Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:27 PM

306 posts, read 355,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I fail to see why disclosure of your sexual preference is necessary in the military or at ANY workplace. I don't recall it being asked that question on any job application I filled out - so what is the controversy of 'don't ask don't tell'? Why ask and why tell? Do gays feel the need to be 'openly gay'? Do they want to be able to man an outpost in drag? I'm sure there are sexual deviants of all sorts in every workplace. Do THEY need approval for their sexual preference?

The military should adopt this policy - 'don't ask, and don't worry about it'.
Man an outpost in drag? Are you serious? Do you think all gay men do drag? Do you also believe all black people love watermelon and all Jewish people are greedy? Is everyone outside your world reduced to an offensive stereotype?

Gays are not asking for your approval of their sexual orientation. Your "approval" is irrelevant. Gays are simply demanding to be treated the same under the law as heterosexuals. No more no less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 12:31 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Man an outpost in drag? Are you serious? Do you think all gay men do drag? Do you also believe all black people love watermelon and all Jewish people are greedy? Is everyone outside your world reduced to an offensive stereotype?

Gays are not asking for your approval of their sexual orientation. Your "approval" is irrelevant. Gays are simply demanding to be treated the same under the law as heterosexuals. No more no less.
Most cross-dressers are actually straight men.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:33 PM

571 posts, read 943,507 times
I don't talk about my sex life in public, nor do I even act remotely gay. Not even close. I'm a nice dresser and usually groomed very well, but that's about the only way someone could tell I wasn't straight. Gay guys and straight guys who talk about their sex lives in public get on my nerves. I don't mention I'm gay to anyone in a professional setting unless I was close to that person. I'm not in the closet at all- I'll admit it to anyone who asks- but I only bring it up when it's appropriate, if that makes sense.

DADT must be repealed because guess what? The military *is* asking. If you put down that you're gay on your facebook- they can let you go. If you are seen close to another male- they'll let you go. If you are associated with gay rights groups, they can inquiry into that and let you go. If you go to a gay bar somewhere and are caught, they can let you go. It isn't fair at all and isn't working as it was originally intended.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I fail to see why disclosure of your sexual preference is necessary in the military or at ANY workplace. I don't recall it being asked that question on any job application I filled out - so what is the controversy of 'don't ask don't tell'? Why ask and why tell? Do gays feel the need to be 'openly gay'? Do they want to be able to man an outpost in drag? I'm sure there are sexual deviants of all sorts in every workplace. Do THEY need approval for their sexual preference?

The military should adopt this policy - 'don't ask, and don't worry about it'.
The thing is...is that heteros tell people their sexual preference all the time, at the workplace and everywhere else. We're just so used to it being a part of who we are that we don't even think about it.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:46 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Dont ask Dont Tell is like soooooooooooooooooooooo yesterday.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM

306 posts, read 355,166 times
Default Dadt dts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It's all about a push to normailze the abnormal and the deviations from normal. it will work against them and the military. make no mistake about it, tranvestites and trangendered will be the next demand
So it's OK for the military to lower it's standards to get recruits (they'll take people with weight and health issues, lower academic scores and criminal records) but if you're a perfectly qualified gay man or lesbian you're kicked out simply because you don't want to lie about who you are?

You'd prefer a military with overweight poorly educated convicts over a military that includes gay people?

There have been about 60 or so gay Arab linguists who have been kicked out of the military since Don't Ask Don't Tell went into effect ... and we're fighting 2 wars where those linguists could be awfully handy.

Don't Ask Don't Tell? Don't Think So.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 PM

236 posts, read 237,051 times
Well, there are loud gay people and there are loud straight people and there are loud Bi people. Tune them out. Is the OP here removing his wedding ring before going into the office? We hope not.

As for this military foo-faw-rah, we have straight friends in the military up here in Canada. They tell us that when joining the military one of the questions asked was, "Do you have issues with gay people? If you do we have issues with you."

Gays account for a relatively small portion of the military , reflecting the 10% average in society at large.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:34 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
Simple litmus test without getting all messy about it. If you're in the barracks and you hear faint humming of a Lady Gaga song, chances are he may not be into the women folk.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
Sexual orientation should have nothing to do with a persons ability to defend our country.
We as a country expect honor and honestly; yet we shame some of our soldiers to live in fear of being discharged from the military because of being gay.

MY GOD! Get the gun Helen, they said they were partners! Ya know what that means? The next thing is gay people will be able to vote! OH NO!
What da ya mean; they can vote! AHHHHHHH! Pretty soon they will be asking for the same rights that other people have.

Homophobia is the insecurity of a heterosexual.
OP, you have nothing to worry about. I'm sure (from your comments) that you are quite secure.
As far as dressing in drag; do tell.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 AM

236 posts, read 237,051 times
Odd topic, especially considering that gay men and women have existed in every walk of life as far back as, well, always. Only diff is now you know it. *wink*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies