Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:00 AM

805 posts, read 771,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
No--it's merely that you people have no credibility at all bitching about the subject.
No - - it's merely that you people have no credibility at all bitching because you can't figure out what the thread is about and staying on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 04:09 AM

918 posts, read 813,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlover View Post
He's been in office ONE year. Contrary to popular opinion, he is not a Miracle Worker.

Gee! Could have fooled me From all his grandiose rhetoric in the campaign I would have sworn he was a miracle worker. That's why he led you guys to believe so ignorantly in that Hope and Change mantra. He may well deserve credit, after all, for being the miracle worker. Everything he touches turns to sh*t! That's some kind of miracle..., no!
I mean...not really what you guys were hoping for, but some kind anyway. You should take consolation for small favors. Admit it...you expected too much from the jerk. This clown's ego won't be able to take the housecleaning *sswhuppin' he's gonna get come November...oouu weeee!

Old 02-12-2010, 05:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,003,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
when it comes to their cellphones. Now, isn't this just remarkable and breathtaking?

Feds push for tracking cell phones | Politics and Law - CNET News
If you think tracking cell phone location is a novel thing, you need to check what year it is on your calendar.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:38 AM

23,153 posts, read 26,038,809 times
The potential for abuse is too great.I hope there is a ruling that demands a warrent for obtaining the records.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:01 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,559,733 times
It appears we're stuck with this now. As far as I know, the Republican philosophy is to keep America "safe" at any cost, which includes monitoring our phone calls. I doubt this policy would be any different under a Republican administration.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:14 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,850,713 times
Quote:
Another Whiney Obama poll.

I've never heard so much moanin and bi***ing since Condoleeza Rice couldn't find a pair of alligator shoes in New York.

He's been in office ONE year. Contrary to popular opinion, he is not a Miracle Worker.
And what does that have to do with his opinion on cell phone tapping? Now, I can understand defending him on the economy, it is not like it wasn't bad BEFORE he came to office, but what about his illiberal stances on things like civil liberties? That very much matters.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:20 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,366,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
According to obama; Americans enjoy no "reasonable expectation of privacy"...when it comes to their cellphones. Now, isn't this just remarkable and breathtaking?
What would be remarkable and breathtaking is that there would be anyone at all who believed that there was any reasonable expectation of privacy when using a cellphone. Subject to possible zonng retsrictions, it has always been legal to stick an antenna in your back yard and intercept whatever signals happen to be passing by. The special privacy protections established by legislation for landline-initiated communication are not the rule, they are the exception to the rule.

But this case isn't even about that. It's about the nature of billing records that are already legally maintained by third parties that have nothing to do with communication itself, but rather with the location of the device being used in communication. Your own location is not protected information, even if you are Dick Cheney. Police do not need a warrant to initiate a stake-out, and anyone can retain a private investigator to tail you around and even take pictures of you everywhere you go. It is hard in that light to see how the location of your cellphone can be construed as protected information. Ask yourself what actual qualitative difference exists between the existing business-purpose records in the databases of a telecom company and the existing business-purpose records on the security tapes down at your local 7-11. Is there a legitimate distinction between them that would demand that these records be treated differently?

Meanwhile, the question arising in this case is not actually whether the government (aka law enforcement) may have access to those records, but whether they may have access to them on demand, i.e., without a warrant and the establishment of probable cause that a warrant implies. That is a legitimate question, and the arguments on either side of it are reasonably arrived at. This is in stark contrast to the OP which is a not-really-reasoned-at-all attempt to sensationalize a mischaracterization of the issues at hand.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,812,456 times
Quote:
it only took him 143 days in the senate to be miraculously qualified for POTUS.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:12 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,029,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
No--it's merely that you people have no credibility at all bitching about the subject.
How do you figure that?

You man promised all the hope and change, you ignorant voters elected him and now he is a complete dissapointment.

That is why we call you Obamatrons. You a mesmorized by this pathetic little scoundrel. He has basically carried out the Bush Doctrine and you all sit there and say NOTHING!

PATHETIC.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:14 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,029,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It appears we're stuck with this now. As far as I know, the Republican philosophy is to keep America "safe" at any cost, which includes monitoring our phone calls. I doubt this policy would be any different under a Republican administration.
Which is exactly why we need to revolt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies