Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times

Advertisements

Barty, old school Reaganite, telling like it is about the Rupert party and the tea baggin' lunatic fringe cult of Beck and their ridiculous ideological wet dreams.

"A prime reason why we have a budget deficit problem in this country is because Republicans almost universally believe in a nonsensical idea called starve the beast (STB). By this theory, the one and only thing they need to do to be fiscally responsible is to cut taxes. They need not lift a finger to cut spending because it will magically come down, just as a child will reduce her spending if her allowance is cut — the precise analogy used by Ronald Reagan to defend this doctrine in a Feb. 5, 1981, address to the nation.

According to Republican mythology, repeated by Moore and Vedder, the budget was balanced only because Republicans got control of Congress in the 1994 elections. But the deficit had already shrunk from 4.7 percent of GDP in 1992 to 2.9 percent in 1994. Budget experts who don't shill for the Republican Party generally agree that the budget reforms and tax increases of 1990 and 1993 — which were both enacted against strenuous opposition from almost every Republican in Congress — deserve the bulk of the credit for bringing down spending and the deficit with tough budget enforcement rules and higher taxes.

Moore and Vedder simply deny that the 1990 and 1993 tax increases had anything to do with the budget surpluses that emerged in 1998, even though higher federal revenues contributed 44 percent to the improvement in the deficit. Between 1992 and 1998, spending fell by 3 percent of GDP and revenues rose 2.4 percent. "

Old 11-30-2010, 02:27 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Elementary my dear. Anything Obama endorses the current right will oppose. The guy could say cancer is bad and there'd be pundits on the right and people in here saying he's wrong.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:46 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Barty, old school Reaganite, telling like it is about the Rupert party and the tea baggin' lunatic fringe cult of Beck and their ridiculous ideological wet dreams.

"A prime reason why we have a budget deficit problem in this country is because Republicans almost universally believe in a nonsensical idea called starve the beast (STB). By this theory, the one and only thing they need to do to be fiscally responsible is to cut taxes. They need not lift a finger to cut spending because it will magically come down, just as a child will reduce her spending if her allowance is cut — the precise analogy used by Ronald Reagan to defend this doctrine in a Feb. 5, 1981, address to the nation.

According to Republican mythology, repeated by Moore and Vedder, the budget was balanced only because Republicans got control of Congress in the 1994 elections. But the deficit had already shrunk from 4.7 percent of GDP in 1992 to 2.9 percent in 1994. Budget experts who don't shill for the Republican Party generally agree that the budget reforms and tax increases of 1990 and 1993 — which were both enacted against strenuous opposition from almost every Republican in Congress — deserve the bulk of the credit for bringing down spending and the deficit with tough budget enforcement rules and higher taxes.

Moore and Vedder simply deny that the 1990 and 1993 tax increases had anything to do with the budget surpluses that emerged in 1998, even though higher federal revenues contributed 44 percent to the improvement in the deficit. Between 1992 and 1998, spending fell by 3 percent of GDP and revenues rose 2.4 percent. "
While I agree with you that republicans have been slack on spending and have been pretty hard on tax rates.

I will go a step further and say I agree with "starve the beast" as as methodology.

I do not agree that the Tea Party is falling in line with this. The Tea Party has been solid on one issue above all others and that issue is cutting spending.

Most of us conservatives are at the point where all we want is to cut government. I dont want rate hikes. I dont want government to have more money. I want the government to spend less than it takes in. period. cut until we reach that level. This is what the tea party has been saying.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:01 PM

184 posts, read 142,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
While I agree with you that republicans have been slack on spending and have been pretty hard on tax rates.

I will go a step further and say I agree with "starve the beast" as as methodology.

I do not agree that the Tea Party is falling in line with this. The Tea Party has been solid on one issue above all others and that issue is cutting spending.

Most of us conservatives are at the point where all we want is to cut government. I dont want rate hikes. I dont want government to have more money. I want the government to spend less than it takes in. period. cut until we reach that level. This is what the tea party has been saying.

Lets start with out of control defense spending and lets cut social security and medicare.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:08 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwind View Post
Lets start with out of control defense spending and lets cut social security and medicare.
how about we start with an accross the board cut of everthing?

and by everything, I mean everything.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 AM

43 posts, read 169,921 times
I sincerely doubt we will ever see a day where the Government cuts Government jobs or benefits.

How many "all-around" assistants did you say Michelle Obama has? 20? How many did Nancy,Jackie,Hillary and on and on have? 1-2 ? It may sound elementary but it speaks volumes to me.

Seriously, our government...regardless of who is in office now....spends money like we have it. Truth is we do not and we are fooling ourselves to think we are a strong country when we have to borrow to pay our bills. (Simplified version) How much longer can we hold on...no, we are not just holding on, we are wild spending and borrowing...how much longer? I remember the days legislation was passed in the middle of the night. Now it is out in the open and common practice. Our lawmakers are paid by the groups that want their way, laws are passed regardless of who it hurts or what it costs while we sit back and watch. The "shame" is even gone. It is ok to lie, steal, cheat and as long as you win, people will shake your hand and look up to you. We elect great Orators to tell us what we want to hear than make excuses for their actions...or lack of. Dont fool yourselves. Dem vs Repubs? Isn't it really about us vs them at this point? I have never considered myself even remotely radical...and I know this sounds that way, but can anyone say it is not the truth? I am a social liberal and a fiscal conservative. Where do I vote? Who represents me?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:36 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Paul Volcker, the man who, under the Reagan administration, is widely credited with bringing down double digit inflatation to under 4% is trumpheting his Volcker Rules.

Now he is working on President Obama's economic team. Why isn't this economic titan from the Great Reagan era not being supported by the current crop of right wingers?
Where is David the Stock Man?

David Stockman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 AM

326 posts, read 429,884 times
He was pushing for finance/bank regulation. Republicans would never allow any kind of regulation. Especially regulation of big money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies