Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 PM

15,059 posts, read 8,622,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
In a single-payer system, medical decisions are between a doctor and his/her patient.
Right now the insurance companies pretty much make the decisions. If they won't pay for it, it's highly unlikely a doctor will perform the work/treatment and go unpaid for their work.

Pray tell, how would the "free market" system help this young boy?
Something tells me the "free market" wouldn't help him. It would just simply let him die because he can't cough up the money to pay for it himself.
You all simply blabber on without the faintest idea of what you support.

the healthcare reform I've read through puts annual limits for individuals and families that would literally eliminate common treatments that are routinely done every day in this country. There is not a cancer treatment used today that would not exceed those limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:03 PM

512 posts, read 861,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Originally Posted by cleoT
I remember one fundraiser that ended up in a federal investigation. it was messy and so disheartening. And so wrong.

But, it's certainly not my fault for helping out. I did my part. You want to penalize all of us (taking away our gift money for taxes to pay for our government's idea of health insurance) because some people are dishonest with their money. For the one scam I got caught in, I helped more people than not. Sue me for caring.

And, it's not my idea of health care coverage. I never said that. I did say that communities pull together to do what you are asking our government to do. I can assure you, local communities do a far better job than a bunch of bureaucrats."""

No, you can't assure me that UHC is less organized than fish fries by the neighbors. There are many countries who do just fine with UHC.

My idea of health coverage is major medical coverage only. It's the way it used to be. Make's the individual more responsible,""

You just advocated benefits/charity ! How is that making the individual more responsible? Personally I wouldn't want my neighbors to know my medical condition nor my financial condition. nor have to beg for the health care I paid for....you go right ahead...

and the costs go way down.""""

Whose costs?

"""If you don't believe me, go into your doctor's office and tell him you no longer have a PPO or PHN or whatever. Tell them you have to pay out of pocket for everything"""

And the INSURED LIKE ME PAY FOR IT!

"""up to a $4000 per person deductible (to them this means cash up front). They will give you a list of services, and they most likely will explain to you that, since you are paying in full up front, the fees to you are lower, sometimes a third of what they charge insurance companies due to many factors, one being denial of coverage. My personal doctor went from $82 a visit down to $35. Bloodwork, injections, so forth went down comparably.

I now have a HSA, my second one in five years. Before the first and inbetween the two we had a PPO through my husband's work. It took some work but I was able to negociate, even with a dermatologist (my son has a rare skin pigment which has to be watched) to a very affordable rate. We've lived in two different states with either of the HSAs. So far everything is consistent with both of them and both experiences in using it with the doctors.

My in-laws have been in the position the OP family has been in, only their son was twelve and, admitedly, his condition wasn't considered fatal, but life-shortening. It was also life changing for all. They were up against some tough choices, as their insurance didn't want to pay for some experimental procedures. They found a way around it. Fundraisers, children's hospitals that were privately funded. So forth. They found a way to get two seperate treatments the doctors told them about that their insurance wouldn't pay for because they were considered experiemental and risky. Now, because of those experiments, my brother in-law has almost no nasal lining, suffered a colapsed lung, and his immune system is so low he's told that, if he gets pneumonia his body won't be able to fight it and he'll likely die. His condition didn't get better and he lives every day in pain, and probably will until he dies prematurely. He's now 38, a husband, father of four, and a very successful computer programmer. I pray for this for little Kyler. My brother-in-law's family didn't sue anyone because they understood it was their choice to begin with. they never had to take any other form of assistance. They know how fortunate they are, and it grates on them when strangers, who don't know their story, act as if they are horrible for their particular views on politics.

So, although I don't live in Mayberry, I do know first hand what I'm talking about, have lived through it, where as you sound as if you're taking someone's issue and making it your own."""

That's right! Unlike you , who only cares about your own personal situation, I care for all Americans who don't get affordable and TIMELY care.... I can see past myself to how lack of care affects everyone eventually....you are a typical repug..if you're fine, then everything is fine...

""""Sorry for such a long post, but just trying to offer some enlightenment to those who want to bash me because they don't like my view.

This can remain a good discussion if people keep snide comments out of it.

You know, I would love to debate the OP and healthcare further, but you keep insulting me. I haven't called you any names and I have respected your opinion, and I derserve better than what you are willing to give.

Are you a bigot? You have demonstrated the very definition of one with me. So we have differing opinions. Can you not handle that? You have to dissolve any good discussion into "My view is better than your view and you're stupid" drivel.

One thing I will correct you on because you've called me this more than once. I am not a republican. I don't hold anyone's line. I never have. I think you might think about therapy to get rid of your hatred for others.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
How much are you willing to send them? Start a fund drive right here on CD...100 generous people to give $1000...that's all it would take. Or, break it down anyway you want...still, it's better than just whining for no purpose.

What do you have need of that is more important than this child's life?
Not this crap again! Are you donating to this cause, or just suggesting that everyone else do so? It could be you some day whose insurance won't provide for something that could save your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
Why do you think it's sad that there are people out there WILLING to give to a local fundraiser to help a family pay for medical bills? I think it's a grand idea. In fact, I was reading articles about it, trying to figure out where I could send a donation.
I think an endless round of fund-raisers for those who don't have insurance is a bad idea. I would rather pay a tax than spend my so-called "free" time baking cookies, washing cars, going door to door selling overpriced useless crap.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:22 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
You all simply blabber on without the faintest idea of what you support.

the healthcare reform I've read through puts annual limits for individuals and families that would literally eliminate common treatments that are routinely done every day in this country. There is not a cancer treatment used today that would not exceed those limits
Did you read H.R. 676 because if you did, you wouldn't see that in there.

I know what the heck I support.
The bill many Dems and Obama are pushing is NOT single-payer so don't mistake their bullsh** for single-payer.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:50 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,286,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You tell me why the second EXPERIMENTAL treatment was denied payment by the insurance company. I'll give you a hint........something to do with profit.
I'll tell you that,...when you tell me why the FIRST experimental treatment was paid for by the company. Experimental procedures are EXCLUDED by contract. Did the company make a huge mistake in paying for the first experiment?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Think Progress » Insurer Denies Life-Prolonging Treatment To Five-Year-Old Boy With Cancer

I bet if we left this boy to the "free market," he'd be dead.
Well he left the uterus 5 years ago, that means his right to life doesn't need protecting any more.

The sad thing is, we can produce enough medicine, train enough health care professionals to take care of ourselves without any problem. We have so many unemployed people we could train them to work in healthcare producing the drugs and working as caregivers that we could drive down the costs of the system. If we really want America to be a place where things like this would never happen. Its doable. the problem is everyone has to buy into it.

In the meantime, we'll just be 300 million individuals screwing each other over to make a buck, while China slowly puts us in their back pocket.

I think America should just disband, we really don't want to be a country, just a lot of greedy, lazy individuals.........sigh

Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 PM

621 posts, read 1,053,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Well he left the uterus 5 years ago, that means his right to life doesn't need protecting any more.
This makes no logical sense.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:08 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
I'll tell you that,...when you tell me why the FIRST experimental treatment was paid for by the company. Experimental procedures are EXCLUDED by contract. Did the company make a huge mistake in paying for the first experiment?
They might have shown some leniency given the age of the child at that time and the prognosis. Also, "experimental" covers a pretty wide range.

The type of cancer this kid has becomes much less survivable as the kid ages and the initial treatments didn't work.

They are likely weighing his age, staging, failed earlier treatments and a lot more information.

It's really sad, but that poor kid is almost certainly not going to make it past gradeschool age. <sigh>

Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,286,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They might have shown some leniency given the age of the child at that time and the prognosis. Also, "experimental" covers a pretty wide range.

The type of cancer this kid has becomes much less survivable as the kid ages and the initial treatments didn't work.

They are likely weighing his age, staging, failed earlier treatments and a lot more information.

It's really sad, but that poor kid is almost certainly not going to make it past gradeschool age. <sigh>
This insurance company is being painted as some sort of black-hearted entity,...but it DID pay for an experimental procedure prior to the relapse. Under the contract the company could have denied the initial procedure thereby making any other requests for experimental procedures moot.

I've asked the question regarding the good faith payment for the first experimental procedure, and why there is so much animosity toward the company when it went beyond its contractual obligation in the first place. All I read is reference to some CEO making big bucks, and all the emotionalism surrounding the fact that this is a five year old.

It would seem that if this were a 65 year old man, there wouldn't be nearly the outcry, the emotionalism, or the constant rantings about "universal health care would not allow this". Seems there is a legitimate question regarding whether the healthcare plan as proposed would pay for experimental procedures of this magnitude.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:50 PM

621 posts, read 1,053,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
This insurance company is being painted as some sort of black-hearted entity,...but it DID pay for an experimental procedure prior to the relapse. Under the contract the company could have denied the initial procedure thereby making any other requests for experimental procedures moot.

I've asked the question regarding the good faith payment for the first experimental procedure, and why there is so much animosity toward the company when it went beyond its contractual obligation in the first place. All I read is reference to some CEO making big bucks, and all the emotionalism surrounding the fact that this is a five year old.

It would seem that if this were a 65 year old man, there wouldn't be nearly the outcry, the emotionalism, or the constant rantings about "universal health care would not allow this". Seems there is a legitimate question regarding whether the healthcare plan as proposed would pay for experimental procedures of this magnitude.
I agree completely Thank you for your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies