Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My thoughts on the "gay frat house" are
It is limousine liberalism at its finest. Stop the segregation. Let the students integrate and learn from each other. 11 32.35%
More evidence of the university being paternal and ineffective. 3 8.82%
Neutral. 8 23.53%
Gays now have a place of their own. It teachs the students to be more tolerant. 8 23.53%
Segregation is fantastic. Straights and gays do not go together. It is wrong. 7 20.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:01 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Probably shouldn't have blacks or middle easterners either.
Discrimination is discrimination.

If the university is receiving state or federal dollars and the organization is sanctioned by or receiving support from the university, a law suit could follow.
I don't like discrimination either, but if the KKK doesn't want to allow black members, its their club, and they can do what they want, right?

Frats are outside of the schools funding. The school allows a frat to pay rent for a house, so I see it as their house. If the frat only wants to allow men who are over 6 foot tall, with a 3.6 GPA or better in the house, then thats their business. If a frat with only homosexuals in it, don't want to allow straight guys in, thats their business.

Its the same situation as my house, business, or car. If I don't want to allow someone into it, then its my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
A gay frat house was created at a "very liberal" Texas university because the other frats didn't allow gays to join.

So now the gays are segregated into their own frat house.

So if it is such an extremely liberal college why are the students so phobic of gays?
I know you've talked repeatedly in the past about UT-Austin. If that is where you mean, then no, the University of Texas is not an extremely liberal college, first off. It may be extremely liberal by the standards of a large Texas public university.

Quote:
And why do gays have to be segregated into their own frat? Those are rhetorical questions.

If I went to a "very liberal" college I would expect the campus society to be so progressive and so tolerant that gays and lesbians would be able to integrate smoothly into any frat house of their choice. That's my two-cents. I see this as limousine liberalism and MasterCard Marxism at its finest mixed with divide and conquer strategy.

Your thoughts.
artsy, I really don't understand this. Do you really believe that the university sets this policy?

Fraternities accept members through a process called rush. This is where the members of the fraternity choose who they want to enter. The University can't say squat.

So, when these fraternities pick members, they all self-segregate into whatever identity they perceive as important. This is the point, as fraternities are an elaborate scheme to meet girls. So if you're going to have a fraternity, you need to have a good name, you don't want to join an organization that will let in just anybody. If you are considered a high-status group for your particular time and place, then you want to maintain that exclusitivity.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:10 AM

804 posts, read 1,964,746 times
Safety in numbers... birds of a feather. Only a small percentage of students join frats or sororities, and there are several to choose from anyway. College should be the time to focus on studies without the distracting chicanery. There's already enough to go around

Old 02-12-2010, 10:51 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
...Only a small percentage of students join frats or sororities, and there are several to choose from anyway...
When I was in college, we thought of fraternities as clubs for Rich Gay Boys.
Sororities were clubs for Rich Bi-sexual girls that didn’t care that the Frat Boys were Gay and whose job it was to help them maintain a straight image.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Quote:
A gay frat house was created at a "very liberal" Texas university because the other frats didn't allow gays to join.

So if it is such an extremely liberal college why are the students so phobic of gays? And why do gays have to be segregated into their own frat? Those are rhetorical questions.

If I went to a "very liberal" college I would expect the campus society to be so progressive and so tolerant that gays and lesbians would be able to integrate smoothly into any frat house of their choice. That's my two-cents. I see this as limousine liberalism and MasterCard Marxism at its finest mixed with divide and conquer strategy.

Your thoughts.

My thoughts? Your poll options are biased, leaning distinctly to the right..

Old 02-12-2010, 11:16 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
What's wrong with having a straight or gay fraternity. It has nothing to do with personal politics. Your talking about segregating because of lifestyle not race. There are two totally different things.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:24 AM

769 posts, read 887,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Safety in numbers... birds of a feather. Only a small percentage of students join frats or sororities, and there are several to choose from anyway. College should be the time to focus on studies without the distracting chicanery. There's already enough to go around

I don't disagree that you shouldn't be studious in college, as I was very. But it shouldn't be your's or anyone elses besides a student and their University to deciede how they spend their time. I had a wonderful social life as part of a fraternity, made some life long friends that could never be replaced, and got an internship through a contact. With that internship I exceled and later when I graduated received a full time job from said company. So really, in my life, joining the fraternity had one of the most positive impacts out of everything else in my college career.

And for the rest of you that seem to have a chip on your shoulder about Greek life, sorry you weren't chosen at Rush, get over it

(oughta rile some people up)

Old 02-12-2010, 11:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:

So if it is such an extremely liberal college why are the students so phobic of gays? And why do gays have to be segregated into their own frat? Those are rhetorical questions.

Your thoughts.
Do you have a link to this?

Anyway, they are already segregated by gender and politics and income and legacy and interests... How is this different?

Old 02-12-2010, 11:28 AM

769 posts, read 887,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
What's wrong with having a straight or gay fraternity. It has nothing to do with personal politics. Your talking about segregating because of lifestyle not race. There are two totally different things.

I don't see why this is an issue, there are exclusively black fraternities and no one raises a brow. I'm sure it is not a University policy dis-barring homosexuals from joining, but rather the members themselves. And the members wouldn't even know one was gay before selection unless it was disclosed by the individual during the first couple rush events (by which you are selected or not).

Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 AM

187 posts, read 351,151 times
Quote:

Your thoughts.
Fraternities are some of the most conservative institutions on any university campus. The article I saw said some fraternities were hostile to gays. There are black fraternities and Jewish fraternities. Why not gay fraternities.

Quote:
Russell van Kraayenburg, president of the fraternity, brought up the idea to open a gay fraternity to the UT Greek community six months ago.

"Everyone's been so supportive on campus," he said. "There's not been a single person I've talked to who's been against the idea or even questioned the idea."

Looks like an overstatement by the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies