Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 02:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
While I'm slappin' my knee and practically square dancing across the room due to your down, home, folksy style, I remain really confused about one thing...

How can you possibly equate smart and intellectual with anything negative? That's quite possibly the most irritating thing about the current version of the conservative movement... Anti-intellectualism first negates the hard work that many people do to get graduate degrees, to learn at top institutions and have a greater understanding of the planet and society...

Secondly it values idiocy and ignorance, which is just plain sad.
exactly!!!!! Whether Palin really is dumb, or she just acts that way so people will like her, I don't know, but both are sad and scary possibilities. People say the left is "scared" of her. No. But what does worry me is the following she has. she doesn't worry me. The sheep worry me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 02:58 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
While I'm slappin' my knee and practically square dancing across the room due to your down, home, folksy style, I remain really confused about one thing...

How can you possibly equate smart and intellectual with anything negative? That's quite possibly the most irritating thing about the current version of the conservative movement... Anti-intellectualism first negates the hard work that many people do to get graduate degrees, to learn at top institutions and have a greater understanding of the planet and society...

Secondly it values idiocy and ignorance, which is just plain sad.
True... yet they defend to the death doctors' incomes and businesspeople's right not to have to pay any further tax "because they went to school and worked hard."

It *is* amazing.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:59 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
you got 2 out of 3 articles on your side. Congrats. I did read the whole thing, thus the quote I posted from the last paragraph. You do this constantly - pick and choose quotes from your links that support your side. I don't know if you don't read them, or don't understand them, or what but the quote theolsarge posted from the article YOU posted says it all!
Here's the quote you posted. Is that the best you can do with THREE articles from Leftists praising Palin?

Quote:
"The speech was inspired drivel, a series of distortions and oversimplifications, totally bereft of nourishing policy proposalsthe sort of thing calculated, carefully calculated, to drive lamestream media types like me frothing to their keyboards. Palin is a big fat target, eminently available for derision. But I will not deride. Because brilliance must be respected, especially when it involves marketing in an era when image almost always passes for substance."
Just that one little sentence is all you can point to? Inspired drivel - check. Distortion and oversimplifications - check. Bereft of policy proposals - check.

Hello? It wasn't a "policy" speech. It was Red Meat.

Of course, you missed the last part I underlined.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:03 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,398,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Here's the quote you posted. Is that the best you can do with THREE articles from Leftists praising Palin?

Just that one little sentence is all you can point to? Inspired drivel - check. Distortion and oversimplifications - check. Bereft of policy proposals - check.

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwarəs- to cut
Date: 1550
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm

2a would apply to what you underlined.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:

why do you just ignore the fact that the author called her speech "drivel" and "a series of distortions"? Do you really think this was a complimentary review? You do know what a "distortion" is right? Some might call them "lies." That's fine and dandy with you? "all image and no substance." Is that what you are after in a leader?

driv·el (drvl)
v. driv·eled or driv·elled, driv·el·ing or driv·el·ling, driv·els
v.intr.
1. To slobber; drool.
2. To flow like spittle or saliva.
3. To talk stupidly or childishly.
v.tr.
1. To allow to flow from the mouth.
2. To say (something) stupidly.
n.
1. Saliva flowing from the mouth.
2. Stupid or senseless talk.

dis·tor·tion (d-stôrshn)
n.
a. The act or an instance of distorting.
b. The condition of being distorted.
2. A statement that twists fact; a misrepresentation.
3. A change in the shape of an image resulting from imperfections in an optical system, such as a lens.
4. Electronics
a. An undesired change in the waveform of a signal.
b. A consequence of such a change, especially a lack of fidelity in reception or reproduction.
5. Psychology The modification of unconscious impulses into forms acceptable by conscious or dreaming perception.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Why would you be proud of that observation?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:10 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
True... yet they defend to the death doctors' incomes and businesspeople's right not to have to pay any further tax "because they went to school and worked hard."

It *is* amazing.
People would much rather defend the $250,000 a year that they will NEVER earn than improve their current state....

Old 02-11-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
People would much rather defend the $250,000 a year that they will NEVER earn than improve their current state....
...because they're told that if they're good guard dogs, they, too, might one day....

Old 02-11-2010, 03:23 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,521,234 times
Quote:
You give a speech riddled with falsehoods about the president and national security, and then try to shrug them off as the "lamestream" media attacking you.
You don't fool me, even as your legion of fans considers you the second coming of President Reagan. You quit on the people who elected you to become a political celebrity, which your presidential running mate blasted then-Sen. Barack Obama for doing.
You had the opportunity to show everyone that you're willing to take on anyone who crosses the line against those who are mentally challenged, and you failed.
Please, make as much money as you can. Paraphrasing comedian Martin Lawrence, ride this train until the wheels fall off. But please, cut the crap. You're a crass politician with no true conviction. Your actions have shown that.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:27 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
As a big fat liberal, I LOVE Sarah Palin and the teabaggers!

RUN, SARAH, RUN!!!!!!!

Palin/Brown 2012

Tea Party RULES!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies