to political pressure?

If there is a test one day that can show a definite link between certain genetic markers in society and ADD/ADHD for instance, it would be more comforting, but so far all the research has been pretty abysmal (or poorly setup), and if it were strongly proven, I would trust a neurologist who has the knowledge and means to diagnose it correctly.

For a great read on the criticisms of the current practice of psychology from a world-reknown scientist/engineer Paul Lutus (NASA Engineer who also wrote the Apple II writer program for the Mac in the 80s), check out:

He basically argues that the field isn't scientifically rigorous, how it has become like religion with a lot of beliefs but no scientific backing and argues for an evidence based model (even the President of the APA called for it but at the anger and resentment by the rank and file).

It's worth the read if you guys have the time.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 AM

757 posts, read 801,143 times
People like you should not have children if your love is conditional. Also, the APA has not considered homosexuality a mental illness for over 40 years. Care to join the rest of us in THIS century?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIsraelite View Post
My parents brought me up correctly as far as that part. So yeah it is a mental illness. You are not born being homosexual you are not born thinking gee one day I want to change my sexual orientation! Give me a break.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,859,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
I don't deny that there are serious mental disorders, but there needs to be some some of neurological/biochemical explanation for it. And this has been the problem of psychology and psychiatry IMO.

Ok, yes, there are people who have severe depression or severe stress and anxiety due to life experiences which may have no genetic/neurological/physiological/etc. problems, and really are just problems of the mind, I don't deny that, and we need those too, but the DSM IV has a description for nearly every "disorder" conceivable and growing. Now sibling rivalry is a disorder, and there is a "Midlife" crisis "disorder." And did you know homosexuality was considered a mental disorder until 1973 but was removed due to political pressure?

If there is a test one day that can show a definite link between certain genetic markers in society and ADD/ADHD for instance, it would be more comforting, but so far all the research has been pretty abysmal (or poorly setup), and if it were strongly proven, I would trust a neurologist who has the knowledge and means to diagnose it correctly.

For a great read on the criticisms of the current practice of psychology from a world-reknown scientist/engineer Paul Lutus (NASA Engineer who also wrote the Apple II writer program for the Mac in the 80s), check out:

He basically argues that the field isn't scientifically rigorous, how it has become like religion with a lot of beliefs but no scientific backing and argues for an evidence based model (even the President of the APA called for it but at the anger and resentment by the rank and file).

It's worth the read if you guys have the time.
Oh you want some real science? Here you go:

Male-to-Female Transsexuals Have Female Neuron Numbers in a Limbic Nucleus -- Kruijver et al. 85 (5): 2034 -- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism

BBC NEWS | Health | Scans see 'gay brain differences'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5120004.stm

Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,843,363 times
Quote:
Same here. Such things are mental illnesses they are not normal. Raise your children correctly and it won't happen.
Looks like you're the one who has a mental illness. No doubt about that.

Quote:
My parents brought me up correctly as far as that part. So yeah it is a mental illness. You are not born being homosexual you are not born thinking gee one day I want to change my sexual orientation! Give me a break.
Shame on you. Hope you will never had any kids.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:13 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,574,516 times
At least it's reassuring to see the bigots are in the minority. And bigots they are. That's my opinion , I was told it's called having a view...

Isn't it odd how silent those people will remain on real moral issues like poverty, war, child labour, sex trafficking, human rights abuses around the world, environmental destruction, famine etc.... I guess that unfortunately takes a lot more than a few words. It never ceases to amaze me how much anger and energy people waste on the issue of wether two men love each other...

Wow, some people are attracted to the same sex. Big whoop ! What prurient interest do the bigoted freaks who call Gay people mentally ill have in other people's sex lives and what they do in the privacy of their own homes... Sounds almost... unhealthy doesn't it ??

Wake up people , this isn't the Dark Ages anymore. Wake up and smell the Coffee. Gay people have always been with us , always will be and finally most of the western world has realised it's not even an issue anymore. Except for a few sad pathetic fundies with the emotional intelligence of comatose earthworms.

If you find it so distateful then don't engage in Gay sex. Or maybe join the Taleban , I heard they do a fine line in extremist,fundamentalist intolerance and apparently they are recruiting. They hate Gay people, Bi-Sexuals, Women, Education, Science, Love, Tolerance , sounds like a match made in heaven.

Ok the beard is a tad itchy and their garb a little less than fashionable but the stonings, and ( dis) "honour" killings are supposed to be quite a social event. Of course there is always the possibility of importing our own Western traditions and burning people at the stake instead. One needs a change once in a while doesn't one ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies